Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power Amp Choice

DC42

Hello All,

Lots of forum threads and youtube videos on this subject. Getting ready to purchase a Helix Rack unit. Interested in a power amp but getting pulled in many directions (after reading and watching videos) regarding the best choice for an amp. Will run the Helix into my PC and DAW but also wish to use a guitar cab - non FRFR speaker hence the need for a power amp.

What set up works for you? I play at home in my music room so portability is not a factor.

Cheers,

Dave

I have and Im very happy with the seymour duncan,but I dont turn off my cab blocks and it sounds good.people will say oh you are not getting the real cabinet,its fine,depending on what I use once in awhile Ill just use my blackstar 212 cab and not the cab blocks or IR,but its rare. 

• Like 1

I'm using the helix with a mooer baby bomb into a guitar cab. It's loud enough for a rehearsal space but way too loud for home application. This is where a EHX 5mm is a good solution. Splitting the signal and routing it without cab sim to the 1/4" outs is the way to go for me.

Obviously depending on your budget and the application you're looking for you can look into a little pricier alternatives but for 100 bucks you can get a lot of power and for your money with the mooer.

4 hours ago, DC42 said:

Nice thanks for the replies! Power pedals as you both mentioned are "noisy" or add to much color to the sound? Definitely seems like some good options plus the price is right.

Appreciate the feedback.

The mooer baby bomb definitely has a noise floor that cannot be ignored, but is not too apparent in a rehearsal space. It is definitely a bigger issue in a quieter environment. I don't think it colors the sound too much, but it's hard for me to say since I cannot compare it directly to something else. Since it's solid state it should not color that much. There is a bright/warm switch though to compensate for any dullness.

For the price it's hard to find anything too wrong with it. A Seymour Duncan powerstage might feel a bit more polished and higher quality nonetheless.

• Like 1