Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

High Latency as USB Interface

mark_gamache

1 hour ago, zolko60 said:

But if you change driver to 48kHz Class Compliant you get  In 4.583ms, Out  3.354ms,  RTL 7.937

Within Logic, I can't see an option to switch between the two. The only option to operate the Helix in class compliant mode seems to be to entirely uninstall the driver delivered by Line 6 - or would you happen to know about other options? On my system (still on High Sierra, in case it matters, but I'm pretty sure it's the same on Mojave, which I could perhaps install but don't feel like, would have to slap a new GPU in), once the driver is installed, it's the only Line 6 item I can select.
As said before, for a while I used the Helix without the L6 driver, but it doesn't allow me to use other sample rates than 48kHz in Logic natively (so Logic - or rather Core Audio - has to do some realtime conversion, which only sort of works as it seems) and, even worse, I can't open files using different sample rates simultaneously in WaveLab (something I do rather often) while using the Helix as an audio device for it as well. Hence I decided to go with the Line 6 driver, even if it's really bad regarding latency.

39 minutes ago, Indianrock2020 said:

What driver are you talking about? if it's not the Helix  driver what other one works with helix

On Windows, you could try out Asio4All.

http://www.asio4all.org/

It was originally meant to deliver low latency performance for interfaces not coming with their own ASIO drivers (especially such as onboard computer interfaces, quite handy in case you only want to play virtual instruments on a laptop) but turned out to occassionally deliver better performance than the drivers delivered with some interfaces, too. Apparently this isn't true for the Helix, though (see the link to the other thread zolko60 posted).

8 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

The only option to operate the Helix in class compliant mode seems to be to entirely uninstall the driver delivered by Line 6

Yes. At least you have a choice on MacOS. 48kHz only low latency or mustisample rate high latency.

8 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

It was originally meant to deliver low latency performance for interfaces not coming with their own ASIO drivers

No. It was delivered for audio interfaces with no ASIO support. People using it noticed much lower REPORTED latencies which is fake. Still this is the only way to aggregate interfaces under Windows.

No. It was delivered for audio interfaces with no ASIO support.

Well, that's pretty much what I was saying...

People using it noticed much lower REPORTED latencies which is fake.

Compared to using a WDM driver, it's much lower - but yes, the reported latencies are wrong indeed. I don't think it's a fault of ASIO4All, though.

Whatever, I think we can perfectly agree that the latency figures of the Helix' driver are almost outstandingly bad in 2020. Even the cheapest interfaces do better.