Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do you need a DI box?

loydall

Hi - my band have just invested in a PA system - fairly standard set up - mixer, 2 active tops and an active sub.

We're running guitars (through helix) direct into the mixer. Each channel on the mixer has a gain knob (I guess a sort of preamp). Our approach is to plug the guitars in, increase the gain knob until the clipping light activates and then roll it back slightly so we get no clipping... that's how we're setting our base/input levels.

I read about using a DI box but in the set-up i just described, would you need a DI box? Seems to be running just fine as it is.

Cheers.

The only reason some people use DI boxes is to make sure phantom power doesn't affect their Helix unit.  The only reason you would need to turn on phantom power would be if you were to use condenser microphones and phantom power from the board would be necessary to power them.  Even then, depending on the mixer's capabilities, you might be able to selectively apply phantom power only to specific input channels and avoid sending it to the Helix.  On some cheaper/older mixers phantom power is turned on for all channels.  Then you would need a DI box to block the phantom power from reaching your Helix.

2 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Then you would need a DI box to block the phantom power from reaching your Helix.

He would have to use the TS outs in that case as well. 

And fwiw, loydall, why don't you use the XLR outs? The signal should be less prone to noise interferences.