Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No sound from piano

Borgelin79

Hi,

I really need some assistance with getting my piano to work with my Helix.

I have a Powercab connected to my Helix with a L6 Link-cable, and a Yamaha P-255 which I want to connect to my Helix and get the sound out on my Powercab.

So far I've tried to connect  the AUX out on the piano with a  (L & R to a single LR) jack-cable  into the AUX IN on the Helix. No sound.

Then I tried to connect it to the Return 1 on the Helix and selected Return 1 as input on a blank preset. No sound.

I have no experience with this, I've read the manuals, read some posts online, but I can't get it to work.

I also have a MIDI-cable, but as far as I know that is only for controlling one device from another but no audio-signals, correct?

I would appreciate any assistance.

1 hour ago, Borgelin79 said:

Hi,

I have a Powercab connected to my Helix with a L6 Link-cable, and a Yamaha P-255 which I want to connect to my Helix and get the sound out on my Powercab.

So far I've tried to connect  the AUX out on the piano with a  (L & R to a single LR) jack-cable  into the AUX IN on the Helix. No sound.

Then I tried to connect it to the Return 1 on the Helix and selected Return 1 as input on a blank preset. No sound.

I have no experience with this, I've read the manuals, read some posts online, but I can't get it to work.

I also have a MIDI-cable, but as far as I know that is only for controlling one device from another but no audio-signals, correct?

Hi,

I would suggest that because your P-255 is a stereo device, it may be advisable to take the separate left and right outputs on mono cables into either of the Helix returns 1/2 or 3/4 which can act as stereo input blocks. It is probably the cable you are using at the moment that is not getting the signal through.

Note: If you only have a single Powercab to monitor with, then your audio will be summed to mono.

Also, you’re correct about MIDI - it only sends digital commands and doesn’t carry audio signals.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

2 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

I would suggest that because your P-255 is a stereo device, it may be advisable to take the separate left and right outputs on mono cables into either of the Helix returns 1/2 or 3/4 which can act as stereo input blocks. It is probably the cable you are using at the moment that is not getting the signal through.

Note: If you only have a single Powercab to monitor with, then your audio will be summed to mono.

Also, you’re correct about MIDI - it only sends digital commands and doesn’t carry audio signals.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thank you, I will try what you say. I have the Powercab 212 Plus.

Time to order a new cable then.

This sounds like a NOOB question. Not that that's a character flaw or anything. The Helix has so many options it's easy to get lost, even when it comes to connecting an instrument. I suspect your issue with the AUX is your input isn't set to AUX or MULTI. Your cable does need to be MONO but I would think you would still hear something if the input setting is correct. Check your input to make sure AUX or MULTI is selected. In the case of the FX RETURN, I didn't totally understand your response but you actually need to put a FX RETURN block in your path and turn it on and make sure the settings are correct (mix and that kind of stuff). Note also that it can be set to Line or Instrument level. I'm pretty sure you want Line level. The only other thing (and still catches me every now and then) is the output. There are so many output options, make sure the output selection is correct. I hope it's one of these. If not, I'm a little stumped.

I have my Casio Privia connected as mentioned above, via two 1/4" cables into Helix returns 1/2.  From there it's just like any other input and output either through the USB to the DAW or XLR to studio monitors or  XLR L/Mono to a FRFR speaker.  You do need to check your input block as well, especially if your running it with guitar and want to allocate the piano to a different signal chain than the guitar.  Mine isn't that fancy.  I have a separate preset for my piano with my XLR outputs from the Helix connected to the studio monitors.  Select the preset and play.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:29 AM, Borgelin79 said:

Hi,

Like DD mentioned check your input block on the Helix. Make sure  is set to "Aux" or "Return *" or you may be able to use "Multi"  depending on how you are connecting. Check your output block's setting as well. If that doesn't work you can also try testing the Helix with a guitar if you have one to make sure that your L6 Link cabling is good from the Helix to the PC and that the PC is set up properly. Lastly you can test your keyboard directly to the PC without the Helix.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your feedback.

I got a new cable with dual jacks in both ends, connected the L output on the piano to Return 2, the R on the piano to Return 1.

Have a blank preset with the input-block set to Return 1/2 and output to multi.

Still no sound. Done everything according to what I can read from Yamaha's manual for the piano.

I'm kinda stumped, but will continue to fiddle around.

Everything works fine with my guitar and MAC plugged in. I can play backing-tracks from my MAC while i play lead, everything outputs nicely through the 212 powercab.

EDIT:

I got it working!

It seems I missed a Function-setting on the P-255. Should have read more thoroughly.

Thank you all again for your contributions.

Edited by Borgelin79
  • Thanks 1