Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.82 Helix firmware OK for Mountain Lion?

stratblue

4 hours ago, stratblue said:

Hi there.

Is there anyone running the latest 2.82 firmware on Mountain Lion (10.8.3)?

Thanks.

Hi,

This question has appeared on a few previous occasions and as Mountain Lion was released in mid 2012 the usual answer is “why?”.

OSX updates are free.

IIRC, the release notes for one of the previous FW updates (2.5?) contained the comment: Note OSX Mavericks is no longer supported.

(I just cannot find the link for that at the moment)

Edit:

See my comment from 10 February 2018 posted in this thread:

https://line6.com/support/topic/31909-hx-edit-251/

Edited by datacommando
Added info

Hi there.

Thanks for the reply. I'm on Mountain Lion and I'll be on it for a while longer, as for the question 'why?' I'd be happy to explain at risk of boring you to death so this forum is hardly the place for such an off topic discussion.

So, the question remains, does anyone have experience of running the latest firmware/editor on Mountain Lion. A supplemental question might be regarding the latest that will run on Mountain Lion.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, stratblue said:

So, the question remains, does anyone have experience of running the latest firmware/editor on Mountain Lion. A supplemental question might be regarding the latest that will run on Mountain Lion.

Short answer - No!
I’m not quite sure if you didn’t understand my reply which I shall repeat once more for clarification.

The final line of the release notes for Firmware 2.50, under improvements and changes, states:

Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) is no longer supported.

From that, I would think, the inference would be if FW 2.50 doesn’t function with OSX 10.9, that’s a “cut off point” therefore, it will not work with the earlier 10.8. X Mountain Lion or any prior OS.

Here's a quote from "surfbop1" in a thread from Feb 2018

"I am using Mountain Lion and Edit 2.51 does not work for me.  The firmware 2.5 is there but the edit will not work.  I noticed on the edit down load page that Mavericks and Mountain Lion are no longer supported.  I can't update past Mountain Lion as I'm using PT10.  Hope we're not SOL.  I think I will try the Mac download and hope that works.  Worst case would be at 2.50  with the 2.30 editor."

The trouble with his "worst case" theory and why it won't work is HX Edit and the Helix Firmware revision number MUST MATCH

You could try v2.3 from November 2017, but again - why? 

It may be harsh, but it looks like you are going to have to upgrade your OS if you wish to take full advantage of the way Helix is progressing. Another option is to have a friend install the latest Firmware and only use the Helix as a hardware editor and not use HX Edit or maybe buy a Windows PC. Or keep banging the rocks together!

Hopefully, that will clear up the issues you are currently having.

Edited by datacommando
Added info