Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connectivity Question. Can either HX Stomp or HX Effects Do This?

ToneJones

26 minutes ago, ToneJones said:

Is it possible to run one of these units in the loop of my amp and also run the line out of my amp into the IR section only and out to either a PA or DAW? I'd like to be able to capture the power amp stage of my amp prior to processing with an IR.

"Line out" is typically a "preamp out"...it exits the amp before the power amp stage. If you want the sound of the entire amp, power section and all, fed into an IR, then you need a load box between the speaker outs and the Helix... otherwise the fire department will show up, and you'll be left with a very expensive, charred paperweight...;)

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, ToneJones said:

Per the manual of my amp:

"LINE OUT  A line level signal jack derived from the speaker output which contains the whole tone of the amplifier."

Even if this wasn't the case and I was using a load box, my connectivity question stands.

I think they're saying the same thing as what cruisinon2 was saying...just in a different way.  If it's a line level signal it's not coming from the power amp, it's coming from the preamp where the tone is developed which may also include some tone aspects of the speaker added to it, but it certainly wouldn't be the same signal that would be what is sent to a speaker cabinet which is a fully amplified signal.  Someone with more experience with the HXStomp and HXEffects would have to give you what output options are available from the units, but I would imagine it would be user configured as either a Line or Instrument level or possibly Mic level signal.

Bottom line, if you can feed the output of that LINE OUT on your amp into your DAW, you should be able to do the same thing with the Stomp or the Effects.

21 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I think they're saying the same thing as what cruisinon2 was saying...just in a different way. 

Hard to say... the description is a bit nebulous. "Derived from the speaker output" could mean just about anything they want. My gut reaction is that it's just as fodder, and they want you to think that this thing magically produces the tonal equivalent of a cranked amp into a load box, without actually having one. Then again, I don't trust anybody, so who knows? Maybe that's exactly what it does does... not that long ago, the things Helix can do would have been considered witchcraft. ;)

I'm not sure I really understand what you're asking, based on your latest reply. Are you saying you want to:

(1) Use the Stomp in the effects loop of your amp, and use the return of that as an output by itself, bypassing any additional processing; and

(2) Run the line out of your amp back into the Stomp, through an IR block, and have that be another output?

I'm kinda confused by this is this is really what you're asking. That first output will just be your amp's preamp sound + Stomp effects, but no power amp or cab emulation, and won't sound good for anything unless you're running it into something else that does those things.

Are you really asking for this?: the effects loop of your amp goes into the Stomp, gets some effects processing done, goes back into the return of your amp, and then the line out of your amp goes back into the Stomp into an IR block? And then a single output of all that? If so, yes, that should work just fine.  Wait, maybe not. Lemme think...

8 minutes ago, qwerty42 said:

Are you really asking for this?: the effects loop of your amp goes into the Stomp, gets some effects processing done, goes back into the return of your amp, and then the line out of your amp goes back into the Stomp into an IR block? And then a single output of all that? If so, yes, that should work just fine.  Wait, maybe not. Lemme think...

This.

1 minute ago, ToneJones said:

This.

Ok, gotcha. With the LT or Floor, you could do this no problem. With the Stomp, you run out of effects send/returns. That said, I think, maybe, you could do it like this:

• Guitar -> Amp
  • Amp FX Loop Send -> Stomp Guitar In
  • Stomp FX Loop Send -> Amp FX Loop Return
  • Amp Line Out -> Stomp FX Loop Return

Then for the patch layout in the Stomp, you have it start with the standard guitar input as the front of the chain, your effects you wanted, then an FX loop block, and an IR block at the end. Then the output would go to the stereo outs of the Stomp.

If there's a flaw in my logic, others please correct me, but I *think* that would work.

26 minutes ago, ToneJones said:

Thanks. I still need another output from the HX Stomp IR to either FOH or DAW. Wonder if the standard output jack on the HX would work since the FX send was being used for the return to the amp?

Yes, that is how it works. The signal routing on these units is very flexible.

What I suggested leaves you with the standard L/R stereo output free to run to FOH, as well as the stereo headphone jack to use. You can get the audio straight into your DAW via the USB connection (and still get hardware monitoring from the Stomp with super low latency if you plug into either of those two outputs I just mentioned).

12 minutes ago, ToneJones said:

Cool thanks. I appreciate your help!

No prob. If you do end up trying this, maybe report back here to let others know how well it worked. I think the biggest unknown will be what that line output from your amp really sounds/feels like, when running it through an IR. Also, as a final check you should confirm the amp's effects loop is instrument-level. They usually are, but if it's higher, then my suggested routing into the guitar input might not work so well.