Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x And Variax Problem

WardMan

So, my brand new HD500X came yesterday. I've already got a DT25 and a Variax 600. Hooked it up using the L6 Link and the Variax VDI Cable.

Problem - the sounds cuts in and out.

Tried it with a 'normal' guitar plugged in - no problems. Tried it with Variax plugged in - problem returns.

Plugged Variax into my old X3L - no problems. Signal gets through ok and no problems with tone.

So at this stage I'm thinking the problem is inside the HD500X. The VDI cable is ok because it works in the X3L, the L6 Link is ok, the rest of the HD500X is ok because the strat worked through it.

Am I missing something here, or have I got a dodgy POD?

You seem to have ruled out all the other components...maybe try updating/reflashing the latest firmware on the HD. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

Forgot to mention I've already done that. Thanks for the idea though.

Anyone else?

Please clarify exactly how you have things hooked up when you get the problem.

Is it Variax 600 -> VDI -> HD500X -> L6 Link -> DT25   and all sound cuts in and out on your DT25 ?

If you replace the Variax 600  -> VDI  with Strat -> 1/4 inch cable  then everything is fine?

If you use the Variax 600 with VDI with X3L is everything OK?  

If that is correct then you have narrowed the problem down to the VDI socket on the HD500X.   It could be that there is a bent pin in the socket or maybe some dirt - so it is worth giving it a quick clean with some switch cleaner.  It is also worth trying to use the short ethercon cable that came with the Variax for use with the USB dongle - the one that only has the lockable shielding at one end) - and see if that works.   It is also worth trying just a standard Ethernet cable just to see if that works.  If the problem continues after trying cleaning and different cables, then I suggest you send the unit back and ask for a new replacement.

Please clarify exactly how you have things hooked up when you get the problem.

Is it Variax 600 -> VDI -> HD500X -> L6 Link -> DT25   and all sound cuts in and out on your DT25 ?

If you replace the Variax 600  -> VDI  with Strat -> 1/4 inch cable  then everything is fine?

If you use the Variax 600 with VDI with X3L is everything OK?  

If that is correct then you have narrowed the problem down to the VDI socket on the HD500X.   It could be that there is a bent pin in the socket or maybe some dirt - so it is worth giving it a quick clean with some switch cleaner.  It is also worth trying to use the short ethercon cable that came with the Variax for use with the USB dongle - the one that only has the lockable shielding at one end) - and see if that works.   It is also worth trying just a standard Ethernet cable just to see if that works.  If the problem continues after trying cleaning and different cables, then I suggest you send the unit back and ask for a new replacement.

Thanks. It's routed exactly as you've outlined. When it does cut out, I try the tuner on the HD500X and there's no signal so it does look like it's the VDI socket. I'll have a good look at it tomorrow and see if it's dirty.

I didn't get the USB dongle with the Variax, but I have a spare network cable I'll try out just to eliminate the possibility of it being the VDI cable.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Sorted (I think). Had the wrong power lead plugged in - I only had a choice of 3 on my powerboard. Obviously need to get my eyes checked!

Plugged in the correct Line 6 lead and it works fine. Also nice to see they've gone to a DC adapter now rather than the AC adapters they used to use which were so hard to get replacements for here in Australia.

Just played for a while with the correct power lead plugged in and the problem didn't occur so hopefully it is fixed.

Sorted (I think). Had the wrong power lead plugged in - I only had a choice of 3 on my powerboard. Obviously need to get my eyes checked!

Plugged in the correct Line 6 lead and it works fine. Also nice to see they've gone to a DC adapter now rather than the AC adapters they used to use which were so hard to get replacements for here in Australia.

Just played for a while with the correct power lead plugged in and the problem didn't occur so hopefully it is fixed.

Great news.  Glad its sorted.

I think Line6 should have changed the power plug when they changed their power supplies from AC to DC.  Most of us have the old ones laying around and it's easy to plug in the wrong one.  Even if you are aware of the difference it's easy to make a mistake if you are moving your stuff around often.