Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

App Loses Connection With Amp

krisreese

Thanks Gareth for clarifying.  I'm glad you found a solution and able to start getting the most out of your AMPLIFI.  It's sure frustrating when a username and password seems to just disappear -- and a bit spooky.  Today it was a Line 6 account, tomorrow it could be the 401K plan. Digital-reality seems to be our modern version of the old Chinese curse of "living in interesting times."  Anyway, glad you're diggin' the amp!  AE

• 4 weeks later...

***NOTE: Marking this as Solved only for visibility purposes***
UPDATED

Thanks, all, for taking the AMPLIFi plunge with us. We’re still seeing a lot of positive response from this amp.

At this point, with the release of firmware version 1.01.0, we're seeing fewer and fewer cases of Bluetooth connectivity issues. If you have updated to firmware 1.01.0 (check for your firmware version in the Settings...Updates screen of the app), and you've followed all post-update instructions found on the app and in our AMPLIFi Knowledge Base articles, we’re asking that those who are still experiencing Bluetooth issues to create a support ticket at www.line6.com/support, supplying the following data:

· Do you experience audio (streaming) or data (remote control) dropouts?
· How often do you experience dropouts per day?
· How far is your iOS device from the amplifier when the dropouts occur?
· Do you experience short audio dropouts when editing amp parameters? This is considered normal.
· Are you switching between apps when this happens?
· How do you re-establish the connection?
· Serial number (please register the amp or Private Message me if you don’t want to publish this info)

Our staff will then take further steps to try to find the root cause and then determine appropriate actions.

Line 6 Customer Support

i mean that when it asks me to log in, before i can even use the app, i put my line 6 username and password into the required fields, and all i got was an 'unable to log into line6' message!

Anyway, as a workaround Ive had to create a new line 6 account, & a new email account in order to get it working!

That is strange, I wonder if the servers were glitching at the time?

I bought the 150 yesterday and have the same problem. The Bluetooth connection is up as I can play music from my iPhone however after changing a few effects or selecting different amps or cabinets the change is not being applied to the amp. If I close and restart the app it will work again until I make a few changes. I have the same problem using an iPhone and iPad both running the current ios. I'm fairly confident this will be resolved with an update at some point so I'm leaning towards keeping the amp. It's just a little frustrating. Another thing that irritates me is when you select a song from your library it starts playing immediately, before you even get a list of tones. I have to tap pause two time to stop the music. I would prefer to try some of the tones first and start the song when I'm ready.

I have also had this happen to me today - to the point that I ended up playing through my Mac so I could at get some time with hands on a guitar!  I have the latest iPhone with latest updates (iOS 7.1) on it, updated the Amplifi (75) to the latest firmware yesterday. I can play music via amplifi remote app to the amp but none of the tones affect the sound if I try them.  My iPhone has just died (bluetooth really seems a drain) but I couldn't use the level button or tuner button and (greyed out) and the little icon of the AMPLIFi remote app had synching next to it.  I am logged into my line6 account on the app.  AMPLIFi remote version is V 1.00.1

I am right in thinking I can either select a track and it should find tone(s) which if i select will change the settings on the amp, or I can just select one stored in favourites (meaning it has a red bar with a speaker icon) and that should change the tone appropriately right?  Nothing more complicated than that?

Phone was sitting on the amp at the time.  Ser No of amp is (21) ***************

I do also have the amplify app on the iPad too and have created/saved to favourites on both the iPad and iPhone but cannot check the iPad right now it as my wife is using it :-(

Amp seems great but app seems pretty flaky right now if I'm being honest.  I'm hoping it will be stabilised and functionality improved too: compared to many of the music apps I have it isn't great.  Concept is fantastic and I am sure all minor issues will be ironed out shortly...

A user guide would be helpful - is there one and have I just missed it or is t supposed to be so intuitive no-one needs one?

One other query - how do I remove a tone from my favourites?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks

Shakey

Edited by Triryche
removed SN

HI Shakey. To remove a tone from your favorites, you need to go back to the song where you selected the tone as a favorite and de-select it. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to remember which song you used.  For this reason, I save tones I  as "My Tones" where it is easier to remove. AE

Tony -- can you provide us with step-by-step directions to update the firmware?  Frankly, I'm confused.  You mention Version 1.0.4 which I can't find. The only update I've seen previously (which I installed) is 1.00.5.  However, while my Settings>Updates>Amp Flash shows shows 1.00.5 (updated fro 1.00.1), when I go to Settings>About>About AMPLIFI Remote, it still says Version 1.00.1  It's all confusing.  Does this mean that I DON'T have 1.00.5 installed or is it that the "About" setting saying 1.00.1 is wrong and didn't change to 1.00.5 after the install?  As for Version 1.0.4 that you mentioned, I see it nowhere. Did you mean 1.00.5?  -- help!  Your clarification is needed here please.  Thanks!  AE

Tony -- can you provide us with step-by-step directions to update the firmware?  Frankly, I'm confused.  You mention Version 1.0.4 which I can't find. The only update I've seen previously (which I installed) is 1.00.5.  However, while my Settings>Updates>Amp Flash shows shows 1.00.5 (updated fro 1.00.1), when I go to Settings>About>About AMPLIFI Remote, it still says Version 1.00.1  It's all confusing.  Does this mean that I DON'T have 1.00.5 installed or is it that the "About" setting saying 1.00.1 is wrong and didn't change to 1.00.5 after the install?  As for Version 1.0.4 that you mentioned, I see it nowhere. Did you mean 1.00.5?  -- help!  Your clarification is needed here please.  Thanks!  AE

I have the same thing.  Thinking the 1.00.1 refers to the version of Amplifi Remote application rather than the Firmware on the amp itself? In theory you could be using the same Amplifi Remote with two different amps with tow different versions of firmware.

HI Shakey. To remove a tone from your favorites, you need to go back to the song where you selected the tone as a favorite and de-select it. Unfortunately, it's not always easy to remember which song you used.  For this reason, I save tones I  as "My Tones" where it is easier to remove. AE

Thanks Eddy - I'd better start noting where the tines come from now then! Or follow your suggestion.

I have the same thing.  Thinking the 1.00.1 refers to the version of Amplifi Remote application rather than the Firmware on the amp itself? In theory you could be using the same Amplifi Remote with two different amps with tow different versions of firmware.

Good point Shakey -- and I think you may be right about the AMPLIFI Remote vs Firmware.  I still would like to know if there is a V1.0.4 or if that is a mistake.  AE

1.) Amp Flash Version 1.00. This is after receiving the message update successful.

2.) It drops whether the iPad is 2 feet from the amp or in the next room.

3.) It cuts out when switching between the Ampfli app and the Music Reader App on the iPad.

I've read through this thread twice now and have tried all the suggestions to update my FW to 1.00.5. I've even uninstalled the app twice and every time I go into settings in the Amplifi app it says my FW is 1.00 and if I use the reload button (upper right ) it still says I have the latest. I tried to load this version and it starts to then it stops and says the FW is updated after about 7 seconds and tells me to power cycle the amp. I do this and reconnect to the amp and the version still says 1.00 What the hell???

Have I got a bad unit or what?? Just got it yesterday from Sweetwater.

1.) Amp Flash Version 1.00. This is after receiving the message update successful.

2.) It drops whether the iPad is 2 feet from the amp or in the next room.

3.) It cuts out when switching between the Ampfli app and the Music Reader App on the iPad.

1. We fixed the server problem that kept you from updating to 1.00.5. We encourage you to attempt the update again. Please open a support ticket with us at the link below if you have updated to the lastest version of the AMPLIFi Amp Flash (1.00.5) and AMPLIFi Remote app indicates that you are running Amp Flash 1.00 after performing the update:

http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

2. If you are experiencing any kind of Bluetooth connection issues, we recommend that you go though all of the available suggestions we put together on our AMPLIFi Bluetooth Connectivity Troubleshooting guide at the link below:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifiers/ampl/amplifibluetoothconnectivity

3. An important thing to note about the AMPLIFi Remote app functionality is that in addition to the iOS Bluetooth connection between your AMPLIFi and your iOS device, there is a secondary 'sync' connection between the amp and the app. Each time you minimize/close the app, the connection between the AMPLIFi Remote app and the AMPLIFi will need to be re-established, even if your iOS device is reporting that the AMPLIFi is connected via 'Bluetooth'. In this case, re-opening the AMPLIFi Remote app, will automatically re-establish the connection within a few seconds. Make sure to look at the main menu of the AMPLIFi Remote app and wait for it to indicate that your amp is 'connected' before moving forward using the app. If it does not automatically re-connect, close the AMPLIFi Remote app by double-tapping your iOS home key and then sliding the AMPLIFi Remote app window up and off the screen to fully close the app. Then relaunch the AMPLIFi Remote app and it should re-sync itself with the amp.

Thanks Line6Don for the above input.  While we have you on line, let me ask you the following...

Even with the updated FW...  have you noticed the same experience as many users here that the Bluetooth connection is spotty and often very short-ranged?  Is Line 6 looking into this?

I think a more robust and dependable bluetooth connection is the most important adjustment Line 6 needs to make on the Amplifi.  Without it, any bluetooth function simply isn't dependable for recording, gigs or even home use and significantly narrows Amplifi's usefulness and appeal.    AE

Your welcome ArchTopEddy! Check out Line6Tony's post at the top of the page to see where we are currently at. If you can please post your answers to the questions asksed (if you haven't already PM'ed Line6Tony) it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I just bought the 175 and I keep losing Bluetooth connection. The Bluetooth indicator on the amp is solid (I.e., not flashing), the connection shows that my iPad3 is Bluetooth connected within the iPad System app, but the Amplifi app says no connection. I reconnect and as soon as I tap on my music library, the connection is lost. My iPad is sitting in the handle slot of the amp and I updated the firmware just a couple of days ago when I bought the amp. I'm at a a loss.

Hi. Sorry to see you run into trouble. Does this happen in all locales, in the event there is possible WiFi/Bluetooth interference in one particular location?

Also, have tried this from our Knowledge Base?

Perform these steps after updating the firmware of AMPLIFi 150/75 to version 1.01.0

Perform a Factory Reset after FW Update

Note: Performing a ‘Factory Reset’ replaces all device presets, including customized presets, with the factory presets. You can backup your device presets by saving them to My Tones prior to performing the Factory Reset procedure.

• Turn off AMPLIFi 150/75
  • While pressing and holding both the large Master Volume knob and the Tone Select button, switch the power back on
  • Re-pair the Bluetooth connection between the amp and your iOS device
  • Exit the AMPLIFi Remote app (double-press the Home button then drag the app up from the multitasking display)
  • Re-launch the AMPLIFi Remote app; hardware should connect automatically

The process has completed when the A preset is lit. 

I've followed all the steps, even flashed my amp back to the first update and then back to 1.0.1 and re installed the app, reset my phone's network settings and tried leaving my phone sitting on the amp it's self, I love this 150 but the bluetooth just doesn't function well. I can get through a song or 2 fine when just listening but if im jamming along i get drops every 1 to 2 minutes, It's frustrating.

I've followed all the steps, even flashed my amp back to the first update and then back to 1.0.1 and re installed the app, reset my phone's network settings and tried leaving my phone sitting on the amp it's self, I love this 150 but the bluetooth just doesn't function well. I can get through a song or 2 fine when just listening but if im jamming along i get drops every 1 to 2 minutes, It's frustrating.

I'm sorry to see that happen. For best results, please make sure to update the app to v1.20 and the amp to v1.01.0, then perform the above reset.

Otherwise, to rule out where the issues is, please try to connect with a different iOS 7 device. We've seen a few cases where the issue was the iOS device. Lastly, if you are able to get to a store or a friend that has an AMPLIFi and are able to pair your iOS device and not see these issues, then your particular unit should be replaced at the retailer or repaired under warranty with us or by an authorized service center (http://line6.com/find/service_center/). Please start a support ticket with us for an RMA if need be at line6.com/support.

• 4 months later...

Well, I'm on day one with my AMPLIFI 150 and I'm having a LOT of trouble with bluetooth connections.

Worked okay the very first time I tried it with my iPhone - but I have reached a point where I cannot call up or edit any tones at all! The app acts as if it is working, calls up the tones okay and lets me edit - the phone (and the iPad I have tried) can play back through the AMPLIFI no problem, but the app says "None" under the AMPLIFI heading in settings.

If I shut down everything and restart it all (amp and app) it will come back temporarily, but as soon as I try to load a new tone - it fails.

So I am stuck with the 4 factory sounds and an expensive bluetooth dock.

I did the full firmware upgrades and got the App up to the latest version - no difference.

· Do you experience audio (streaming) or data (remote control) dropouts? Remote control drop outs
· How often do you experience dropouts per day? every tine I use it
· How far is your iOS device from the amplifier when the dropouts occur? less than 3 feet
· Do you experience short audio dropouts when editing amp parameters? This is considered normal. not getting that far tbh
· Are you switching between apps when this happens? not between apps, between tones
· How do you re-establish the connection? full shut down of everthing , amp and app
· Serial number (please register the amp or Private Message me if you don’t want to publish this info)
Amp was unboxed yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to see you run into trouble. We supply support via phone and support ticket at www.line6.com/support. However, you may resolve the issue by "forgetting" the Bluetooth pairing on your phone, uninstalling the app, updating the amp to firmware 2.10 if not there already, then reinstalling that app and pairing via Bluetooth.

• 2 months later...

I am on the most recent version of the app on my ipad and suing an Amplifi 150. I keep 'losing the data connection'.  I don't get this as the Amplifi is still playing my music track but I cannot change guitar tones and it wont get tones from the cloud.  Help please!  Have tried losing the device and repairing but this makes no difference.

brianabram, please contact our staff directly with a ticket at www.line6.com/support/tickets so they can troubleshoot with you. In the meantime, try this: unpair Bluetooth, turn off Bluetooth, uninstall app, power cycle your iPad and the amp. Power them both again, install the app and pair via Bluetooth. Also find if this problem occurs with all IOS or Android devices.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I bought an AMPLIFi 75 yesterday. After unpacking, I carefully read all the instructions, downloaded the AMPLIFi Utility and did all the firmware updates following the exact instructions given in the utility app (including update mode anda factory reset procedures).

I tried all the possible solutions given so far in this post, and none of them worked.

I experimented all of this with several devices with android 4.4 and with my iPod 5th gen.

Still, not only the Amplifi Remote App keeps loosing sinc, as even only playing music from my library with other music players it has lots of interferences.

My android device was never farer than 6,5 feet.

I have several other bluetooth devices (including bluetooth headphones) than won't show any problems, so I can assure that there are no interference sources issues or barriers or objets in the middle that can cause this connectivity problem. I can even go with my BT phones from a room to another and I feel no interference at all.

So, I can only believe that there's some bug that needs to be fixed in the firmwares (because my problems don't happen only with Amplifi Remote) or there is a problem with the BT receiver itself....

I really hope Line 6 can solve this quickly, the amp is great, but without BT working properly, it looses all fun.

I have several other products of Line 6, nad never had this kind of problems....

Please, guys, workout a good solution.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

There definitely has to be some software issue.

I've had my 75 for about a month now. When I first booted it up I couldn't sync between the amp and iPad. I just had 'no device' After spending time updating the software on the iPad and amp I still had 'no device'. I switched off all bluetooth devices nearby, sat my iPad (with bluetooth active) on top of the amp and still 'no device'.

As a last resort I re-installed the original firmware (1.01 if memory serves) on my amp and lo and behold I was up and running. I had my amp active on my iPad, I experienced a few drop outs but at least I had a functioning product. Have been noodling away all afternoon. Am reluctant to upgrade the firmware on my amp again incase i'm back to 'no device'.

• 3 weeks later...

Experiencing the same issues here with a Amplifi 150. Using iPad with latest IOS. Amp connects with iPad, although I need to push-hold the bluetooth button on the amp to make it connect. The app loads fine and works, but after a few minutes the data connection is lost. Sometimes I have to log in to line6 again. Closing and starting the app restores the connection. Highly frustrating. Seems to me the software is not stable at all. Software version is 2.12.1

Please help. 

All, please make sure to update your amp and the app, as well as review the suggestions at http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifi-products/ampl/amplifiseriesfaq, particularly the part about the app needing to re-sync after switching between foreground and background apps. That page also includes a link to update instructions.

All, please make sure to review the suggestions at http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifi-products/ampl/amplifiseriesfaq, particularly the part about the app needing to re-sync after switching between foreground and background.

Thank you, Tony, that is valuable information, but I am afraid this doesn't help. The connection is lost most often when using tone search and that is done over Wifi as my iPad uses this to connect to the Internet; not while maximising/unmaximising it....

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same issue. Latest FW on my 150 (SN:TMA2L6401007751) and iOS on my iPad, as per Jun 2015.

When starting the app, it connects and starts syncing. After just a minute or so, the connection drops and I have to kill the app and restart it. Mostly this works, but sometimes I also have to forget the bluetooth device and repair. Very frustrating. This have been going on since I don't know when. Perhaps 6 months at least.

One thing though. Even when Amplifi app looses connection, all other apps like Spotify, Youtube or Music player streams music without interruption, so this seems to be either something with the Amplify Remote or something with Bluetooth Rx from the Amplifi 150.

• 1 month later...

I just got a 150 and spent most of the day with it. The 150 has the latest firmware flash, the iPad has the latest iOS, I used a fresh download of the Amplifi Remote, etc., etc., no local interference, multiple devices tested, yadda, yadda, yadda.

The amp pairs with the iPad. No problem. Anything that would go to the iPad's speaker or headphone jack gets routed to the amp. No problem. Walk across the room, iTunes is still playing, Metronomics is still tapping the beat, whatever. No problem.

It's the Remote App that's driving me crazy: It loses "its" connection at the drop of a hat. Bluetooth stays connected and background apps keep playing -- the amp's working fine as an iPad speaker, but Remote App is out to lunch. Fiddle with the controls, load a tone, search for a tone, cross your eyes, almost anything you do: chances are good Remote App will lose its connection and say "No Device." Indefinitely. Maybe it'll come back if you switch around in the menus and then go back to the main menu and wait. Maybe not. Sometimes closing Remote App down completely and restarting it will get it reconnected. Sometimes not. Sometimes the only way to get Remote App to talk to the (still happily Bluetooth-connected) Amplifi again is to shut everything down, restart, forget the connection, re-pair and wind up in the same circular cluster-morass again.

That's the whole point of my post: Bluetooth connectivity is not the problem (at least one for me); it's the interaction between the Amplifi and the Remote App, which is totally flakey.

I love the sound(s) of this amp, but until the Remote App works consistently I could never recommend it.

I am currently very frustrated and working on seriously annoyed. Please fix the stability of the Remote App/Amplifi connection. Thank you.

• Upvote 2

Hello people at Line6? It seems there are quite some issues with the connectivity; can you please have the courtesy to reply & help? Yes, the Amplifi 150 is potentially a wonderful product, but the connectivity issue makes is very frustrating to work with. This is not what I and a lot of others expected when they choose your product. I have a few friends who consider buying one, but I honestly cannot recommend it to them. 

• Upvote 1

Hello people at Line6? It seems there are quite some issues with the connectivity; can you please have the courtesy to reply & help? Yes, the Amplifi 150 is potentially a wonderful product, but the connectivity issue makes is very frustrating to work with. This is not what I and a lot of others expected when they choose your product. I have a few friends who consider buying one, but I honestly cannot recommend it to them. 

Unfortunately, this is a community forum.  Line 6 doesn't provide any help here.  You can submit an official support ticket by going to http://line6.com/support/tickets/

It is what it is. Amplifi 150 or 75 is an excellent device for playback of MP3's to play along with your guitar for practice or NON professional entertainment. The Bluetooth connectivity problem that has existed since day 1 of Amplifi will more than likely NEVER BE FIXED. Not because of Line 6 but because of the unstable nature of Bluetooth. I only playback music on the Amplifi through a wired connection to Aux input from my Ipad. I also use my Android tablet to control the Amplifi and use nothing else on the tablet. Yes I use two devices.. one for sheet music and MP3 playback and another to contol the Amplifi. If you attempt multitasking on any device controlling the Amplifi...IT WILL ALWAYS disconnect.

You can not use any other app on your IOS or Android device if you are using the Amplifi App to control the Amplifi. Multitasking DOES NOT WORK with the Amplifi app. IT IS WHAT IT IS AND NOTHING MORE. A great sounding amp for practice not intended for professional use.