Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

App Loses Connection With Amp

krisreese

I went out and bought the 75 watt version today. I was there asking about it before Guitar Center was even able to unpack their delivery. I played with it for long enough in the store to see that I wanted it. I got it home this evening and started checking out every amp and effect one by one. When I got to the Mod effects I noticed that when I changed effects, nothing was happening sound wise. I am using an iPhone 5S ios 7.0.4. I made sure all apps were closed and tried again and still the effects were not changing. I did a hard reboot on the phone and picked up where I left off. After making a few changes, the sounds stopped changing. I started poking around the app and found that it said it was not connected to the amp. I checked the bluetooth connections in the phone and it said it was connected to the amp. I opened up the music app on my phone and started a song and it was playing through the amp which proved the phone was synced to the amp. Problem is that even though the connection between the phone and amp appeared to be solid, the app would lose connection with the amp. Doesn't make sense unless there is a bug in the app.

I will say that the amp sounded great, as long as it was working properly. I even ran an 8 string through it and the 8 inch speaker handled it without a problem and it didn't sound muddy at all. I didn't crank it, but at a low volume it sounds great.

This was my one fear with this amp. If you have problems with the app, you are dead in the water other than the 4 presets that are in the amp itself.

"the app would lose connection with the amp" - is the only thing making you say that the fact that mod effects aren't actually being added?

If so, I may be stating the completely obvious but I wonder if the only issue is that you aren't powering on the mod effects?  There's a little power icon to the right in the same title bar that the effects name shows up in.  In most patches I've used so far the mod effect is off initially so you need to turn it on.

Yes I was using the power button with the effects, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

After using the new version of the app, 1.00.1, it appears that it did not fix the issue. I played with the amp some more last night and found that it the app loses connection mostly when changing the parameters in an effect. It seemed to happen most in the Mod and Delay effects. Surprisingly it appears to happen most when using just and amp emulation and one effect.

As I had said before, I would go into an effect that I was using and try to make some changes. I would notice that the changes weren't doing anything to modify the sound. I would go back to the menu and it would say that the amp was not connect. I would kill the app by double clicking on the home button and swiping up on the AMPLIFi app to make it disappear. I would then restart the app and it would connect to the amp and everything would work correctly again.

I am a little disappointed that I have not heard from Line 6 support on the ticket I submitted. They say that they respond within 3 business days and it has only been 2 days, but I really would like to know if this is a known issue and if they are working on a fix for it.

I saw the amp flash update 1.00.5 and applied it. I didn't do thorough testing, but in the little bit of testing I did, it appeared to be more stable. JoeDogInKC, I saw your post about the ABCD button not working and turned to amp back on to see and you are correct, it no longer works. Two steps forward and ones step back. I will give it another week or so before I decide whether to keep the amp or not. I think a few months down the road they will have the kinks ironed out and hopefully do more for the app to make it better, but I don't know if I want to hold on to the amp while they finish developing it.

Re; the FBV not working - Are you synced via Bluetooth? if you are syncing Bluetooth to the amp the FBV controller will not control the amp, as the control is now in the hands of the IOS7 device.  once you turn off BT sync the FBV will be functional. 

I also saw where I had to completely resync the AMPLIFi when changing between iPad and iPhone. I have a small $50 bluetooth speaker that goes between the two ios devices without a problem, why can't an amp I paid $400 do the same? I have already returned my AMPLIFi back to Guitar Center. The AMPLIFi has the potential to be something much better, but I don't want to own it while it is still under development. It almost seems as though it was rushed to market for NAMM.

I will keep the app on my phone and watch for updates to see how it develops in the future and may buy the 150 watt version if they make it fully functional. One of the things I would like to see would be to get the USB port working. You should be able to manage the AMPLIFi with your computer and I would also like to be able to record directly through the USB port. I think management through the USB port is a must. Being entirely dependent on a wireless device invites disaster. Well not disaster, but loss of ability to edit. I would also like to see a much larger library of presets that you can browse. Maybe a professionally developed library and not one entirely dependent on the users to build. Nothing against other people settings, but there was much to be desired in the few I messed with.

The issue with having to resync was not the defining issue to return it. There are several points I have for returning it, a few of which I listed with the primary being that I feel it was not ready for prime time when they released it.

But, if it is to be completely controlled by bluetooth, one should not have to go through reconfiguring the sync just because they change the ios device they are using (I am taking into consideration that each device has been previously used with that particular AMPLIFI). You should be able to flip the power switch on and walk across the room, or as far as your cord will let you, and start playing.

I'm having a similar problem. The app is not connecting to the amp sometimes. But the amp is bluetooth connected to the ipad fine when this happens. If you switch over to the Waldorf Nave ios app, it plays back on the amp fine via bluetooth. switch back to the amplifi app, the amp isn't showing up

Yep, sometimes it works on the first try, turn on and it syncs right up.  Other times I have to turn off bluetooth, pair, connect, disconnect, reconnect, disconnect, reconnect, and it finally syncs up.  Like you guys said, the audio portion works fine, it's the amp itself that won't connect, so the editor, tuner, and level are all grayed out and it says None underneath Amplifi.

Amp Flash 1.00.5

iPad 2 (retina) with IOS 7.0.4

Now, I was just connected and everything was fine, but I had to go to another app real quick - I exited Amplifi by hitting the Home button, and I lost sync with the amp upon going back into it.

The bluetooth light is still solid on the amp right now, but it says NONE under Amplifi.

Attempt to reconnect: bluetooth light is flashing fast, iPad connects, but the light goes to a slower flash and nothing happens.

When I actually get it to connect, it goes from a fast flash to solid...then I do see quick SYNCING under Amplifi, but then it goes to NONE again.

Closed the app, as in full shutdown (double home button and swipe up), re-open, and now I'm connected....I don't get it.  Bluetooth is not new technology....

Frustrating as hell, really. 

There is definitely still a bluetooth issue associated with the connection between the amp and the app (i'm using the latest firmware). It's a separate issue from bluetooth connectivity to the ipad itself, which seems fine. I often end up in situations where the amp is bluetooth connected to my ipad, but the app says it isn't connected to the amp. Switch over to waldorf nave ios synth and that plays out of the amp fine when this happens. Switch back to the amplify app and it says it isn't connected. Maybe turning the amp off and on, or turning bluetooth off and then on again in setting panel will work, but not always. So far the only reliable way to get a connection between the amp and the app when this happens is to fully power down the ipad. Then when you start it again, the app connects and works. Note that when you normally turn off an ios device it doesn't fully power down.

This is very frustrating, especially when you don't know about the full power down approach to solving it when it occurs.

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same issues.  Starts up fine, lets me have maybe a song's worth of fun and then greys out all of the amp functions, but will merrily continue to stream my music collection.  I have both ipad, and iphone.  Neither can keep a connection with the amp for more than a few minutes.  If this a fault of the unit rather than the app itself, it would be nice if Line 6 could make a comment, then I could just go back to the store for a replacement.

I had a bluetooth connection problem when I first got the amp. It would connect fine and then loose connection randomly but continue to play music. I then upgraded the firmware and that issue has gone away.

I do notice that if you leave the remote app it will lose connection with the amp. When you go back to the remote app it will resync and tell you so in a message box. This sounds like a programmed behavior to me.

I also notice that the music will sometimes skip if the remote app is sending information to the amp while changing tones. A bit annoying but I can deal with that.

So far I'm mostly enjoying the amp and looking forward to taking it to our band practice.

Have all you seen this Knowledge Base page? It addresses the BT connectivity.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifiers/ampl/amplififaq

Q: What should I do If I am experiencing connection issues with the AMPLIFi Remote app when I swtich back and fourth between apps on my iOS device?

A: An important thing to note about the AMPLIFi Remote app functionality, is that in addition to the iOS bluetooth connection between your AMPLIFi and your iOS device, there is a secondary 'sync' connection between the amp and the app. Each time you minimize/close the app, the connection between the AMPLIFi Remote app and the AMPLIFi will need to be re-established even if your iOS device is reporting that the AMPLIFi is connected via 'Bluetooth'. In this case, re-opening the AMPLIFi Remote app, will automatically re-establish the connection within a few seconds. Make sure to look at the main menu of the AMPLIFi Remote app and wait for it to indicate that your amp is 'connected' before moving forward using the app. If it does not automatically re-connect, close the AMPLIFi Remote app by double tapping your iOS home key and than sliding the AMPLIFi Remote app window up and off the screen to fully close the app. Than relaunch the AMPLIFi Remote app and it should re-sync itself with the amp.

Q: What should I do If I am experiencing connection issues with the AMPLIFi Remote app when I swtich back and fourth between apps on my iOS device?.....

There is no switching back and forth between apps involved.  Amplifi is the ONLY app I have running and I keep it open when I am jamming so that I have control (or at least wished I had).  It loses functionality without any external influence.  Yet the music plays on...........

Hi guys,

I went out today and came back with an amplifi 150. it sounds awesome.....but...... the App really doesn't like logging me into Line 6.... 

Ive tried all the things i know, updated phone, restarted everything, slid the app off the screen, deleted the app, reinstalled the App, all that!

The only issue I have is logging into Line 6 on the startup of the app...i just can't do it! I've logged in here on my Mac no problem!

any ideas please?

Ta

i mean that when it asks me to log in, before i can even use the app, i put my line 6 username and password into the required fields, and all i got was an 'unable to log into line6' message!

Anyway, as a workaround Ive had to create a new line 6 account, & a new email account in order to get it working! it does now, and i'm happy to report that it sounds great & i was pleasantly surprised with the range of tones found on the links to some of my music, which I wasn't sure it would, plus easy editing too to create my own sounds, which I am used to having owned an X3 live for some years.

All in all I think this is a pretty good amp, and i look forward to updates to the effects and bits and pieces like the usb on the back being usable!