Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

12 string sound problem..

andymguitar

Now, I know this has been covered many times before, but I'm still not entirely enamoured with some of the sounds on my Variax standard!

I can live with the 6 string acoustics, but the 12 strings just don't really cut it for me.. On a full strum it's ok, but when I pick individual notes it just sounds like a keyboard imitating a guitar to me. The same is true to a lesser degree with the 6 strings. I've turned the E, A and D string down on workbench and adjusted the tuning as the higher strings being slightly out of tune was even worse IMHO.. Soundclip attached, is this similar to what other users hear?

12 string.m4a

On 2/18/2020 at 5:23 PM, psarkissian said:

Start by having the set-up checked, preferably by a Line 6 authorized service center who knows the product and set-up specs. 

Will see if I can, it's a bit of a journey to the Live 6 authorised unfortunately. Will see if I can find anyone nearer to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard several folks play Hotel California using Variax 12-string models and most sound fairly convincing.  Here's a quick youtube search:

https://youtu.be/v5IcKsSGecE

I couldn't get the link in this thread to play in my browser but perhaps it works for modern computers:

Not sure if any amplification was used in your mp4 but seemed fairly unprocessed except for what reminded me of phase effect?  

I did notice a tendency to use mild vibrato and/or bend strings.  Even slightly bending string will upset the 12 string model sound.  

I've been known to play convincing "Tambourine Man" using the Rick 12 string model.   They do exhibit some keyboard'eque character but in context with backing tracks they tend to sound pretty decent.  I've also performed "I've Just Seen A Face" using 12-string acoustic for original solo.  Here again, not great when isolated but used in live mix it works very well.