Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

volume level discrepancies across presets

deparko

Greetings,

I'm having problems with setting the right volume levels for presets. Presets that I download a lot of times have very low volume even if the amp master/chn are cranked up yet ones I create seem to be ok. What am I missing? I have a Helix LT. If I keep the Helix hardware volume at say a "4", some presets are nice and loud, others I can barely hear. I fish through all the blocks of the preset looking adjusting levels but most presets stay fairly muted.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

D

1 hour ago, deparko said:

Greetings,

I'm having problems with setting the right volume levels for presets. Presets that I download a lot of times have very low volume even if the amp master/chn are cranked up yet ones I create seem to be ok. What am I missing? I have a Helix LT. If I keep the Helix hardware volume at say a "4", some presets are nice and loud, others I can barely hear. I fish through all the blocks of the preset looking adjusting levels but most presets stay fairly muted.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

D

There are approximately 11,483 threads bemoaning the fact that volume leveling from patch to patch has to be done. There's nothing you can do except to adjust everything by ear. Some amp models are inherently louder than others, regardless of the where the channel volume parameter is set... it's just the way it is. Significant EQ differences can make one patch seem louder than another as well, even if their outputs levels are identical. If the channel volume doesn't give you what you need for a particular patch, 

the output block will.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

There are approximately 11,483 threads bemoaning the fact that volume leveling from patch to patch has to be done. There's nothing you can do except to adjust everything by ear. Some amp models are inherently louder than others, regardless of the where the channel volume parameter is set... it's just the way it is. Significant EQ differences can make one patch seem louder than another as well, even if their outputs levels are identical. If the channel volume doesn't give you what you need for a particular patch, 

the output block will.

YEP, I have amp channel volumes that range from 4.7 to 8.8.  I keep my output level set to something that will make sure I'm sending out a decent but not too hot signal (Master Volume Output knob dimed setup for consistency) and then I create my presets with that output template.  Once I have them created I listen through and get a temperature of the room where all of my actual channel volumes are for each preset to find if I need to slide that scale/range up or down to help at the back end.  

I'm more tedious and practiced in my own preset creation so once I've done my homework with core tones, i'm essentially done unless I import an effect that makes something louder or quieter, which then I find 'unity' (read: my unity level) and adjust that effects output level to return my presets volume where it was.

Good question and resultantly, as has been pointed out, there are many other topics on this subject you can check out. Using your ears perhaps along with a db meter, db meter app on your smartphone, or a meter in your DAW seem to be the current prevailing methods.  The overall signal level to your monitors can effect perceived volume differences as well. Too low or too hot an overall output level can make the differences between presets with relatively small changes sound exaggerated.  There are many players here who switch the global setting so that the large volume knob only controls their monitor and not the FOH. This is equivalent to turning the volume knob all the way up for FOH and eliminates one possible variable when dialing in presets ultimately presenting a more consistent level to FOH. As already mentioned the upcoming firmware release with meters should help.  Personally to promote unity(gain) I have resorted to having all my presets circle up, hold hands, and chant "We Are The World" :-)