Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Routing individual strings to separate amp models with a Variax & Helix?

Anyone know if you are able to assign different amp models to different strings while using the Helix with a Variax?
As in, I want to lower the 5th & 6th string on the Variax and have those two strings go through a bass amp model, while the remaining 4 strings go through a guitar amp model.

At this time,... no.

Idea Scale would be the place to go to submit ideas for features in product.

Such a feature would have to be done thru the VDI path, and implemented within the Helix,

via the VDI signal path then processed/routed within the Helix, then assigned an output destination.

Not something that exists. Idea Scale would be the place to go to make that happen.

Hmmmm........... here's a thought that I haven't tested but just might work.

As of firmware v2.80 Helix is able to control Variax string level on an individual string basis. I wonder what would happen if you used a dual path Helix preset with the Input block of both paths set to Variax. In each path you could set different string levels. So for your bass amp path set the level for the 4 top strings to zero, meaning only strings 5 and 6 would be processed. Similarly, set the level for strings 5 and 6 to zero in your guitar amp path. Might that do what you want?

To avoid confusion you would probably need to select the same Variax Model for both input paths.

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2020 at 9:07 PM, silverhead said:

Hmmmm........... here's a thought that I haven't tested but just might work.

As of firmware v2.80 Helix is able to control Variax string level on an individual string basis. I wonder what would happen if you used a dual path Helix preset with the Input block of both paths set to Variax. In each path you could set different string levels. So for your bass amp path set the level for the 4 top strings to zero, meaning only strings 5 and 6 would be processed. Similarly, set the level for strings 5 and 6 to zero in your guitar amp path. Might that do what you want?

To avoid confusion you would probably need to select the same Variax Model for both input paths.

I just called today to find out if I could do do exactly what you described above(I couldn’t find any threads about this until now). Except keep all strings at 100% in my upper A guitar path and then either both or just one of the lower 5th and 6th strings in the lower B path through an octave pedal for my “bass” sound. 

I’m currently doing something like this now  with a separate bass pick up in my guitar only picking up the two lower strings and running it through a separate output, through a micro pog, through the B path and out to a separate bass amp. It works great but I’m limited in tuning and tone to the guitar I have(LTD VB400 baritone). And because I basically have to destroy the guitar to get the bass pick up in I don’t won’t to do it to another guitar to have a different tuning. 
Being able to have separate string level(and tuning) control with a variax in each path would be a dream. 

I’m new to these forums and ideascale…any idea if a suggestion was made or if it’s something that’s even possible for line 6 to do? 

thanks

When Helix controls Variax models, tone, volume, string volume, tunings, etc, it is making changes in the Variax itself, not in Helix. Helix is just storing the commands to send to Variax when the patch is selected. So if you had two inputs on two different paths that both use Variax, each of them will be sending commands to the same guitar, so the last one sent would win.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, amsdenj said:

When Helix controls Variax models, tone, volume, string volume, tunings, etc, it is making changes in the Variax itself, not in Helix. Helix is just storing the commands to send to Variax when the patch is selected. So if you had two inputs on two different paths that both use Variax, each of them will be sending commands to the same guitar, so the last one sent would win.

That’s right, of course. Which means my post nearly two years ago is incorrect. Thanks for clarifying. Hope nobody was sent off track in the meantime.