Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mac output through Helix without using paths

saemola

Hello folks,

I want to use the Helix LT live to output my bass through XLRs and my Logic session with stereo synths through the main 1/4" outs.

I know this can be done by creating a parallel path with the input coming from USB 1-2 and the output going to 1/4" while keeping the bass amp on XLR out only.

However, both my DSP use parallel paths for my bass and I don't have a path to spare for the computer output.

Since this is not a resources issue but rather a user interface one, is there a way to tell the Helix to output USB 1-2 to 1/4" only without going through paths and blocks on the Helix interface?

I'll add: is there a way to do a similar thing to send Return 2 to Headphones Out? I'd like to use that as an in-ear preamp.

Global Settings>Ins/Outs>USB In 1/2 Destination. Page 52 of the manual.

If you like to jam along with the iTunes or YouTube apps or your DAW, this setting determines from which outputs your computer or iPad
device's primary stereo audio stream will be heard. USB In 1/2 bypasses all Helix LT processing; USB 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 can be selected
as input blocks for processing DAW tracks or re-amping. Normally, you should choose "Multi," which sends USB In 1/2 directly to the
1/4", XLR, and Digital outputs. See "USB Audio".

Headphones Monitor (same page):

Determines which signal(s) are heard from the PHONES output. Normally you would set this to Multi (1/4"+XLR+Digital+USB 1/2), but
there may be a situation where you only want to hear what's sent from the 1/4" or XLR outs, particularly if they are being fed different
signals (or band members!)

I did go to the Global Settings, but I figured what I was looking for was USB Out rather than In.

Thanks for that!

I guess Headphones Out would share DAC with either 1/4" or XLR, so there is no way to have it completely isolated from the two.

Thanks!

Edit: or maybe I'm not getting your point and you are telling me that what I'm trying to achieve is not possible...? I don't have the Helix on hand now but will give it a shot tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, saemola said:

I did go to the Global Settings, but I figured what I was looking for was USB Out rather than In.

Thanks for that!

I guess Headphones Out would share DAC with either 1/4" or XLR, so there is no way to have it completely isolated from the two.

Thanks!

Edit: or maybe I'm not getting your point and you are telling me that what I'm trying to achieve is not possible...? I don't have the Helix on hand now but will give it a shot tomorrow.

Headphones will monitor 1/4" OR XLR OR EVERYTHING. Maybe I don't get what you're trying to achieve?

Oh no, I did understand the part about headphones and I understand that that is not possible like you say.

But regarding my first question: can I monitor Logic's output through 1/4" only (without having to go through blocks and using up a path) while monitoring my Helix bass path through XLR only? That I'm not sure I understood correctly.