Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Engl Poweramp 1 - Channel Switching

Holger79

Hi all,

I want to use the Helix to switch the channels of my Engl Powerball tube amp. To do so I use a stereo cable and the channel switching in general works fine except of a weird problem.  When I do the channel switching with the Helix it adds gain to the Engl Amp even in the clean channel. When I disconnect the channel switching cable the gain is gone. Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Holger

I have to say that I don´t konw what a TS cable is. I followeda you tube video instructions:  

The channel switching works exactly as in the video. My cable seems to be a TRS cable. Meanwhile i found that my problem only appear when I switch to high gain channel and then back to the other channels. Switching between the clean and the crunch channel wokrs fine but once I switched to in the high gain channel all other channels has a high gain overlay when I´m switching to them.

Do I need a TR cable?

Thank you!!

Thank you for your help!

Unfortunately I have to wait until tomorrow when I´m back in the music room.  Do you have an idea what the problem could be? 

Generelly  the channel switching works which I can see on the  amp on the corresponding LED lights and the sound of course changes. It change the channels just like a simple standard channel switcher.  The only problem is the "overlaying gain channel"

1 minute ago, Holger79 said:

Thank you for your help!

Unfortunately I have to wait until tomorrow when I´m back in the music room.  Do you have an idea what the problem could be? 

Generelly  the channel switching works which I can see on the  amp on the corresponding LED lights and the sound of course changes. It change the channels just like a simple standard channel switcher.  The only problem is the "overlaying gain channel"

No idea. The preset may clarify, if it works!

It works in the same way as my preset. I can switch between the clean and the crunch channel but once I have been in the lead channel I can´t really go back to the clean or crunch channel. The leads on my amp change to the clean or crunch mode but it doesnt really make the switch back. When you change the channels you can also hear a click on the amp which can not longer be heard once I have been in the gain channel an try to switch back to clean or crunch.

Do you use the Powerball 1 as well and if yes does it work? With standard footswitch the channel switching works fine so I thing it has something to do with the cable or it simply doesn´t work properly with the Helix. Will give it a try with another cable, I have to organize one first ...

Thanks for your effort!!

1 hour ago, Holger79 said:

Thank you all!!

It simple seems not to work properly with the originally Engl Powerball :-(  Meanwhile I have checked another cable and it doesn´t work as well. All who got it work use the Powerball 2. 

That's probably because the Engl site doesn't have a link to the PB1 manual. I was able to locate the manual on the internet. This is from that manual:

The different options for controlling the Powerball amp remotely:
1. Two-way footswitch (e.g. ENGL Z-4): Connect it to the amp via a stereo ¼" cord. You will
need one two-way footswitch for switching channels via Jack 36 and another footswitch for
switching Master A/B and Style via Jack 35. Functions: Ch I/II, Gain Lo/Hi, Master A/B
and Style open/focused. With this solution, you can't activate the channels Crunch and
Hi Lead directly, i.e. this requires an intermediate switching operation.

2. MIDI-Switcher (e.g. ENGL Z-11): Connect the unit to the amp via two stereo ¼" cords.
The buttons on the Switcher controls Ch I/II, Gain Lo/Hi, Master A/B and Style. If you
program the diverse switching configurations to different MIDI program locations
(e.g. Hi Lead & Master A & Style "open" to MIDI program number 1), you can activate
the desired configuration directly via a MIDI board (e.g. ENGL Z-12).
This type of control option is extremely versatile, we recommend it highly if you intend
to use the amp in conjunction with a MIDI system (e.g. MIDI effects devices).
3. ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5: Connect it to the "Custom Footswitch Port" port via a
9-pin computer cable. Functions: Direct access to Clean (Ch I & Lo Gain), Crunch (Ch I &
Hi Gain), Lo Lead (Ch II & Lo Gain), Hi Lead (Ch II & Hi Gain) as well as Master A/B and
Style. This is a very convenient yet compact solution.

***************************************************************************************************

So it would appear that you're out of luck. The best you can do is to use Helix to switch Ch I/II, Gain Lo/Hi. You never specified how you were getting into your other channels, so I assume you were using the front panel switches and that can't be duplicated using the simple Helix Channel switching, you need the proprietary Z-5 switch.

My intention was to do it in the same way as described in the video I posted above. I have a PB1 manual here (german language as I´m from Germany) and theoretically it should work in the same way as the PB2. Switching CHI/II, Gain Lo/Hi is exactly what I wanted to do. But once I´ve switched  to low or high Gain it doesn´t switch back properly back to CHI/II (as described above). I thought my amp might have a broken one but with a standard channel switcher the channel switching works fine without issues.

2 minutes ago, Holger79 said:

but with a standard channel switcher the channel switching works fine without issues.

What do you mean by "standard channel switcher"? If it uses a TRS cable, you can use a simple continuity tester to find out what it does, then set the Helix to duplicate that.

I mean a simple footswitch. Sorry! The helix do it in the same way as the the footswitch except that I can´t return to CH1/CH2 properly after I have switched to low or high gain. The corresponding leads on the amp switch back to the proper position but not the channel itself. It´s weird ...  It sounds like that the two channel (Gain low or high and CH1 or Ch2) are on the top of each other. And as I said it only happens when I switch to the Gain channels and then back. If I switch only betwenn CH1 and CH2 no issues.  

2 minutes ago, Holger79 said:

I mean a simple footswitch.

Sorry, still not getting it. Does the footswitch have a single TRS cable and two buttons? Use a continuity tester to see what happens when you short Tip>Sleeve with:

both buttons OFF, Button 1 ON 2 OFF, 1 OFF 2 ON, Both ON.

Repeat using Ring >Sleeve.

Write down the results as you go.

Once you've established what the buttons are doing, you can set the Instant Commands to duplicate those actions.