Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv 69 Stuck In Alternate Tuning Mode (solved!)

Silly me.....

last night I thought I would plug by 69 into the laptop and check for updates.... (lately it seems whatever updates  (not just L6, I mean all windows based music software) I apply seem so screw things up...you update one thing and break 2 others....)

All seemed to go well until I connected the guitar to USB device and tried to connect Workbench HD.  I am not sure what exactly happened, but I know monkey could see the variax USB device, but old work bench 1.75 and new work bench 2.0 could never connect to the guitar.   USB device was lit green in and out.

Then for some strange reason the model selector knob and alternate tuning knob started flashing red.  Now they are stuck like that.  Every time I plug my 1/4 guitar jack in the 69, both selectors start flashing red.  The only way to play the guitar right now is to take the battery out and use it as straight mag pick up guitar.

Before you ask...battery is full, 1/4 jack was plugged in, volume knob was up, and as indicated above, I logged into monkey and updated everything first.

I try holding the model selector know down for 2.5 seconds to cancel the function, but nothing happens.

Hopefully there is something I can do at home and do not have to ship it back.

Silly me.....

last night I thought I would plug by 69 into the laptop and check for updates.... (lately it seems whatever updates  (not just L6, I mean all windows based music software) I apply seem so screw things up...you update one thing and break 2 others....)

All seemed to go well until I connected the guitar to USB device and tried to connect Workbench HD.  I am not sure what exactly happened, but I know monkey could see the variax USB device, but old work bench 1.75 and new work bench 2.0 could never connect to the guitar.   USB device was lit green in and out.

Then for some strange reason the model selector knob and alternate tuning knob started flashing red.  Now they are stuck like that.  Every time I plug my 1/4 guitar jack in the 69, both selectors start flashing red.  The only way to play the guitar right now is to take the battery out and use it as straight mag pick up guitar.

Before you ask...battery is full, 1/4 jack was plugged in, volume knob was up, and as indicated above, I logged into monkey and updated everything first.

I try holding the model selector know down for 2.5 seconds to cancel the function, but nothing happens.

Hopefully there is something I can do at home and do not have to ship it back.

It sounds like you already tried removing the battery and putting it back in, but if not its probably worth a try. Beyond that, I have no idea. Good luck...

What kind of amp are you using? Anything that can connect with VDI?

As is usually the case, right after I post looking for help, whatever was not working starts working.

I honestly have no idea what I did, but I was playing with knobs, jacking in and out, and then I heard a click and the selectors stopped flashing.  Who knows I may have stumbled on a hidden re-boot firmware sequence....no idea.  I do not plan to re-create what happened, I do not need to know all the details and root cause.  I am happy that it is now working.

Just flashed 2.0 and workbench HD is talking to my 69.  Whew .... 

Now it looks like I have to go edit the strat settings....

Thanks for replying.

As is usually the case, right after I post looking for help, whatever was not working starts working.

I honestly have no idea what I did, but I was playing with knobs, jacking in and out, and then I heard a click and the selectors stopped flashing.  Who knows I may have stumbled on a hidden re-boot firmware sequence....no idea.  I do not plan to re-create what happened, I do not need to know all the details and root cause.  I am happy that it is now working.

Thanks for replying.

Yes - the flashing red lights on the model knob and alt tune knob indicate a factory reset in process.   I can't remember exactly how you initiate it, but I seem to think it is something to do with inserting the 1/4 inch jack while pressing the model knob or something.  Anyway - sounds like you have removed the battery - put it back in - and got it working again.  Good luck!

Thanks for replying.

Ghost in the machine...it happens.

• Upvote 1