Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Stomp: Live sound tips

bossen83

I have my first gig with the HX Stomp in a week. Does anyone have great tips for live sound with a Stomp or Helix? I'll be running a mono signal to FOH.

I ran the unit at gigging volume today and noticed that I had to lower treble and presence on a lot of patches (I usually play through Sennheiser 280 pro headphones). 

I generally have low cut at 100 and high cut at 8-9k on all patches.

If you ran it through the PA at gigging volume, make sure you listened from a distance.  PA speakers aren't designed for close up listening and you may end up cutting frequencies that sound harsh but end up making it muffled when listened to at distance.  I normally listen to my patches as gigging volume from about 6 feet or more and often off axis and with my back turned to get a real clear idea of how they'll sound to the audience.

Also make sure you have a consistent volume between patches and snapshots.  Don't expect the sound guy to babysit your levels.

That is the challenge of going direct with presets and modeling. What sounds great at home hardly ever translates the same at the gig.   That lush reverb you carefully tuned sounds dry as a bone at the gig. Your searing solo disappears completely. What happened? With your amp and stompboxes you make a few adjustments and you're good to go. Agree with above -- must audition at real volume and with your band if possible. I would suggest starting with just a few simple patches that are easier to edit at the gig. Once you have refined your basic tone and effects like reverb and delay you can create more complicated patches from those. You will develop an ear for what works.

To keep a constant volume between presets, as suggested above, when using amp modeling direct I play them all into a mixer with a VU meter to equalize them and make small adjustments from there by ear.