Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp on live situation

alaviivaelmeri

I have not personally used my HX Stomp for gigging - it was intended as my backup and portable rig for rehearsals. However, the band has decided to go ampless the last few gigs to try to get better control of our stage volume and reduce our footprint. Just when I just got my Powercab 212 too! Anyway, the other guitar player in the band, and our bass player are both using HX Stomp the last three gigs. Its working great. I'd suggest not worrying too much about a lot of patch switching with HX Stomp. Keep things minimal. I created a patch for him that has three stop switches: distortion, phaser, chorus, delay and reverb are on all the time. This is all he needs for 95% of the songs. And it keeps it simple enough that the HX Stomp doesn't become a distraction. 

Used mine last night onstage subbing on guitar with The Tenors Of Rock show at Planet Hollywood on the Vegas Strip.

Set up an external 2 switches. One switch for preset up and one for down.

Worked great and sounded awesome
EDIT: I use snapshot mode on the HX Stomp by the way. Thus the external switches for Preset Up & Down.

Edited by robbieb61
Wanted to clarify

• 1 year later...

I use my HX stomp at gigs  where I don't feel like using my Carvin V3.  I have it set up so that it literally replaces the amplifier in my signal chain, and I mount it on the left side of my pedalboard.  chain: guitar-sure glxd-front-end effects (talk box, phase, flange, boss dd3 for repeating delay effects, ts9- out to HX stomp input.  HX stomp has four programs: High gain (PV panama)  boosted/lead,  High gain (peavey Panama) rythm, Clean (SLO), Clean boosted (slo).  all four programs are set on the first four program slots, and thus are controlled via midi.   I use a randall RF4 midi switch to switch chnnels on both my v3 and my HX Stomp.  I run a carbon copy in the FX loop for the dirty channels on both carvin and HX stomp, and I use the onboard chorus and reverb for the cleans on the HX stomp to replace the physical chorus and verb that are in the loop of my v3.   

It literally puts a solid facsimile of my Carvin in a 1lb box and moves me from  120lb head/cabinet to a self-contained pedalboard.  And all that I have to change between stomp and v3 is plug the pedalboard into the amp instead of the V3.  Does the stomp sound as good and organic? No. It does not.  It definitely sounds great though. and it weghs about 119lbs less.