Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Re-amping with garageband

Grimbly77

Hi All,

Don't know if this topic already has been discussed but is re-amping possible with Helix Lt and garageband version 10.3.4

If so, can somebody explain how?

I'm already to the point of recording 2 tracks one connected to line 7. The only problem I have is to let the recorded track playing back via the Helix to tweak my sound.

Thx in advance 

T

9 hours ago, Grimbly77 said:

The only problem I have is to let the recorded track playing back via the Helix to tweak my sound.

That's exactly what re-amping is.  Prior to the days of digital, if you re-amped, you would play back the DI track back into the amp and record it again. 

19 hours ago, Grimbly77 said:

I'm already to the point of recording 2 tracks one connected to line 7. The only problem I have is to let the recorded track playing back via the Helix to tweak my sound.

Hi, 

From what you are saying it looks as if you have discovered that GarageBand will record the stereo output (USB 1&2) straight from your HXLT, complete with any, or all amp and FX, you have on that preset.

The audio signal that you recorded from USB channel 7 is the mono dry unaffected signal direct from your guitar. You can play back the dry signal through USB 3/4 or 5 /6 into your HXLT provided you have set it to receive the input on those ports. This makes it possible to play through other presets to create a totally different sound using various amps and effects. The new sound can also be recorded back into GB using the USB1&2.

A further advantage of having the dry guitar signal recorded, is that you can also run that audio through any other guitar processing AU plug-ins that you have available in your DAW. you can make as many different recorded versions as you wish from the "one take".

Here's a video that show how it works - hope this clarifies the re-amping idea for you.

• 5 months later...

Hi There , I have exactly the same problem and I think (not sure) that there is no way with garageband because I don't find any USB output routing 

Input is fine , I also recorded simultaneously a wet stereo track : input Helix 1_2   and  a second Dry track through USB input 7 Helix 

I did changed the input on the by setting it on 3/4 then 5/6 then 7/8 on the helix and on my new empty track but it does not record anything

I don't find any output routing on the recorded DI track 

How do I route this recorded track if there no information on output routing?

7 hours ago, claude5150 said:

I was afraid of this answer but expecting it 

Hi Claude,

If you are stuck with GarageBand and you have managed to record a DI track along with the processed signal, you can re-amp using the many available amp and fx options within GBand. Simply set up a blank GB amp track and drag your DI audio onto it. Ok, it’s not a Helix, but it works - plus if you had Helix Native that would work as an AU plugin making all the Helix sounds available to you.

It’s a work around solution, until you buy a copy of GBand’s big brother, Logic Pro X - which re-amps perfectly and also runs Native.

• 2 years later...

Same issue over here. I’ve been brainstorming a hack solution. Since there’s no output routing from GarageBand, could I mute all other recorded tracks, with the exception of the DI and the reamped track, run a 1/4” cable from my headphone out of my interface to the helix input? Would this cause any latency or audio fidelity issues? Anyone every try such a workaround?

I’ll try this soon and report back my findings.

thanks!