Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Front of amp and fx loop

michaelhynes

Hi,  I’m new to the helix so I’m not sure if I’m posting in the right place or what the story is here but I’m just looking for advice as I’ve a few questions. 
so I bought a helix lt to replace my pedal board and to use the amp models too for certain fly in shows or where ever it will make things easier. I’m wondering how I can set it up so that overdrives etc go into front of the amp (real amp) and delays etc go into the fx loop. 

I also wanna know how to do that too with the digital amps in the helix itself too. 
Thanks

Simple 4 cable method (4cm)

Guitar>Helix Input>Effects>FX Loop 1 Block>Helix Send 1>Amp Input>Amp FX Loop Send>Helix Return 1>Effects>Helix Left/Mono Out>Amp FX Loop Return

With Helix preamp OR REAL Amp's preamp

4cm as above.

Put a Helix Preamp (or amp, NO CAB) before the FX Loop Block and AFTER any distortions or whatever you want in front of the amp. 

Assign the Helix Amp Block and the FX Loop Block to the same Footswitch. Save the preset with one ON and one OFF.

Pressing the assigned footswitch will toggle between the Helix amp and the real amp.

The effects placed AFTER the FX Loop Block will be in the "FX Loop" of whichever amp is activated.

The attached preset demonstrates the method.

NOTE: uses the 10 Stomp Switch configuration:

Global Settings>Footswitches>Stomp Mode Switches = 10 Switches 

It also demonstrates how to create a clean boost for leads using the Output Block Level.

Also Note that I'm using an Amp+Cab vs either a preamp or amp without cab. It just happens to be what I was trying when I created the preset. You can switch it for the other types to see which happens to sound best on your system.

Fatality.hlx

Here is my setup using two Marshall Silver Jubilee's with the 7CM.  Path 1 is setup for FX Loop 1 and Path 2 is setup for FX Loop 2.  If you want to run your effects in stereo, make your Path 1 output PAN LEFT and your Path 2 output PAN RIGHT.  This setup works great for me.  Just remember that any effects before the FX Loops will be processed in mono regardless if you choose stereo effects or not.  No sense wasting the DSP processing power for non-time based effects.  I also assign a stomp button for each effect in both paths.  In other words, If I select my Delay, it will enable/disable that effect in both paths simultaneously.  This should work the same on both the Helix and the HX Effects.  Hope this helps you.

4 Cable Method (4CM)

Cable #1 Guitar to Helix/HX Effects Guitar In

Cable #2 Helix/HX Effects FX Send Loop 1 to Amp #1 Main Input

Cable #3 Amp #1 FX Send Loop to Helix/HX Effects FX Return Loop 1

Cable #4 Helix/HX Effects 1/4" Left (mono) Out to Amp #1 FX Return Loop

7 Cable Method (7CM)

Cable #5 Helix/HX Effects FX Send Loop 2 to Amp #2 Main Input

Cable #6 Amp #2 FX Send Loop to Helix/HX Effects FX Return Loop 2

On 2/24/2020 at 4:46 AM, rd2rk said:

Simple 4 cable method (4cm)

Guitar>Helix Input>Effects>FX Loop 1 Block>Helix Send 1>Amp Input>Amp FX Loop Send>Helix Return 1>Effects>Helix Left/Mono Out>Amp FX Loop Return

With Helix preamp OR REAL Amp's preamp

4cm as above.

Put a Helix Preamp (or amp, NO CAB) before the FX Loop Block and AFTER any distortions or whatever you want in front of the amp. 

Assign the Helix Amp Block and the FX Loop Block to the same Footswitch. Save the preset with one ON and one OFF.

Pressing the assigned footswitch will toggle between the Helix amp and the real amp.

The effects placed AFTER the FX Loop Block will be in the "FX Loop" of whichever amp is activated.

The attached preset demonstrates the method.

NOTE: uses the 10 Stomp Switch configuration:

Global Settings>Footswitches>Stomp Mode Switches = 10 Switches 

It also demonstrates how to create a clean boost for leads using the Output Block Level.

Also Note that I'm using an Amp+Cab vs either a preamp or amp without cab. It just happens to be what I was trying when I created the preset. You can switch it for the other types to see which happens to sound best on your system.

Fatality.hlx 20.41 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you. I havnt had a chance to try it out yet but appreciate your help.