Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Important safety warning about G10 System batteries

Iridium

Yes, this is true. Here's what Frank Ritchotte from Line 6 said about it:

Hey guys, Yes, In early December, following a handful of customer reports of a battery overheating issue with our Relay G10 product, we temporarily stopped the sale of Relay G10, G10S, and G10T systems and Line 6 Relay G10T USB Charging Cables. We have recently completed a thorough investigation into the matter and are actively working with the relevant regulators to determine appropriate next steps. Once those determinations are made, we will communicate them to all stakeholders, dealers and customers.

In the meantime, out of an abundance of caution we have communicated with all retailers and distributors to ensure the sales of these products are temporarily halted. For perspective we have had 4 reports out of 144,000 units in the field. It’s a tiny number/% but we take all quality issues very seriously.

Here's the notice in English.

For the record, personally I have the original G10 system as well as two G10S systems. Perhaps I shouldn't say this, but I don't really plan to stop using them. I will probably be a bit more careful about leaving them unattended while charging until there's a new firmware update, though.
image.thumb.png.967879ebc1d8d5b24a56dfa9abb75171.png

• Thanks 2

I have to say that I think it's pretty irresponsible that Line 6 issued this recommendation in such an obscure location, which very few of us had an opportunity to see, when our gear registrations provide contact information that would permit them to get the information into our hands almost immediately. They're sure quick to notify us when there's something new to buy...

Suppose I hadn't checked into the forum today and seen this, and had a house-fire caused by an overheating G10 battery. Line 6's cavalier attitude towards direct notification would certainly come under scrutiny should it become known that they refused to immediately contact current owners of the product. We should come first! Put out the notices to the community and the trade magazine AFTER you notify customers at potential peril.

Sadly, I for the same reason as cbrillow, just decided to go with a BOSS system instead... they seem to be back on the shelves, as they were also pulled off for a while... I did clearly like the G10S better, but this is a little disheartening, that Line 6 / Yamaha does not take a more pro-active approach, if they know what the potential scenario is that causes the battery issue...

14 hours ago, cbrillow said:

I have to say that I think it's pretty irresponsible that Line 6 issued this recommendation in such an obscure location, which very few of us had an opportunity to see, when our gear registrations provide contact information that would permit them to get the information into our hands almost immediately. They're sure quick to notify us when there's something new to buy...

Suppose I hadn't checked into the forum today and seen this, and had a house-fire caused by an overheating G10 battery. Line 6's cavalier attitude towards direct notification would certainly come under scrutiny should it become known that they refused to immediately contact current owners of the product. We should come first! Put out the notices to the community and the trade magazine AFTER you notify customers at potential peril.

On Facebook, Frank said one reason they haven't announced it more widely is that they are waiting for reports from an independent testing lab. I believe the notice listed above only went out to dealers in the EU, so it very well may be an effort to meet some EU-specific regulations. There are no reports of actual explosions or fires - just overheating. So they're just trying to get to the bottom of it.

• 3 weeks later...

US CPSC also announced. https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2020/yamaha-recalls-digital-wireless-equipment-for-electric-guitars-due-to-fire-and-injury

EU RAPEX not yet untill week11 report. https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumers_safety/safety_products/rapex/alerts/repository/content/pages/rapex/index_en.htm

In Japan, YAMAHA has not announced safety alart or re-call. https://line6.jp/

Only software up-date announce. (not safety information)

I think that over heating of batteries comes from poor charging controller.

But I can't understand why YAMAMA refund "USB charging cable" also?

When charging via "USB charging cable", G10T have to controll chargig by G10T itself.

To charge G10T safety, G10T may need some controll by G10/G10S.

Is it mean charging G10T stand alone via "USB charging cable" is not safe?

I would like to thank Line 6 Amazon for sending me an email alerting me to this critical and potential deadly issue.  

Seriously, how hard can it be to get prompt emails from Line 6 about something so important?  Announcements on TGP or Facebook or any forum aren't (what I would consider) proper procedure.   To quote another user....

On 2/25/2020 at 6:09 PM, cbrillow said:

I couldn't agree more.  There are not enough hours in the day to cruise every single forum or social media group, for every gadget I own, just to make sure there aren't any recalls or updates.  Subscribing to firmware update threads isn't foolproof either .....cough cough Helix 1.80 update....cough cough.

I know at this point, I'm just venting.  We all know Line 6 employees rarely frequent their own forum.  And if, by chance, someone from Line 6 is actually reading this post....get your sh!t together!  We registered our product(s).  You have our email addresses.  Use it for notifying your customers of critical updates/recalls and not just for plugging your products.

If you've read this far, thank you for enduring my rant.  I feel much better now. :-)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lungho said:

I would like to thank Line 6 Amazon for sending me an email alerting me to this critical and potential deadly issue.  

Seriously, how hard can it be to get prompt emails from Line 6 about something so important?  Announcements on TGP or Facebook or any forum aren't (what I would consider) proper procedure.   To quote another user....

If your unit was registered with Line 6, you should have gotten an email. I've received several about it. Actually, I think they may have sent it out to the whole mailing list. Also, Line 6 blasted this all over their social media sites as soon as the recall notice went live (actually a little before).

Realize that the official recall didn't start until this past week. The notice that went out to retailers was not a recall notice. It was a stop sale notice while Line 6 was having an independent lab do an investigation. Basically, I think they were verifying reports. Like or not, there are people in the world who do make false reports on stuff like this for potential financial gain, so the responsible thing is to take the reports seriously, but to make sure they are justified and then take the proper action.

• Like 1

Must be a gremlin in whatever software they are using to mass mail everyone.  There's nothing Line 6 related in my junk/spam folder.  My email preferences are set to receive emails about Line 6 Newsletter, New Products, and Product Updates.   Partner Offers and Marketplace updates are unchecked.  If I do get a product update email, it is typically months after the firmware is released.  

I realize I'm in the minority and social media is what you younger cats like to do, but I absolutely loath social media and will never have anything to do with it.  My first piece of Line 6 gear was registered in 2009, roughly 3 years after FB went public.  Did Line 6 even do social media back then?   My point, the email system should be more dependable than this. 

I got to go, those blasted kids on my lawn again.

• Like 1

We're sorry it's taking so long to get the email. Because there are literally millions that go out, we have to do it slower than we want so as not to trigger SPAM protections with providers. www.Line6.com/g10recall supplies all pertinent info and update instructions, with tutorial videos within the instruction links.

I opened a support ticket.

After the update the battery actually runs out after 3 hours, already tested 3 days of playing.

Before the update the battery works for 6+ hours in the last year without any issue.

If this is the "normal" effect of the new firmware / overheat fix, this is NOT acceptable at all. There isn't also any advice on this or specification on the firmware release notes, Line6 just say that fix the overheat, but not HOW actually this is done.

If Line6 has sold defected units for 4 years, needs to refund the customers or send a new replacement units, not just cut in half the performance of the product.

Anyway, I'll waiting for a support ticket reply in order to evaluate the situation.

I was a very happy G10 (loved it so much) customer until this new firmware.

• Upvote 4

On 3/17/2020 at 5:01 AM, xWildchildx said:

If this is the "normal" effect of the new firmware / overheat fix, this is NOT acceptable at all. There isn't also any advice on this or specification on the firmware release notes, Line6 just say that fix the overheat, but not HOW actually this is done.

If Line6 has sold defected units for 4 years, needs to refund the customers or send a new replacement units, not just cut in half the performance of the product.

Anyway, I'll waiting for a support ticket reply in order to evaluate the situation.

Agreed! This is similar to Apple degrading the performance of some older iPhones, supposedly as a means of protecting users from data loss. They got caught doing that and had to offer reasonably-priced battery replacements.

My experience with Line 6 has been they are not very forthcoming with information about repairs that they make. After sending an Amplifi 150 across the country at an expense of over $100, it was repaired and sent back to me without explanation. I had to ask after-the-fact, and the information I received was very sketchy.

Please keep us in the loop with Line 6's response to your inquiry. Your experience is making me hesitate to load the new firmware...

• Upvote 3

G10 specification on the web is already changed to "6 hours of playing time on a single charge".

("Up to 8 hours of playing time per charge" in the attached manual )

It means 20% or more operating time reduction.

Some players may see this spec. change as problem.

But, personally I don't mind so much as amateur player.

It depend on one's exception for G10.

YAMAHA may provide some remedy for this gap, I think.

As a reference estimation, life time of G10 may be extended.

Generally, battery capacity decrease the more we use it.

Firmware update must limit battery's full charge level lower than previous.

Such change bring play time decrease, off course.

But It also introduce slower degradation rate, fortunately.

It may be good news for light user like me. (But it will be not good for all user)

Anyway, YAMAHA would better think about supplying multiple choice according to user's situation.

• Upvote 2

On 3/17/2020 at 2:01 AM, xWildchildx said:

After the update the battery actually runs out after 3 hours, already tested 3 days of playing.

Before the update the battery works for 6+ hours in the last year without any issue.

I am seeing the same thing here. I successfully updated my G10S and G10T firmware, but after the update I find that the battery bar drops very quickly.  Today I plugged in on a full charge and played continuously for about 2 hours, and battery charge has dropped from 3 bars to 1 bar even before I reached 2 hours.

• Upvote 2