Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Control Eventide H9 via Midi preset by preset

Paul2916

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but how do you set up Helix to control an Eventide H9 via midi? I am asking the same question on the Eventide forum too as I'm not certain which of the two devices is the one that needs to have its settings changed. My objective is to call up a preset on Helix which will then tell the H9 to switch to a certain effect.

Currently (and with no H9 integrated or attached in any way), when I recall a preset on the Helix it automatically changes the amp channel on my Marshall JVM via Midi cable. The Marshall and the Helix were easy to pair as the Marshall detected the incoming midi signal and, by using buttons on the amp, I set the amp to 'learn/store' which channel to switch to preset by preset. I didn't really have to do anything to the Helix as I recall. So, at least I know that the Helix is sending out midi change messages...but when I attach the H9 to the same midi cable that 'talks' so successfully to the Marshall, the H9 is unresponsive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you're using the H9 and the JVM, one of them needs to have it's MIDI THRU connector connected to the MIDI IN of the other. You'll probably want to set the chain as Helix>H9>JVM.

It sounds like you learned your JVM to respond to the default Helix PC#s. Here's what I would do. Set Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo>MIDI PC Send = MIDI (what it's probably on now), Set the H9 to respond on MIDI Channel 2 (if Helix Base Channel is 1). Then in each Helix Preset go to Command Center and set IC1 to send the desired H9 PC# on MIDI Channel 2.

If you're using Snapshots and want different H9 presets on different Snapshots you'll need to set them up in Command Center same way, just assign IC1 to different PC#s in different Snapshots.