Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

how to reset the starting point of the “moving” effects?

unperfectcircle

Hi guys,

is it possible to set the HX Effects in a way so that the effects types that include “movement” (meaning sweeps, ramp up/down etc.) - for example the Throbber filter - begin from the starting position every time the effect is engaged or on snapshot/preset change?

In my case I was looking to create a lo-pass sweep and I was able to achieve this result by using the Throbber filter, pretty much the way I needed (I’d prefer the option to control the starting and ending frequencies, but still).

The problem is that the sweep is always “moving” while I need it to start over from the beginning when I engage the snapshot.

In another thread a user (btw thanks duncann) wrote that this is possible to reset the LFOs by sending a CC64 command to the HX Effects or by touching the tap tempo footswitch once, but I need to do this automatically on snapshot change, without having to send a CC from another device or phisically touching the tap tempo.

Is that possible? 

Thanks a lot

Check out the Global Settings -> Preferences -> Snapshot Edits parameter. Here's a snip from the manual about it:

Determines whether or not any edits made to a snapshot (block on/o , parameter control, Command Center, tempo) are remembered when returning to that snapshot. When set to "Recall," any snapshot edits are recalled when jumping from snapshot to snapshot, and appear as you last left them. When set to "Discard," any snapshot edits are discarded when jumping from snapshot to snapshot, and appear as the preset was last saved. If you want to save changes made to a snapshot while Snapshot Edits is set to "Discard,” press SAVE twice before selecting another. The camera icon on the home screen shows you the Snapshot Edits setting at a glance—When set to "Recall," the camera is gray; when set to "Discard," the camera is red. At any time, hold BYPASS and press SAVE to toggle this setting.  

Also check the Global Settings -> EXP Pedals -> Pedal Position parameter

Determines whether the Helix expression pedal positions are recalled per snapshot, per preset, or applied globally. If you want a Volume Pedal or Wah to maintain its position when switching presets, set this to "Global." 

On 2/26/2020 at 12:21 PM, silverhead said:

Check out the Global Settings -> Preferences -> Snapshot Edits parameter. Here's a snip from the manual about it:

Determines whether or not any edits made to a snapshot (block on/o , parameter control, Command Center, tempo) are remembered when returning to that snapshot. When set to "Recall," any snapshot edits are recalled when jumping from snapshot to snapshot, and appear as you last left them. When set to "Discard," any snapshot edits are discarded when jumping from snapshot to snapshot, and appear as the preset was last saved. If you want to save changes made to a snapshot while Snapshot Edits is set to "Discard,” press SAVE twice before selecting another. The camera icon on the home screen shows you the Snapshot Edits setting at a glance—When set to "Recall," the camera is gray; when set to "Discard," the camera is red. At any time, hold BYPASS and press SAVE to toggle this setting.  

Also check the Global Settings -> EXP Pedals -> Pedal Position parameter

Determines whether the Helix expression pedal positions are recalled per snapshot, per preset, or applied globally. If you want a Volume Pedal or Wah to maintain its position when switching presets, set this to "Global." 

I’m not completely sure this would affect the beginning of the sweep.

Is there a way to try this in Native?

You mean restart the LFO?

I've got a filter pro rack, and to restart the LFO you pressed the tap tempo button once (or the midi cc connected).

Not tried it on the helix, but this might be what you're after?

12 hours ago, 52dmk said:

You mean restart the LFO?

I've got a filter pro rack, and to restart the LFO you pressed the tap tempo button once (or the midi cc connected).

Not tried it on the helix, but this might be what you're after?

yes, exactly.

I need the LFO to start from the beginning of the sweep as soon as I activate the relative snapshot.

I tried with Native demo (I don’t own a HX Effects yet, I’m gathering this information to see if I can pull the trigger or not considering my needs), but I can’t find a way to achieve this easily.

Touching the tap tempo button or sending a CC from another machine are not viable options in my case.

Thanks a lot

1 hour ago, unperfectcircle said:

yes, exactly.

I need the LFO to start from the beginning of the sweep as soon as I activate the relative snapshot.

I tried with Native demo (I don’t own a HX Effects yet, I’m gathering this information to see if I can pull the trigger or not considering my needs), but I can’t find a way to achieve this easily.

Touching the tap tempo button or sending a CC from another machine are not viable options in my case.

Thanks a lot

I tried it last night; doesn't look like this has been implemented in Helix.

Might be a good one to suggest on ideascale?

• 10 months later...
On 3/3/2020 at 9:13 AM, unperfectcircle said:

yes, exactly.

Thanks a lot

Hello i try to use some rythmic effects and i'm agree with you. The helix have some beautifull preset but some are unuseless because of that.

We need :

- the LFO to start from the beginning of the sweep as soon as I activate the relative snapshot

- the LFO to start from the beginning of the sweep as soon as we hit the tap tempo switch (it have to work with CC 64)

- The same with a midi clock send on the helix

Thanks

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 1:35 AM, flop54 said:

Hello i try to use some rythmic effects and i'm agree with you. The helix have some beautifull preset but some are unuseless because of that.

We need :

- the LFO to start from the beginning of the sweep as soon as I activate the relative snapshot

- the LFO to start from the beginning of the sweep as soon as we hit the tap tempo switch (it have to work with CC 64)

- The same with a midi clock send on the helix

Thanks

I have spent so much time trying to achieve your goal using the Throbber but in the context to try to get that sweep in the middle of Uprising by Muse that Chris Wolstenholme uses the filter factory for. It's really disappointing that the setting can't be set to start at the low end of the sweep when the effect is engaged. I hope they find a way to implement that. 

5 hours ago, LoganJames13 said:

I have spent so much time trying to achieve your goal using the Throbber but in the context to try to get that sweep in the middle of Uprising by Muse that Chris Wolstenholme uses the filter factory for. It's really disappointing that the setting can't be set to start at the low end of the sweep when the effect is engaged. I hope they find a way to implement that. 

No, this cannot be done.  I also wanted to have a consistent predictable flanger sweep going "woooooosh".  not "shwoooooo".  The only thing you can do is to assign something to EXP pedal and manually engage it with the pedal.