Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hank Marvin sound

GATEBAR

Hmmmm... same request, two usernames? I'm getting confused :) 

4 hours ago, clivea said:

The link is a good example of the HM modern sound that I am after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSzDQ1rR4fc

IMO... that's a beautiful tone. This is what I would do....

• Strat Bridge Pickup (w/fresh strings.... you can hear that clearly at the end of the clip)
  • Fender Twin Model (double normal)
    • Bring the drive back to about 3
    • Highs around 3
    • Lows around 5 or 6
    • set the mids around 6 or 7
  • Insert the TILT EQ and set the TILT to DARK 60 (this simulates moving the mic closer to the edge of the speaker)
  • (Optional)... Simple delay with a 400ms delay time, 2-3 repeats, keep the mix low, around 15%.
  • For Reverb, just insert the '63 Spring and leave it as is.
  • LA Studio Comp at the end of the chain... just inserting it will bring out the desired flavor, but I would also roll the gain back to about 5. 

The majority of the tone is how he picks, and his subtle use of the tremolo bar on the guitar! He's a master! 

Attached is a quick preset based on the settings I mention above. Keep in mind this was made in Native, with MY STRAT which is a '62 re-issue. You may have to adjust for your gear a little! 

EDIT TO ADD: Although I used a Fender Twin model for the amp, I am pretty sure Hank plays VOX amps... I'm just more comfortable dialing in the Fenders. 

Hank Marvin.hlx

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

Attached is a quick preset based on the settings I mention above. Keep in mind this was made in Native, with MY STRAT which is a '62 re-issue. You may have to adjust for your gear a little! 

More out of curiosity than anything else, I decided to see what you came up with.  The patch sounds pretty darn good with both my Clapton Strat and '54 reissue.  This patch should provide a very good starting place for the OP.

• Thanks 1

Hank also used a multi-head tape echo with everything.  Different delays for every song.  You really need to nail down the times of each delay.  On Apache there are two - one at around 450ms, followed by another at 150ms that also repeats the first.  Most are set at a level that you don't really notice them, but you really do notice when they are not there!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input and help.

I'm away for a couple of nights. I'll look at your kind suggestions when I get back home and let you know how I get on.

I should have mentioned that I want to connect my Quadraverb 2 up before the Helix, mainy because it has all the authentic  Shadows and Hank Marvin's 'Echoes From The Past' reverb and delay programmes on it, which are accurate. In fact, Hank uses this, as he has for many years. I would like to know how I can get the Helix Rack to accept it.

Codamedia .... thanks for the attachment - could you please let me know how to get the patch into the Helix - thanks.

I think it is fair to point out that I am a 75 year old pensioner, so I'm not very good with computers etc. This is why I rely on kind guys like yourselves to kindly advise me.

Thanks again for your help

Clive

PS - Codamedia, I don't know the answer to that my friend

3 hours ago, clivea said:

thanks for the attachment - could you please let me know how to get the patch into the Helix - thanks.

With your Helix connected to a computer, you need to import it through HX Edit. If that sounds foreign to you... then your Helix is likely due for an update as well... and my preset won't load unless you are on 2.82. You may have to enter in the values manually... they are pretty much as I laid them out. 

Hi Codamedia,

Thanks for the patch - you've done a great job! I appreciate it.

Now I need to try my Quadraverb before the Helix, by the 4 cable method. Would you know how I can set the effects loop to recognise the Quadraverb?

Thanks again.

Clive

• 1 year later...