Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help automating Snapshots with Logic Pro X

holliskef

Before I get flamed, yes, I have read, viewed, and digested all that has been written about this, but it all reads like flight instructions for the Enterprise.. 

All I want to do is change Snapshots via automation in Logic without the need for external gear, which the new instructions

Seem to suggest I need.. 

What I am hoping is that someone can tell me if what I want to do is possible without extra gear and if so:

How do I get Logic and Native talking within midi or otherwise

and 

How do I put it all together? 

Again, all I want to do is be walked through how to automate snapshot changes in Helix Native via Logic X.

thank you in advance.. 

Hollie

I can't walk you through step by step because I'm away from my studio right now. But if you know how to create automation lanes for plug-ins in Logic, you should be able to do what you want without any extra gear. The steps are basically 1) set up your Snapshots in Helix Native, 2) in the Logic track that contains Helix Native, create an automation lane for Helix Native: Snapshot Index. Click in the automation timeline to create the Snapshot number at the bar/measure where you want the Snapshot to take effect.

I had a screen shot on my computer from another post, as well as a cut/paste from the Native manual that I've attached that may help. Otherwise, I will be in my studio later today so can post something more thorough if you need it.

1863984900_ScreenShot2018-10-24at9_51_00PM.png.245f38edfe6d8092f8515dd6bfba4d2d.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 10.04.35 AM.png

Sound dog, you are the person I was hoping would answer.. 

I am not in front of my computer either, but from what you wrote I was on the right track, but where it went wrong was finding the Snapshot index..

I think I found it mentioned in smart controls and did what was asked but always in the automation pull down window I only had Numbered knobs, and yes I do scroll to the bottom just in case you were about to ask. ; )

I look forward to hearing back and thank you so much for answering.

Hollie

Hollie --

OK, at my computer. You don't really need Smart Controls. Just use an Automation lane .... its as easy as automating Volume in a track.

1) in Logic, make sure you've selected Show Automation (from the main menu, its at Mix>Show Automation).

2) in the audio channel where you've got your Helix plug-in, use the Automation pull-down menu to select Helix Native, then you should see a list of available automations (Knob 1 - 16, etc .... and Snapshot Index .... etc). Select Snapshot Index.

3) You should then have an automation lane for Snapshot Index, with a line at the bottom for #1. You can click on the line to select other Snapshot numbers, at the time you want them to be in effect.

That's it, really. I'm assuming you're using the latest version of Helix Native. I'm using 1.82 in this example, but I think any 1.8X works just fine.

Hopefully you'll be in Snapshot Automation Bliss soon.

Below are some more screen shots I took when writing this up that might help....

512339563_ScreenShot2020-02-27at8_15_05PM.thumb.png.bd0b79d981b77ed0906940b52ed3972b.png251363635_ScreenShot2020-02-27at8_14_57PM.png.558138fce7aaa5d19dbfa0a486d6c0db.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 8.16.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 8.16.52 PM.png

Sound Dog,

I am going to be at my computer in an hour. I will give this a go..

i am am using the latest version of Helix, but I’m curious what Logic version are you using, as there is a snowflake next to the record button. I don’t have that.. Anyway, I will report back and let you know how I get on..

thank you so much...

Hollie

Sound Dog,

I have done all that you have said, and your instructions would have been just as easy as all other automation commands on Logic and the Helix, but for one thing,, The Snapshot Index does not show up in the pull down as shown in my screen shot... I am using the latest Helix native and Logic 10.4.1... Any thoughts? I was really looking forward to that Snapshot changing bliss that you spoke about...

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 11.55.13 AM.png

Sound Dog, I did a search and found that you have addressed my issue before.. So I did the work around and got it to work, So I will be in snap shop change bliss shortly. 

Just wondering if its a Line 6 or Logic Blip.. As much as I hate updating Apple OS because it’s a crap shoot whether your Logic or other plug ins work after, I am doing so now, just in case it’s an Apple issue.. 

thanks for for your help

Hollie

Sound Dog, I did a search and found that you have addressed my issue before.. So I did the work around and got it to work, So I will be in snap shop change bliss shortly. 

Just wondering if its a Line 6 or Logic Blip.. As much as I hate updating Apple OS because it’s a crap shoot whether your Logic or other plug ins work after, I am doing so now, just in case it’s an Apple issue.. 

thanks for for your help

Hollie

To add, I have updated my Mac OS and thus far it does not appear to be digital Ebola. I have also updated Logic X, as well and upon opening it and starting a new project and following the Automation procedure snapshot index appears without the need for the work around.. So, i have a feeling that it was a Mac issue rather than a Helix one.

Glad to help. FYI, I'm running the latest version of Logic, but no worries about that snowflake .... there are a bunch of optional things you can display on the track header, and the snowflake (Freeze track) is one of them ...... I just happened to have it turned on in the display. That's the thing about Logic .... its DEEEEP. I've used it for many years, but am still learning.

• 6 months later...
On 2/27/2020 at 11:14 AM, soundog said:

I can't walk you through step by step because I'm away from my studio right now. But if you know how to create automation lanes for plug-ins in Logic, you should be able to do what you want without any extra gear. The steps are basically 1) set up your Snapshots in Helix Native, 2) in the Logic track that contains Helix Native, create an automation lane for Helix Native: Snapshot Index. Click in the automation timeline to create the Snapshot number at the bar/measure where you want the Snapshot to take effect.

I had a screen shot on my computer from another post, as well as a cut/paste from the Native manual that I've attached that may help. Otherwise, I will be in my studio later today so can post something more thorough if you need it.

1863984900_ScreenShot2018-10-24at9_51_00PM.png.245f38edfe6d8092f8515dd6bfba4d2d.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 10.04.35 AM.png

This was a huge help, thank you kindly. And wow, what a powerful feature. Like having your own personal guitar tech backstage switching patches for you. Awesome.

• Upvote 1