Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

string levels in patch not honored on custom variax model

Indianrock2020

Has anyone noticed that on Helix, on a custom variax model, where magnetics are set to zero, that the custom string levels (volume) in a Helix snapshot don't work. It works on a factory variax model, but not one modified in Workbench even though the "magnetics" level at the bottom is set to zero.

There are some other anomalies with the Variax and the Helix that I've never really seen mentioned. I find when I go from one patch to another where the one patch has the tone knob at, let's say 5 and the other is 10, it stays on the last tone knob setting. This seemed to be happening with the volume knob as well. It's been awhile since I revisited this issue (just gave up) so I may not be describing this well. I'm hoping the next patch will correct some of that. If it doesn't, I'm planning on deep diving with the Variax just to see what works and how it works. I'm not familiar with your issue. Do you have a patch where you have both the modeled and magnetic pickups, with snapshots that you want to have the magnetics off and you do that by turning down the magnetic volume? I'm not sure how well I'm phrasing this.

From alliance 6 expert over on the variax forum.....

"

Force mode,... the guitar defers to whatever preset is in the floor effects product.

Don't force,... the floor effects product defers to whatever the guitar is set for and giving to the floor product.

Check the edit pages in the Helix for this."

45 minutes ago, Indianrock2020 said:

Don't force,... the floor effects product defers to whatever the guitar is set for and giving to the floor product.

I find this a little ambiguous. I'm not at my Helix to test but I see two interpretations of 'whatever the guitar is set for':

1) the physical guitar setting in terms of model knob and pickup selector switch;

2) the currently active model.

Note that these may be different. The currently active model may have been set by a previous preset that used the force mode to specify a model, different from the current physical guitar settings. I suspect the implementation uses option #2 because using option #1 would require Helix to essentially 'force' the Variax to perform a model change - from the currently active model to the model specified by its physical knob/switch settings. It seems counterintuitive to implement a 'don't force' command by forcing a change.