Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PC+ First impression and review after 3 weeks.

thebluesman666

Hey Folks, I’m starting a new post about the Line 6 PowerCab. I find it pretty difficult to get my hands on good an accurate information’s about the PC product.

There a lot of content on YouTube, but you never can experience the real deal that Line 6 claims « the Amp in the Room feel ». Line 6 designed the PC with this in mind.

My personal journey with digital modellers:

So after using Line 6 products for the last year or so (HX Stomp then grabbed a Floor unit). ¸

I’ve been using and active monitor to run my Guitar and Bass tones.

The EV ELX112P has been doing a very good job so far. I’ve decided to pick this exact model because it’s a plywood cabinet and not plastic.

I find it very important to have a wood material in order to get better responses from the cabinet.

PC Flat mode and Speaker mode:

Right off the bat the first time I plugged in the PC+ I’ve used the Flat mode to run IR or cab block from the HX. I’ve done a comparison on the Flat mode speaker voicing. (FRFR, LF FLAT, LF RAW).

LF RAW mode really stands out. This mode turns off the 1’’ tweeter speaker.

Then I got to try out the Speaker mode this is the mode that Line 6 claim to achieve « amp in the room ». With the PC+ you have 12 speaker emulations to choose from.

My impression is that they sound fantastic! They really stand out giving you more… amp in the room feel. The Speaker mode really sounds different from the Flat mode, which you would be using IR with.  They seem to give you a convincing tone without a lot of tweaking required. 

PC overall power and volume levels:

First off from all the reviews and post I’ve read on the forum I was afraid the PC wasn’t going to be loud enough with a full band.

I’ve made my custom patch in order to use to PC+ with my Blues band.

I did use Logic Pro X to monitor my level coming out of the HX Floor, I aim at -10dB is level. I did make sure the indicator light of the PC was turning yellow when I really dig into the guitar strings.

To sum it up… Yes, the PC is loud enough to play with a full band and be heard.

PC is a 1x12 Cab not a 2x12 or 4x12 Cab:  

I think it’s important to talk about the fact that the PC is a 1x12 speaker cabinet. Don’t be fooled, if you think that by using a 4x12 IR your PC+ will transform itself in a Marshall 4x12… Well the logical answer is that it won’t. It’s a 1x12 cabinet, it will never be able to push the amount of air a 4x12 cab is capable of. You’ll be able to use 2x12 or 4x12 or 4x10 etc. IR but they won’t sound authentic and real.

PC Verdict:

It’s expensive, it sounds really good, giving you a more rewarding tone from your modeller. It’s lightweight, powerful, the speaker is voiced for guitar vs a PA speaker. The PC+ has midi or AES/EBU capabilities which are a plus, you can select speaker models, modes etc. on the fly. (Served with your patch)

I was actually concerned about it being a 1x12 myself, I have used 4x12s for years, and for the most part I have not liked any 1x12 I played though.   I do like this one though. Probably because it is closed back.   I was thinking I would eventually move to the 2x12 but now.... I am quite happy with it.

I have to admit though, if they ever did a crazy 4x12 version, I would be first in line to say "Take my money".  :D