Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

no usb connectivity on two computers

hichembell

Hello,

I bought a helix a couple of days ago. updated the frimeware following the instructions, everything went fine as I even started to tweak my sounds using hx edit.

Yesterday my helix is not deteced by my lap top. did a research on the forum and tried different solutions

- changed different  usb cables

-changed usb ports

-unistalled driverers and all line6 softwares and re installed them

- did a factory reset ( yes I lost my presets)

-re installed the frimware of my laptop usb ports

- tried the helix on another computer with installed helix drivers and hx edit

...and no im not using a usb hub...

I would like to precise that the helix is not recognized at all by the computer...on a couple of ocasions, when I move  the usb connector a bit,  it is quickly recognized by windows  informing me : device not recognized and not working propeply and then it ejects it.

I'm left to think that it's a hardware issue. I opened a ticket waiting for an answer altough I live far away from any authorized line6 repair or oficiel line6 distributor (north Africa) I dont know what to do 

any one had the same experience ? 

First of all the "device not recognized" message is normal and really has no effect on the functionality.

I have yet to have any problems connecting the Helix any of my 3 different computers.  The main thing is you need to make sure the HXEdit version is the correct version for the firmware you're running on the Helix.  You said you loaded "softwares", but if you're on 2.8 or higher firmware you only need to download one thing which is the matching version of HXEdit, run it, and it will automatically download and install all the other things you need such as drivers and the Line 6 updater for updating firmware.  This is all documented in the installation and release notes for 2.8 firmware.

Exactly what I did. Regarding thé drivers unistalling them manually Just enabled me to re install them incase of any problem on the computer.. As i was t sûre that re installing hx edit will also ré install the drivers .. As it is mentioned in my first post evrything worked fine for me and stoped working out of a sudden on a given morning 

And I havent had any error message from thé part of Windows before so it is strange New behaviour for me 

For reasons unknown to me, there's *huge* differences between USB cables. Unfortunately, it's quite tough to sort out the dodgy ones as they may just work fine with, say, an external harddrive, a printer or whatever other peripherals. But they may not work fine on, say, a MIDI-via-USB keyboard (which is kinda weird as there's really not much traffic happening in terms of data amount). The Helix pretty much defenitely seems to be on the more sensible side of things, requiring one of the "good" cables.

So I recommend testing all kinds of cables until you find a working one and then mark that one.

SImilar things go for USB ports. Some of them aren't really running straight off a USB controller, most notably those on the front of desktop computers, those usually are connected through an internal USB hub - and in the vast majority of cases, that renders them unusable for the Helix (Line6 also recommends to never use a hub). Unfortunately, this sometimes also seems to be true for some ports on the back of the machines. And with laptops you really never exactly know. Again: Time to test.