Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to record only my guitar not Ultimate Guitar but hear it in phones

ryanguitarist

Hi, I'm not sure where to post this. I'm just getting into all this stuff and learning a lot every day. I will take any type of solution, and any type of knowledge and

I have a Line 6 Spider Jam (Yay!). I also am using a FocusRite Scarlette Solo and I am using Studio One the free version. I have an Epiphone Les Paul and I have a windows 10 dual monitor on a nice standing desk I built and the monitor is wall mounted- because I spend tons of time at the computer for my work.

What I seek: I want to listen to a song on Ultimate Guitar Tabs and play along with it but only have my guitar record. Right now the ultimate guitar songs bleed into the DAW track.

How I have it set up- I have my PC output going to the CD/MP3 input on Spider Jam. I have my headphones connected to the Spider Jam headphone out with a super long cable. I have 2 RCA cables going out the back of the Spider Jam to the FocusRite which is going into the computer via USB. I know this is what's happening- the Spider Jam takes in everything. Everything that I can hear in my headphones is getting sent to the interface, which is duly recording it. I want to be able to hear the music though without necessarily recording all I hear, without having a different headphone source in each ear or come out the PC speakers.

Is this possible and how would you effect this? How does one "filter" a certain source I guess? I'm willing to have different cable set ups if that's required, or maybe it's just turning some knobs.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...