Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noticeable phasing w/ HX Effect in Mesa series loop

revolver1010

I received a new multiwatt Mesa Triple Rectifier from Sweetwater yesterday and could not believe it when I put the HX Effects in its effects loop (with a completely blank patch, no effects) and got substantial phasing. The new effects loop on the multiwatt's are touted as series. I did some testing and found that only the clean channel is true 100% wet series. The gain channels (2 & 3) still pass a small amount of sound even if I put a distortion model on the HX and turn the level all the way down. What's odd is I've owned a Triple Rec in the past for many years. I had its effects loop modded to series and never had this issue with that older model and a Boss GT-10.

Has anyone else experienced this when putting the HX in a newer Rectifier loop? I've tested connecting a patch cable directly from send to return and that is fine as is my ISP Decimator II G-string (which goes to the front of the amp and also in the loop), however that pedal is analog. I'm guessing the slight digital delay mixed with dry signal is obviously what is causing this. At this point I am planning to send the amp back tomorrow. I need a true 100% wet series loop that doesn't exhibit phasing issues. Interestingly enough I have a Buger TriRec and that has a parallel loop but goes almost full wet and it doesn't experience this at all with the HX in the loop.

Rev.

4 hours ago, Bruce_W said:

I had a Roadster and the HX Effects sounded great in that loop. My old Recto was horrible.

How were you using the HX Effects, 4-cable method? I started thinking if using 4-cable would resolve this issue since the signal from the get go would be latent with the HX's internal dsp latency. In other words, right now I have analog signal (no latency) going into the front of the amp, then the HX effects in the loop adds a tiny bit of processing latency which mixed back with the slight bit of analog bleed through causes the phasing. So by putting the entire signal through the HX from the start there shouldn't be any difference in timing between the signals. I could give that a try tonight or tomorrow morning. But if that doesn't work the amp is shipping back tomorrow.

Rev.

16 hours ago, Melissiah said:

Some mesa like my dual rectifier have parallèle fx loop. In this case you have to send 100% wet 0% dry to avoir phasing issues.

So it seems I spent 15 minutes or so typing a reply and lost it. Well, not going to retype everything that was lost now, but point was yeah I had the old model as mentioned. I had it modded to series and it was fine. This new loop isn't truly series as Mesa touts it's only series on the clean channel, I've don't extensive testing that proves it. Either way this POS is on the way back to Sweetwater. Mesa really dropped the ball on this version. 

Rev. 

So I spoke to a Mesa tech today. His answer was all the things I mentioned (effects send changing the amp volume if adjusted when the loop is disengaged and the bleed from the gain channels) are normal. His answer as to why I was getting phasing with the HX Effects was "Some units work better with some amps than others". Yeah. Well my HX Effects works flawlessly in the loop of my Bugera TriRec. Whatev's, it's already in FedEx's hands.

Rev.