Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 3.0 HX Stomp getting 8 blocks... why?

OmniFace

I hear that the HX Stomp is supposed to get 8 blocks for the Helix 2.0 Firmware update.

Anyone have any idea if that's indicative of an under utilized DSP chip?  Or is it efficiency improvements to the algorithms themselves?

I'm mostly hoping for getting improvements in efficiency, because it would allow me to choose some different options on a path that has lots going on...

My understanding is that if you're using 6 low DSP blocks, you might be able to use additional effects, rather than being limited by having only 6 blocks to use.

It has nothing to do with changes to algorithms or better DSP optimization. It's being included "by popular demand".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, plarkin said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to the two additional blocks.  It will make it so much easier to transfer patches back and forth between my Stomp and my LT.

Unless your 8 blocks exceeds the DSP limit of the Stomp.

14 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

My understanding is that if you're using 6 low DSP blocks, you might be able to use additional effects, rather than being limited by having only 6 blocks to use.

It has nothing to do with changes to algorithms or better DSP optimization. It's being included "by popular demand".

Figures. 

I really wish the Helix had just a hair more power, or better efficiency.  It's just not quite enough to have a proper dual amp/cab setup and the other pre/post FX I want on a single path. I end up having to push a few to the 2nd path.  Since patch changes have a pretty audible gap, I need all these things available to flip on and off with snapshots.  Which is a bummer, since it'd be really nice to be able to run two instruments through the Helix at once (guitar and bass).

If they could just squeeze out like 1% more DSP for each effect it could unlock one or more blocks for additional processing.

Alas.  I'll wait for Helix 2 for that I guess.  lol

53 minutes ago, guitars69 said:

Figures. 

I really wish the Helix had just a hair more power, or better efficiency.  It's just not quite enough to have a proper dual amp/cab setup and the other pre/post FX I want on a single path. I end up having to push a few to the 2nd path.  Since patch changes have a pretty audible gap, I need all these things available to flip on and off with snapshots.  Which is a bummer, since it'd be really nice to be able to run two instruments through the Helix at once (guitar and bass).

If they could just squeeze out like 1% more DSP for each effect it could unlock one or more blocks for additional processing.

Alas.  I'll wait for Helix 2 for that I guess.  lol

Well, we ARE talking about the Stomp here. I have one for my desk.

For serious performance, I have no problem getting guitar and bass out of my Floor, with the Stomp for backup.

If I MUST use kitchen sink presets, I can always use the Stomp for bass.

But I get what you're saying. I wish my KIA was a Ferrari. :-)

Horses for courses.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Well, we ARE talking about the Stomp here. I have one for my desk.

For serious performance, I have no problem getting guitar and bass out of my Floor, with the Stomp for backup.

If I MUST use kitchen sink presets, I can always use the Stomp for bass.

But I get what you're saying. I wish my KIA was a Ferrari. :-)

Horses for courses.

Actually I’M talking about the full Helix.  So I have the Ferrari, but wish it was a little faster.

lol

Maybe I’ll buy the stomp or other one and use that to help offload some processing.  

• 1 month later...

Using both external loops and a volume pedal block takes half of the current blocks with virtually no DSP usage. Amp + IR takes two blocks. With my hybrid setup 3.0 will bring me the ability to switch between wah and volume in the same patch with one expression pedal and to add another stomp emulation.

• Upvote 1

It won’t happen I’m sure... but it would be nice to have dsp usage subject only  to how many blocks are actually on at one time.  It would be a rare occurrence that I ever had 8 blocks going at the same time.

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com

I recently got an additional Stomp for rehearsal and jamming. I surely have some patches with a load of blocks.

But with the presets for songs with fixed structure... I can go with 6 blocks so far. But I often found myself tweaking a lot because I just couldn't add a darn 7th block. 

Replacing a volume pedal block with an external volume pedal (the small Mooer Leveline fits the general size of the Stomp) and using the gate included with the input block was a big help.  For bass the Obsidian 7000 merged a lot of toneshaping into one block. 

But with 8 blocks - some more Path A/B action might be possible.

Just know that if you do both of the following...

• Before 3.0, complain about only 6 blocks
  • After 3.0, complain about running out of DSP because you can't fill all 8 blocks with whatever you like

...we're sending thugs to your house to administer an atomic wedgie.

El 23/4/2020 a las 14:18, Digital_Igloo dijo:

Sólo tienes que saber que si lo hace , tanto de la siguiente ...

• Antes de 3.0, quejarse de solo 6 bloques
  • Después de 3.0, quejarse de quedarse sin DSP porque no puede llenar los 8 bloques con lo que quiera

... enviamos matones a su casa para administrar una cuña atómica.

Estamos de acuerdo de no poder replicar la pedalera de "the edge", pero con 3.0 podremos poner Overdrive, distorsión, bloque de Wah, amp, ir, reverb, delay y eq (no es una cadena muy pretensiosa) o dices que alcanzamos el límite dsp igualmente?

On 4/23/2020 at 11:18 AM, Digital_Igloo said:

• After 3.0, complain about running out of DSP because you can't fill all 8 blocks with whatever you like

Gotta admit, if there's not a forthcoming amp model called "atomic wedgie" I'm gonna be a little disappointed.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, sinlimo said:

Gotta admit, if there's not a forthcoming amp model called "atomic wedgie" I'm gonna be a little disappointed.

I have it on good authority that there is, IN FACT, an ATOMIC WEDGIE AMP in the works. It's modeled on the highly sought after 5 watt Gorilla amp.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 5:38 PM, gearwhore666999 said:

Estamos de acuerdo de no poder replicar la pedalera de "the edge", pero con 3.0 podremos poner Overdrive, distorsión, bloque de Wah, amp, ir, reverb, delay y eq (no es una cadena muy pretensiosa) o dices que alcanzamos el límite dsp igualmente?

for what I know the DSP on the stomp is the same as one of the two DSP's on the floor, so anything that can be done on one path of the floor can be reproduced on the stomp ( @Digital_Igloo can you confirm this?)

on the HX floor you can certainly set up a chain like you described... but depending on which actual model you choose for each block:

wha > od > dist > amp > IR > eq > delay > reverb

• 2 weeks later...

Hola, veo que muchos dicen usar un bloque para el pedal de volumen; si pueden controlar el volumen del bloque del amplificador con el pedal de expresión, tienen un pedal de volumen sin desperdiciar un bloque. También pueden activar y desactivar el wah sin necesidad de utilizar un fs, si en controller assign ponen position y regulan entre el 0 y 95 %. Al bajar con el dedo gordo al maximo, se apaga, al volver se prende.

Saludos a todosss!

I have never run out of DSP on the Stomp, although I have to compromise on patches because of a lack of blocks.

The Stomp is backup for my Helix Rack and 8 blocks would certainly replicate my Helix setup, as I don't use many CPU intensive effects.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:13 PM, enrique_bellocq said:

Hola, veo que muchos dicen usar un bloque para el pedal de volumen; si pueden controlar el volumen del bloque del amplificador con el pedal de expresión, tienen un pedal de volumen sin desperdiciar un bloque. También pueden activar y desactivar el wah sin necesidad de utilizar un fs, si en controller assign ponen position y regulan entre el 0 y 95 %. Al bajar con el dedo gordo al maximo, se apaga, al volver se prende.

Saludos a todosss!

For those who don't speak Spanish.

Hello, I see that many claim to use a block for the volume pedal; if you can control the volume of the amplifier block with the expression pedal, you have a volume pedal without wasting a block. They can also turn wah on and off without using an fs, if in controller assign put position and regulate between 0 and 95%. When you lower your big toe to the max, it turns off, when you turn back on.

Greetings to all!

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2020 at 2:18 AM, Digital_Igloo said:

Guaranteed that’s going to happen,

there’s no way to win haha.

Any chance to allow two independent parallel paths with return L/R as an option for the input on the second path - just like the floor. For example having path 1 with input L/R and path 2 with return L/R. If that’s not possible, would also be great to allow a split in the path without having to have a block on the second path.

Used to have the floor, now have the stomp, and I miss the routing capability of the floor and the command center. Also unfortunate that we can’t select where digital input 1/2 is routed to. From what I understand this is a software limitation not a hardware limitation. Otherwise I love the stomp, same sounds at a fraction of the size. Thanks guys!

• 4 months later...
On 3/6/2020 at 5:35 PM, OmniFace said:

I hear that the HX Stomp is supposed to get 8 blocks for the Helix 2.0 Firmware update.

Anyone have any idea if that's indicative of an under utilized DSP chip?  Or is it efficiency improvements to the algorithms themselves?

I'm mostly hoping for getting improvements in efficiency, because it would allow me to choose some different options on a path that has lots going on...

I have the HX Stomp and the Pod Go, in my opinion knowing the HX costs $200 more than Pod Go, the least Line6 should do is to improve HX Stomp in response and performance. As simple as that and this would simply fair...

26 minutes ago, Hard333 said:

I have the HX Stomp and the Pod Go, in my opinion knowing the HX costs $200 more than Pod Go, the least Line6 should do is to improve HX Stomp in response and performance. As simple as that and this would simply fair...

You should spend some time over at TGP reading DI's explanations of the differences between the POD Go and the HXStomp. In brief, the POD Go is already a fully optimized unit. While some of the upcoming new amps and effects in v3.0 and going forward will also appear on the POD Go, it's not really going to get many new features, and some of the newer amps and effects just won't be there. The HXS, OTOH, has room for improvements and new features such as Command Center (coming in v3.0) and more DSP intensive amps and effects. It's not "throttled back" to wring the most money out of users, it's an ongoing project. They are two different devices designed for two different types of users.

Patience, Grasshopper, there  IS more to come! 

1 hour ago, Hard333 said:

Well, the Stomp is getting some pretty nice features with the 3.0 update. I don't think "fairness" has anything to do with it, though. I mean, the POD Go and the Stomp are just different products. There's stuff you can do on the Stomp that you can't do on the POD Go and vice versa. Most of the stuff you can do on the POD Go have to do with the fact that it has more footswitches, though. The Stomp is more powerful and flexible, even with 6 blocks.

But, anyway, 3.0 will be out, and it will alleviate you concerns, I think. Interestingly, enough, though, I don't think Line 6's reasoning for adding this stuff to the Stomp has anything to with the POD Go. The reasons will become more clear moving forward.

• Like 2