Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

CV Out on Helix Rack

telengard

If I'm not using a Helix floorboard in any way, what would this output be used for (if it can even be utilized)?

Will it pass through expression pedal input?

I have it connected to my patch panel, but now that I've tried to utilize it, I'm not sure if it's worth it.    :/

Here’s what the manual says about it....

EXT AMP 1/2, CV/Expression Out Connect EXT AMP to your traditional guitar amp to switch its channels or turn its reverb on and off. Use a TRS cable for dual operation (1=tip, 2=ring). Connect CV OUT to the expression pedal input on stompboxes or CV (Control Voltage) input on vintage pedals or synths.

2 hours ago, phil_m said:

If you have a pedal with an expression pedal input, you can connect that to the Helix’s CV out to control that pedal (in most cases).

Thanks for the ideas everyone.  I had read the manual but it didn't state anything answering what I was looking for.

And @phil_m (props for HSR avatar), yeah, that's what I was thinking, but it didn't seem that anything was coming out.  Put the expression pedal directly into my other pedal and it worked, through the Helix did not (so into EXP 1, and CV OUT to other pedal).

• 1 year later...

Not sure if i understood that correctly.

If i use two Helixes (floor / lt) parallely, and want to drive the gain-blocks in both Helixes with one Exp-pedal, is it then possible to connect the CV-out of the one Helix to the EXP-pedal-in of the other Helix ? The EXP-pedal of the first Helix should then appear in the second Helix as EXP3, i suppose. And then, i could assign the gain-block of the second Helix to the EXP-pedal of the first Helix.

Would be useful. Could then also assign blocks in a HX-Effects to the EXP-Pedal of a Helix-Floor this way.

Possible?

8 hours ago, AMountain said:

Not sure if i understood that correctly.

If i use two Helixes (floor / lt) parallely, and want to drive the gain-blocks in both Helixes with one Exp-pedal, is it then possible to connect the CV-out of the one Helix to the EXP-pedal-in of the other Helix ? The EXP-pedal of the first Helix should then appear in the second Helix as EXP3, i suppose. And then, i could assign the gain-block of the second Helix to the EXP-pedal of the first Helix.

Would be useful. Could then also assign blocks in a HX-Effects to the EXP-Pedal of a Helix-Floor this way.

Possible?

I wouldn’t mess with CV for that application. It would be way easier and cleaner to use MIDI.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 2:02 PM, phil_m said:

I wouldn’t mess with CV for that application. It would be way easier and cleaner to use MIDI.

Thank you. :) I did not know more on MIDI than how to write that word. Looked some videos on y-tube and read some articles and now know i will have to read some stuff more. But ok, i want for the moment only to drive the EXP-2 of the Helix2 with the EXP2 of the Helix1. So i bought a midi-cable and opened in Hlx.Edit of Helix1 the Command-Center and assigned there the EXP2. In the Helix2, eventually i did nothing. Functions, the mattering Vol-Block (to which EXP2 is assigned in both devices globally) in all the presets and all preset-lists of Helix2 reacts as wanted. Alas, in the moment i go in Helix1 then to another preset, the assigment is erased.

It seems to me that the way i do, i do program the command-center only for a preset, but not globally. Is there no way to program the Command-Center globally???

Edit: Seems so. Thus again spending my hours with tweaking 1000 times the same. So many tweakings should be faisable globally or per preset-list. That's really an issue with the Helix. Alas i do not know enough about programming, but i cannot imagine there's no way to introduce this option, at least for Vol-blocks and for the output. And for the Command-center. Simply add a switch that says: Apply globally. Apply for this preset-list. Apply for this preset (specially with true parallel path-presets). 

Ok, phil_m, thanks for the hint, i use the fiirst time in my life MIDI. Was even able to assign footswitch-commandos, but it is every time a fight to get the right colours in the display (they're first grey instead of green or violet or whatever and it's a strange and at first impression unlogic procedure for to activate the assigned colour).

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 2:02 PM, phil_m said:

Hi Phil 

I did as you recommended and yes, basically it functions.

EXP2 of Helix1 is assigned to a gain-block,

then i opened in HX-Edit  Window->CommandCenter, and set for the EXP2 the MIDIchannel on Base, CC on 2, min-value on 1 and max-value on 127. 

The device is connected via MIDI-cable to a second Helix with, let's say, the same preset, and the gain-block there is reacting as wished -- i can drive with the EXP2-pedal of Helix1 the gain-block of both Helixes parallely.

But when i change now in the second Helix the preset, the gain-block there is not directly in the actual position of the EXP-pedal of the first Helix, but i have first to move that one up or down so that the Gain-block in the second Helix reacts and equalizes to the in the Helix1. That disturbs while playing. Is there any trick so that the gain-block of the 2nd Helix is imediately in the position of the EXP2-pedal of the first Helix?

If not, then i stand again at the beginning of my request how to drive them parallely. Perhaps then i must buy an external pedal with two out and drive the gain-blocks of both Helixes by an external pedal for to really never have differences in the equality of the volume, too when switching presets.

Aunt Edit: But it's still better than the situation was before your hint.