Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do I have a defective HX Effects? Amp channel switching problem

revolver1010

I've had a channel switching problem that I originally put down to my Bugera TriRec. Figured it's a cheap amp and that must be the problem. However, I recently bought a Mesa Triple Rec and I used to own one in the past. In that past instance I used it with a Boss GT-10. With the Boss GT-10 it worked flawlessly to have patch changes switch to the appropriate channel - say clean channel or Channel 3 distorted. With the HX Effects I can't get it to work properly and consistently with either the Bugera nor the Mesa. I'm considering picking up a GT1000 tomorrow just to test and see if I have a defective HX Effects.

So here's what it's doing on each amp. I am using a Hosa TRS to Dual Mono ( Tip & Ring both wired to tips) cable. With the Bugera I can get the channels to change no problem so long as I select a scene with no amp switching enabled first. So, let me make this easy. If I have Scene 1 set to clean channel and Scene 2 set to gain channel 2 if I change from scene 1 to scene 2 the amp channel *does not* change. However, if I am on Scene 1 clean channel and then tap Scene 3 (no amp channel changes programmed) THEN hit Scene 2 the amp channel switches! It's like the amp is holding onto the channel until there's a "CLEAR, nothing selected" hit first via another scene. So, I can switch amp channels between presets but each time I must first tap a scene with no amp channel info programmed for it to work. Obviously that is impossible to work with live.

Next: tried the Mesa multi-watt Triple Rec (which is getting returned due to effects loop phasing issues). With the Mesa it switches automatically with each scene change however the results sometime randomly change. So for example I will setup Scene 1 as clean, Scene two Vintage channel, Scene 3, Modern. Switch between them and eventually one channel switches to something it's not assigned to via tip/ring. So I'll switch between them a couple of times all ok then all of a sudden when I go from say Vintage channel 2 to Moder Channel 3 this time I get clean channel instead of Modern Channel 3!

I fell like I'm cursed the past 48 hours. Btw, I'm using Instances to do the switching, using the most recent firmware, and also see glitches there. I'll program in an instance switch setting in a scene like Ext Amp 1 Tip and save the preset and go back to that scene and it will say Ext Amp None WTF!!!???

Rev.

For the Bugera, try this. On each Snapshot, set Instant Command 1 to "NONE", then set IC2 to the proper selection.

In Global Settings>Preferences, set Snapshot Edits to RECALL. Once all the Snapshots are working, then go to the Snapshot you want to load first and SAVE.

The Dual/TripleRec is a PITA to get to work. I've worked with a couple of users on different versions, and the only way we've gotten it to work was with MIDI and the VooDoo Labs Control Switcher. 

9 hours ago, rd2rk said:

For the Bugera, try this. On each Snapshot, set Instant Command 1 to "NONE", then set IC2 to the proper selection.

In Global Settings>Preferences, set Snapshot Edits to RECALL. Once all the Snapshots are working, then go to the Snapshot you want to load first and SAVE.

The Dual/TripleRec is a PITA to get to work. I've worked with a couple of users on different versions, and the only way we've gotten it to work was with MIDI and the VooDoo Labs Control Switcher. 

Thanks for the suggestions, really appreciate it. Unfortunately I tried them with no success on the Bugera. It still requires I first select a Snapshot without an amp switch command set to actually make the changes happen. If I go from Scene 1 on Green Channel to Scene 2 Red channel nothing happens unless I first stomp on Scene 3 with nothing assigned then stomp on Scene 2 and it changes. Seriously bizarre but it seems like the Bugera is constantly holding onto the channel until it gets some kind of "let go" command. I've tried the footswitch amp channel changing set to both momentary and latch and no difference. With the Mesa everything actually switched and I was very excited then noticed that it would sometimes change to the wrong channel as mentioned before. Tap through a few scenes and all is looking good then next thing you know you tap Scene 2 and now it's on the clean channel instead of Red Modern! That absolutely cannot happen in a live setting. Hell not even for rehearsal.

Rev.

38 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Do you have the EXT AMP commands assigned to footswitches in the HX Effects, or are you just trying to use Instant Commands?

I've tried it both ways and it didn't make any difference. The manual seems to suggest channels won't switch unless footswitches are assigned but maybe that was an old firmware. It switches with just the instants on the Mesa, just with the Bugera I have to tap to a scene with no instant assigned then tap one with an assignment for the channel to change. But yes I tried assigning footswitches to EXT Amp extensively, I've tried every possibility I can imagine. I also just tried EXT AMP 2 and set the port to AMP in global preferences and NOTHING happens with the scenes set *exactly* the same way just set to EXT Amp 2 instead of 1. This is seriously bizarre behaviour. With two different amps now I cannot seem to make successful or consistent amp channel changes.

Rev.

Well I am now happy as hell!!! I finally got amp channel switching working on my Bugera TriRec with the HX Effects. My dumbass never realized the Bugera footswitch has a midi in!! I'm very well versed with midi having used it for over 20 years. I was on the train and just thought to look at the Bugera manual. One thing I found that was interesting was the channel switches are non-latching. I was able to get stomp control working with a TRS cable with momentary switching but still was unable to get instant commands working for switching when changing snapshots. Anyhoo, when looking at the manual earlier I saw the midi in so I hooked up a midi cable, setup the midi channel and program change numbers and bingo! EVERYTHING switches flawlessly - channels, boost on/off, etc.

Rev.