Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Triggering Plugins Through Helix

ferzad

I love Helix and have been using it for 5 years. But I also like the sound of Neural DSP's Archetype Plini. Is there a way I could assign one of the foot switches to the plugin and route the audio into my amp through the helix?

Using Helix as AI, only way I've found is to use a dedicated preset, as you can't (AFAIK) use a FS or Snapshot to change the Ins/Outs.

Using an external AI, piece o'cake! Just use an FX loop to/from the AI and assign the loop and any Helix amps/FX that you don't want on when using the plugin to a FS.

AI = Audio Interface.

Using an external AI, you take the SEND of the Helix FX Loop to the AI's Input, and the AI's Output to the Helix FX Loop Return.

Don't forget the FS assignments to toggle the Helix amps and unnecessary FX when you switch the FX Loop ON.

Using Helix as AI, you set the Output on Path 1A to USB 1/2, and the Input on Path 2A to USB 3/4.

You set the Input on the track with your plugin to 1/2 and the Output to 3/4.

Sure, it can be done. Route as rd2rk mentioned. Use the Helix Command Center to set up footswitches to send the appropriate MIDI via USB to Plini. You will have to deal with round-trip latency (audio delay), though .... and the severity of that will depend on your setup.

10 hours ago, ferzad said:

thanks I will try this. not looking forward to the latency but I guess that can't be helped. 

Latency will be around 20ms RT with Helix on your i5 at 128/48.

Around 12ms with a mid-range AI like Focusrite Scarlett.

I get 7.6ms RT with Scarlett at 64/48 on an i7 with 16gb.

You can get down to around 4ms with a latest gen i9 and high end AI.

How much do you want to spend to be able to use plugins?

Dang. Especially for live gigs, I personally have problems playing tightly if latency gets above 10 ms. I can sort of adapt and adjust to the delay, but there's something about being close to speakers and hearing an unnatural delay that messes up my neurons.