Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native on Intel NUC

Kukuruza

Hi everyone!

I want to buy a mini PC - Intel NUC and run Hx native from there. I know that helix requires 2 Ghz CPU but anyway I wanted to ask just to be sure....

Is it enough to run Helix native on

Intel celeron N2820 2,13 Ghz, will it be enough??? Did anybody have such experience?

There are some other cheap cpu. Which of them are usable?

Intel Atom D525

Celeron N3050

Celeron N3000

You're going to want as much processing power and memory as you can afford.  DAWs really eat into your system's resources, so I personally wouldn't go with anything less than 16GB of RAM and at least an i7 quad-core processor (which you can build-to-order on a Mac mini).  By the time you configure a Mac mini that way you're already crossing into the price range for a decent iMac. Anytime you see minimum requirements with any software, that's just enough to make it function, but it will drag as you start putting more blocks in your patches.  it will basically be slow AF.  The video card is less important for just recording audio.

This of course is my personal opinion from someone that's been in enterprise IT for over 25 years.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

But you definitely overestimate Helix Native requirements. Even official Line 6 tech.requirements list says that it's enough to have 2Ghz and 4Gb Ram.

I have a 10 year old laptop with core 2 duo 3ghz cpu and 8 Gb Ram, and I run Reaper with 30 tracks projects, 6 tracks in it are processed by Helix Native at the same time and I have no issues. So you exaggerate...

BTW, I'm not going to use DAW on this mini PC. I will run Helix via vst host program, like "Savihost" for example, so DAW will not require any resources.

I just wanna know how smooth will Helix run on 2Ghz CPU and 4 Gb RAM and will I face any serious limitations??

Any experience? Somebody, please?

1 hour ago, soundog said:

You may need to be the pioneer on this one. Let us know what happens.

Oh no, I'm not) check this out

I think it's such a great idea! If you assemble this system and even make a decent metal housing for it, then you can make your own multi-software (helix, overloud, bias, you name it) processor which can be constantly updated with the new software in future. 

I'm not 100% how reliable is it to use such system, but it seems to me that it will be fine. In this case I will not have to buy new hardware all the time)

Yeah, reliability is the question...

Another question is - will it be enough to run HX Native on 2 Ghz and 4 Gb of RAM?

I want to make this project as cheap as possible so don't want to buy an expensive NUC...

Anybody? Any experience?

On 3/8/2020 at 1:24 PM, Kukuruza said:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

But you definitely overestimate Helix Native requirements. Even official Line 6 tech.requirements list says that it's enough to have 2Ghz and 4Gb Ram.

I have a 10 year old laptop with core 2 duo 3ghz cpu and 8 Gb Ram, and I run Reaper with 30 tracks projects, 6 tracks in it are processed by Helix Native at the same time and I have no issues. So you exaggerate...

BTW, I'm not going to use DAW on this mini PC. I will run Helix via vst host program, like "Savihost" for example, so DAW will not require any resources.

I just wanna know how smooth will Helix run on 2Ghz CPU and 4 Gb RAM and will I face any serious limitations??

Any experience? Somebody, please?

Minimum requirements are just that. Minimum requirements. Best of luck and I hope it works for you.

Got your first unedited message If you’re such an expert, then why are you asking the question in the first place? Minimum requirements are just that. Minimum requirements to make it run. Best of luck to you with your mini

There is no need to be so touchy, I didn't want to offend anyone. 

Yeah, I understand that 2 Ghz will be enough to run it. 

The question is more about limitations and bugs I could face when running HX on a such low spec PC.

Maybe someone did it already and can tell about it? That's all I wanna know

On 3/16/2020 at 2:43 AM, Kukuruza said:

Got your first unedited message If you’re such an expert, then why are you asking the question in the first place? Minimum requirements are just that. Minimum requirements to make it run. Best of luck to you with your mini

There is no need to be so touchy, I didn't want to offend anyone. 

Yeah, I understand that 2 Ghz will be enough to run it. 

The question is more about limitations and bugs I could face when running HX on a such low spec PC.

Maybe someone did it already and can tell about it? That's all I wanna know

I edited it right away because it came across "a little rough."  My apologies.  I'm sure you'll figure out a solution that works for you.

That's ok. No worries

BTW I already got a mini PC with Celeron J3160 CPU, 2.2Ghz, 4Gb RAM

Installed Win7, Helix Native and TH U overloud

I have used my focusrite 2i2 first gen. Audio interface. I set the buffer to 64 and it works. I have latency just only 3ms - great, I don't feel it while playing.

The CPU usage is approx. 30%.

I played the whole evening and had no issues at all

Now I need a cheap midi footswitch controller