Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What do you play your Helix through at home/ band practise?

snarfarf

Heyas! I got a Helix Lt about 3 weeks ago. I have a mesa boogie lonestar and so have my helix in the loop of it at the moment and just usuing the lonestars poweramp to test out the different amps.

I'm loving the distorted amps through it but alot of the clean amps are just sounding very similar to the lonestar to me as I'm not getting their full charactersitcs when usuing the lonestars poweramp.

So I'm just wondering what you all play yours through and why you love it and if you changed from a different set up what was it you changed from?

Thanks a million!

I have multiple avenues to listen to Helix on, but the two main ones are a couple of Power-cab +'s running back to the mixer (and audio interface) and into my near-field Mackie HR 824 monitors. The other way is using the built-in cab IR's in Helix straight into the HR-824's. With the Power cabs I can change the settings on them "per-patch" with Helix, for example from a Fender Jensen speaker on a Deluxe, to a Marshall green-back on a Marshall amp patch. I recommend them !

• Like 1

I had something similar to your situation, before helix I had several rack preamps and a rack power amp, when I took the helix I did the test using the emulation of the premp (not the heads) and using the rack power amp that i had. I had evidence that the guitar power amp alters the sound in a similar way to a preamplifiers, so everything was altered by the power amp. I have replaced the power amp with another one with custom guitar power amp with more neutral sound but the character of the power amp always made itself felt, so i have replaced it again with an a HiFi integrated amp and a HiFi Spekaer solving everything with the IR.

A guitar power amp alter the sound like a clean channel of the preamp, but with slight differences on certain aspects.

PS: sorry for my bad english

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spikey said:

I have multiple avenues to listen to Helix on, but the two main ones are a couple of Power-cab +'s running back to the mixer (and audio interface) and into my near-field Mackie HR 824 monitors. The other way is using the built-in cab IR's in Helix straight into the HR-824's. With the Power cabs I can change the settings on them "per-patch" with Helix, for example from a Fender Jensen speaker on a Deluxe, to a Marshall green-back on a Marshall amp patch. I recommend them !

Thanks a million for the reply!

Is the plus worth it over the normal one?

I think I will order one while I still have the mesa and see if I like it enough and then sell the mesa after if I do..

At home I run my Helix through studio monitors. On stage I run direct to FOH and monitor myself though the provided monitor system, always with my own separate mix. If I don't trust (or don't like) the monitors I carry my own FRFR and run that on stage. 

In all cases I use it through full range boxes, not through a standard guitar amp.  

• Like 1

At home: through headphones (directly connected), my IEM (xlr to Behringer powerplay personal IEM system) or through a Peavy PV8 mixer into a small and cheap audio amp with cheap studio monitors (mostly for checking levels and presets at higher volume).

I could use my Fender Blues deluxe at home also, but due to the amp being very loud, I generally don’t use that option.

At rehearsal with my main band: either the PA-system which is really bad and old, while using my personal IEM in one ear, or through our Soundcraft mixer as IEM-mix (really love these silent rehearsals) which we also use as our IEM mixer for gigs.

At rehearsal with my secondary band: through the poweramp stage of my Laney LC30 tubeamp (no useable PA-system there), had to switch the cab sims off for this option, so I made a few separate presets for it.

At gigs: directly to FOH and to my personal IEM where I mix it with the complete band return signal from the monitor mixing desk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, snarfarf said:

Is the plus worth it over the normal one?

From TGP- https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-powercab-112-and-powercab-112-plus.1931154/

What’s the difference between Powercab 112 and Powercab 112 Plus?
Powercab 112 Plus adds the following:

• 2-inch, 128 x 32-pixel LCD display
  • 128 user preset locations
  • 128 user IR locations
  • MIDI In and Out for recalling presets, IRs, and most parameters (can also be recalled via USB)
  • AES/EBU | L6 LINKTM digital In and Out
  • Additional input for use as an FOH monitor (post-DSP)
  • Powercab Edit connectivity
  • USB audio interface for jamming along with or monitoring backing tracks from your Mac/PC/iOS* device
  • User-selectable mic modeling and distance on the XLR output (Powercab 112’s output uses an SM58 model only)
  • Powercab 112 Plus is about 2 lb (1 kg) heavier
  • Like 1

I began using my Helix Floor with my Fender Mustang IV v.2 Amp as a powered cab via the Mustang's L&R Return Line Ins or via my Fender Mustang III v2's Line In. When I added a Yamaha THR10C it too worked wonderfully via it's Stereo Aux In as a near field lower SPL powered cab and it is battery powered! Subsequently I got sets of JBL LSR305s and JBL308s Studio Monitors with JBL310sub, and a pair of Yamaha DXR10s. These, plus an assortment of headphones, and another acoustic guitar amp provides a wide range of choices for use with my Helix Floor, and HX Stomp.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, macello said:

I had something similar to your situation, before helix I had several rack preamps and a rack power amp, when I took the helix I did the test using the emulation of the premp (not the heads) and using the rack power amp that i had. I had evidence that the guitar power amp alters the sound in a similar way to a preamplifiers, so everything was altered by the power amp. I have replaced the power amp with another one with custom guitar power amp with more neutral sound but the character of the power amp always made itself felt, so i have replaced it again with an a HiFi integrated amp and a HiFi Spekaer solving everything with the IR.

A guitar power amp alter the sound like a clean channel of the preamp, but with slight differences on certain aspects.

PS: sorry for my bad english

thanks a mullion for the replys :)

I play through the same thing at home, at practice and in performance which is a Yamaha DXR12 placed in a backline configuration on a half height pole at roughly chest height.  I do have a couple of other options I can use such as a EV ZLX-12 and a QSC CP8 for smaller venues.  But I try to be consistent so I can have a consistent sound from the FOH wherever I play.