Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I can't get a good metal sound for recording

Havukruunu

Hello all, 

I have bought the hx stomp last week. I use it with a guitar Ormsby gtr7 and Reaper tool to record myself. I have a metal project (only for recording) and before I used a Pod HD. 

My problem is: I saw a lot of videos / tutorials on how to create tones, I have bought good IRs and I can not have a metal tone that is "naughty" but at the same time "clean" without too much crunchy noises. And my Pod HD was able to doing this. But when I am listening all those tutorials on YouTube, they sound awesome. 

Can you please help me? I do not really understand where the problem comes from... 

Best

Tulzcha

8 hours ago, Havukruunu said:

Hello all, 

I have bought the hx stomp last week. I use it with a guitar Ormsby gtr7 and Reaper tool to record myself. I have a metal project (only for recording) and before I used a Pod HD. 

My problem is: I saw a lot of videos / tutorials on how to create tones, I have bought good IRs and I can not have a metal tone that is "naughty" but at the same time "clean" without too much crunchy noises. And my Pod HD was able to doing this. But when I am listening all those tutorials on YouTube, they sound awesome. 

Can you please help me? I do not really understand where the problem comes from... 

Best

Tulzcha

Have you tried using dual amps? That's what I do. Not sure if the stomp does dual, and if it does you'll run out of dsp pretty darn quick, but for Helix Native I use a Line 6 Epic amp alongside a Mesa Dual Rec. Sounds awesome. I'm using an Ownhammer IR that is a Mesa/Diezel V30 blend. 

Rev. 

You might consider adding Helix Native to your toolbox and use it in dual paths with your Stomp. I’ve done that and also added a Diezel VH4 distortion pedal to the Native path (going into a fairly clean Marshall amp in Native) while running through a high gain amp in the Stomp

I can get a pretty solid metal tone out of just the Revv amp model and a noise gate. Dial the bass down a little, set the gain so pinch harmonics hit easy, set the Aggression parameter to 2, pick a cab you like (I really like the ML Soundlab IRs for everything metal), and go to town. That amp model doesn't even really need a boost for modern tones. But the trick for modern metal having that saturated, yet articulate tone is light comp->OD boost with a bass cut (tubescreamer with the tone up)-> high-gain amp with the gain dialed back pretty low, just enough to saturate with the boost engaged->V30 cab with either an SM57 or a combo of a SM57 and a bassier mic.

I have good experience with the friedman amp mode, i feel that this amp really is the best for whatever i try to do.

Compressor->tubescreamer->Friedman->fx loop->v30 IR->EQ. Just remember to cut the high/low on the IR to tighten it all.

13 hours ago, kongssund said:

I have good experience with the friedman amp mode, i feel that this amp really is the best for whatever i try to do.

Compressor->tubescreamer->Friedman->fx loop->v30 IR->EQ. Just remember to cut the high/low on the IR to tighten it all.

Thank you for your answer! 

I do not find the Friedman amp in the HX stomp :) 

Moreover I don't understand how to use the fx loop and the utility of it. 

Can you please help me? 

Thank you! 

Try: low/High cut cutting lows to 160-200Hz > Noisegate > TS9 (2.0, 0.0 ,7.0 controls roughly) > Rev Amp model on Agressive 2/Peavy 5150 > Cab V30 or an IR)

I run my Helix directly into my Macbook and use Garageband. It sounds very good. I don't us the LA Compressor it does tighten the sound and make it more aggressive, but at the cost of dynamics. Maybe for Rhythm tracks.