Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

hx stomp, bizarre recording issue

kprivigyi

Hi, I just purchased the HX Stomp, and when I record direct to PC the most bizarre thing happens.  I play it back and the guitar is completely tuned different.  I re-recorded a test track hitting the open G.  I could hear the string and the headphones were the same note.  I stop recording and play it back, the G is somewhere between 1/2 and whole step detuned.  I am baffled.  This occurs on both factory patches as well as user patches I've made from scratch.

Is this some kind of known bug?  Incredibly imbecelic factory setting?  My specific device just came off the wrong line and is completely toast?

Should I return it before the window closes?

I'm using Audacity.  I tested the same recording but instead used my Digitech GSP1101, and it recorded fine, no detuning on the guitar track.

The Audacity file I'm using has a backing track recorded on tracks 1 and 2, and that doesn't detune, everything sounds perfect when I record the guitar on track 3, until playback- when I record direct (raw) or with the GSP, it's fine.  With the HX Stomp, detuned.

I suppose I'm going to return it, this just isn't normal and gives me a bad feeling about the overall performance quality.

Like Phil said, A playback difference in sample rates can cause this in some DAWs. Check that your project sample rate is the same as the Stomp. This kinda sounds like recording at 48k and playing back at 44.1 with pitch and time correction turned off...Anyhoo, a mismatched rate can cause what you describe. a note recorded at 48k will be almost a whole step lower when played back at 44.1...

39 minutes ago, kprivigyi said:

I'm using Audacity.  I tested the same recording but instead used my Digitech GSP1101, and it recorded fine, no detuning on the guitar track.

The Audacity file I'm using has a backing track recorded on tracks 1 and 2, and that doesn't detune, everything sounds perfect when I record the guitar on track 3, until playback- when I record direct (raw) or with the GSP, it's fine.  With the HX Stomp, detuned.

I suppose I'm going to return it, this just isn't normal and gives me a bad feeling about the overall performance quality.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with the Stomp itself. It's a setting in your DAW somewhere. The Stomp and GSP are using different ASIO drivers, so the fact that they're behaving differently is largely irrelevant. You just need to make sure you have the settings for your project set to the correct sample rate.

I recorded a track in audacity, just strumming an "A" chord. I then played over it it "A". No problem.

I went looking for the sample rate that Audacity is using, it was 44.1. No problem with Stomp at it's default 48k.

I changed it to 48k. No problem.

Whatever your problem is, it's in Audacity.

Before you return it, try downloading another DAW.

Both Reaper and Cakewalk are excellent and FREE (Reaper is unlimited trial and $60 when you're ready).

On 3/9/2020 at 9:19 AM, kprivigyi said:

I've tried it with both factory presets and newly created patches.  Same result.

Worth noting that I also downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Line 6

Have you configured Audacity to use the Line 6 ASIO driver? By default I believe it uses ASIO4ALL, a non-compliant pseudo- ASIO driver that is known to cause problems with Line 6 devices.