Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Modulation Effects in "Post" or in the FX Loop?

Mongoosiest

Hello all,

I'm wondering what you all think about adding things like modulation after the amp/cab - essentially in post?  I'm hoping a studio person can step in and enlighten me.  The reason I ask is due to my setup...

I have distortions/preamps being fed into a Torpedo CAB M, which is all in one loop of the HX effects - this essentially means I have all of the amp in a loop.  This works well for adding HX Effects drives before the loop, and delays and reverbs after it.  All good!

But, is adding things like flangers and chorus after the loop (essentially after the amp/cab) the same as adding it into an amps effects loop?  Is this what studio engineers do all the time?

I could separate the CAB M into it's own loop, splitting the preamp and poweramp and put the effects in-between just like a regular effects loop in an amp, but that would take up another block, plus I like the simplicity of having it all in line (same applies for using the IRs in the HX Effects).

So, is it the same adding effects after the amp in post?  Or is there a difference by putting them in-between the preamp and poweramp?  

Thanks for your thoughts!