Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Taylor acoustic patch and settings

DOndek

Hi all, Been using my Helix floor solely for electric, but would like to start to use it for acoustic. I’ll primarily be running a Taylor 810ce and a Taylor K65ce (12 string), both have the Taylor Expression system ES1, so wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on patches, settings, blocks, etc etc. Thx!! 

Hi. Thx for the reply and suggestions. After submitting my post, I continued to wade through the endless abyss of posts with words like Taylor, acoustic, etc in them, and down the rabbit hole I went!  I did find this very helpful article which I’m hoping to try once I have time to plug my Helix into my laptop and set it up. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/jimamsden.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/creating-a-helix-acoustic-guitar-patch/amp/

will take a read through you article suggestions, but from what I’m starting to gather, just finding the right IR could be another rabbit hole. Where do people find the time for all this?!?!

A few considerations for acoustic guitar patches based on my experience with Helix....

1. Do not run the Helix output through a typical guitar amp. You’ll just never get a good acoustic tone that way. Route your output to FRFR speakers (mixer, PA speakers, studio monitors).

2. Don’t use any guitar amp or cab in your Helix preset. Do use the Studio preamp model. Also experiment with the LA Studio compressor model.

3. Get familiar with EQ for acoustic guitar. Google is your friend. You may find you want several EQ blocks in your preset. In your case, use your Taylor onboard EQ first.

4. Experiment with the Simple Pitch FX block to fatten the sound by applying some slight detuning; mix the wet/dry output to taste.

5. Experiment with FX like chorus, delay,  and reverb. A little goes a long way.

Hi. Thx for the reply and tips: 

1. Agreed, I only run my Helix to the main board for acoustic and electric. 

2. I have read that the LA Studio is key, that helps validate it. 

3. Agreed on EQ. I’m good with some EQ adjustments but sometimes it gets a little overwhelming. I’m not a big fan of the ES1’s on my Taylor’s, so will most likely leave the onboard settings flat and adjust via the Helix. 

4. Interesting. Will read up on that and experiment a little. 

5. Definitely on reverb and maybe some delay in pockets. I’ll have a chorus effect in the patch, but having lived through 80’s hairbands who saturated their acoustic sounds with chorus (which I loved at the time), I typically go for a cleaner sound.