Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powering a Helix Floor with a Pedalboard power supply?

nbiglin

I know literally nothing about electricity aside from how to solder a bit. But I was wondering, is it possible to power a Helix floor unit (yes the big one, not the stomp or FX), with a normal pedal board power supply? Like a Strymon  zuma or a one spot? I realize you'd need an IEC to 9V plug adaptor, but I'm more wondering about the current and amps.

The Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ has a convenience outlet that you could plug the Helix into, but beyond that, no, you wouldn't be able to power the Helix from a power brick like that. The Helix needs between 100V and 240V to operate.

You could use an IEC splitter cable like this to feed the power supply and the Helix. I did this with my Helix and the Strymon Ojai for awhile.

image.png.6f8416aafa2f1a89060f6cdb83619a24.png

1 hour ago, Mongoosiest said:

I use  a CIOKS DC7 - each outlet supports 660mA, so two of them combined is enough to power it 

He's talking about the Helix, not the HX Effects or Stomp. The Helix needs 100-240V AC.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/9/2020 at 9:57 PM, nbiglin said:

I know literally nothing about electricity aside from how to solder a bit. But I was wondering, is it possible to power a Helix floor unit (yes the big one, not the stomp or FX), with a normal pedal board power supply? Like a Strymon  zuma or a one spot? I realize you'd need an IEC to 9V plug adaptor, but I'm more wondering about the current and amps.

Even if you could power the Helix with a power supply that wouldn't make any sense anyway. You still have to power the pedal board power supply, so you're still plugging something in.  I just use an extension cord with a 3 female head to plug in the Helix and the Zuma for my side effects. (side effects are mainly an EQ for the monitor, a Digitech drop so I don't have to bring 5 guitars with me, my favorite OD, and whatever else I feel like lugging that particular instance.)