Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How can i make other metal amps sound like the Badonk?

willyjacksonjs22

amp choice with EQ = personal choice bud...    and ultimately a necessity, that's why most amps include an EQ right on the front of an amp,  even the badonk has EQ controls.   

If you want other amps to sound like the badonk, keep using the badonkydonk....

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, phil_m said:

This is a weird post... How do you make vanilla ice cream taste like chocolate ice cream? If you succeed in doing that, haven't you just made chocolate ice cream?

I had a philosophy professor in college who would have had a field day with this...

• Downvote 1

I have no problem getting tight tones with any of the "metal" amps on the Helix. They all have different gain structures, EQ functions, etc. The cab is going to be a big part of the sound, too. If the Mesa model is too dark, change the mic/cab, or try dual cabs. The Revv model can do tight modern metal without a boost, so can the Friedman model. The badonk is a cool amp, for sure, but I prefer the 5150, Revv, Modded 2204, or the Friedman model over it most of the time. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jorgealberto25 said:

omg u guys. not trying to make it sound the same. they DONT sound tight thats all

I don't think it's uncommon for people to use overdrives or especially EQs with real amps to get the sort of metal tones you hear on recordings. As mentioned above, the cab and IR are a huge variable, too. The tones you hear on albums are probably EQ'ed and sculpted a lot more than you think.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jorgealberto25 said:

The Badonk is the only metal amp I like, it sounds tight and bright. others sound lifeless and always need an overdrive but don’t impress me. the pv panama sucks and the recto sounds dark. Do all these amps need an eq to sound like the badonk or the real amp? 

you should back up and provide some additional details 

guitar is it a 6 to 240 string guitar?  

Stock cab guy or IR's? 

do you use a boost all the time? 

what are you trying to achieve....

whatever it is....... the Helix has it covered mostly. 

you may be aware the badonk has a tonne of available and usable  low end, most guys throw the screamer in front to cut the low end out, tightening the sound up even more. 

I"m not big fan of the amps that feel super tight -  and there are a bunch that feel that way.    

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

This is a weird post... How do you make vanilla ice cream taste like chocolate ice cream? If you succeed in doing that, haven't you just made chocolate ice cream?

2 hours ago, silverhead said:

Why not just stick with what you like - the Badonk? Not sure what you’re trying to accomplish, other than perhaps satisfying curiosity.

These are the answers.

I'll just add that you will never succeed in making any amp sound like "the real amp" because the Badonk is not a model of a real amp - it's a Line6 original.

The Badonk IS the real amp.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Heavyville said:

you should back up and provide some additional details 

guitar is it a 6 to 240 string guitar?  

Stock cab guy or IR's? 

do you use a boost all the time? 

what are you trying to achieve....

whatever it is....... the Helix has it covered mostly. 

you may be aware the badonk has a tonne of available and usable  low end, most guys throw the screamer in front to cut the low end out, tightening the sound up even more. 

I"m not big fan of the amps that feel super tight -  and there are a bunch that feel that way.    

im using 6 string guitars on E and drop D.

i use the stock cabs.

yes i boost all the time

i really like that tone from lamb of god laid to rest song, metallica, megadeth. the guitars have like this metallic tight tone that i cant explain.

the bandok amp seems to get those tones without any eq. its just a curiosity, but ill try the eq pedals. 

On 3/11/2020 at 4:17 PM, jorgealberto25 said:

im using 6 string guitars on E and drop D.

i use the stock cabs.

yes i boost all the time

i really like that tone from lamb of god laid to rest song, metallica, megadeth. the guitars have like this metallic tight tone that i cant explain.

the bandok amp seems to get those tones without any eq. its just a curiosity, but ill try the eq pedals. 

Now we are getting somewhere! 

How do you expect people to help you if you can't express what you are really looking for?

• Upvote 1