Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Controlling Helix with Logic Pro X

DevonJeffrey

You need to record a MIDI track of your changes.Presets automatically send MIDI, but Snapshots only send MIDI if you assign the Snapshot MIDI (CC#69 Values 0-7) to an Instant Command in Command Center. If you're using more than one preset, you'd have to do it in all the presets you plan to use.

I used a MIDI track I created in Logic to control a HX Effects in real-time just this last weekend. You need to create an External MIDI track in Logic, then use the Event List for that MIDI track to manually enter the MIDI CC commands that rd2rk (and the manual) mentions. Make sure the event list includes the same MIDI channel you have specified for your Helix (I think it defaults to Channel 1). I'm assuming your drummer is using a click track? If so, the snapshot changes will be sent in time as long as the events are at the right place on the time line.

3 hours ago, ajfkeith said:

If I'm not mistaken there's a preset in the TEMPLATES setlist that is specifically designed to control either logic or garageband.  It was introduced in 2.8 if I recall.

The Hotkeys Templates are meant for controlling DAW transport functions - Start, Stop, Record etc.

Not what OP is after.

3 hours ago, soundog said:

I used a MIDI track I created in Logic to control a HX Effects in real-time just this last weekend. You need to create an External MIDI track in Logic, then use the Event List for that MIDI track to manually enter the MIDI CC commands that rd2rk (and the manual) mentions. Make sure the event list includes the same MIDI channel you have specified for your Helix (I think it defaults to Channel 1). I'm assuming your drummer is using a click track? If so, the snapshot changes will be sent in time as long as the events are at the right place on the time line.

I'm curious - Logic doesn't allow you to record the actual performance? I've never done it with Snapshots, but Reaper records Preset changes and Note info, so I'm pretty sure it would record the Snatshot CC info. Is Logic different where recording live MIDI is concerned?

You,re correct, Logic will also record the actual performance (live input of MIDI data in real time). But if you want precise timing, I find its usually easier to enter manually (or edit after the live input) to get precise placement of the Snapshot changes. So, Snapshot #1 where a verse appears on the timeline, #2 for chorus, etc..... But to each his own when finding what works best for them.

18 minutes ago, soundog said:

You,re correct, Logic will also record the actual performance (live input of MIDI data in real time). But if you want precise timing, I find its usually easier to enter manually (or edit after the live input) to get precise placement of the Snapshot changes. So, Snapshot #1 where a verse appears on the timeline, #2 for chorus, etc..... But to each his own when finding what works best for them.

Thanks. I can't imagine ever needing robotic assistance for the simple stuff I do, but it is kinda cool, and a lot of big acts have had their roadies doing their effects from backstage for a long time. Makes hitting those Rock Star poses just right so much easier..... :-)