Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PC 112 vs 212

thaw

I have both because I really wanted stereo for long term use. The 212 is a lot heavier as you might expect and bigger, taking up a larger footprint on the stage. I play in a lot of small clubs, so stage space is a premium. I often have to turn the 212 on its side and/or stack it on top of the bass amp to minimize floor space. There’s more punch from the 212 because it has more power and more speaker surface area to move air. It sounds wonderful in the studio, but they’re not that different in a live situation since I’m using IEM’s in stereo anyway. Now the band is trying to go amp-less as much as possible to reduce setup and teardown time/work, reduce stage volume, and get better control of the FOH mix. So last few gigs I haven’t used either the 112+ or 212. 

I’d say if you’re use to a 1x12 traditional guitar amp, the 112+ is fine. If you’re doing a lot of ambience patches in close with your audience, then a 212 might be better.

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 1:35 AM, Zilthy said:

My question is, does the 2x12 give enough 'thump' that I won't miss a 4x12 so much?  

I still have to use the PC212 with the band at full volume, due to covid19, but in my experience you always loose some thump when going from 4x12 to 2x12 unless you go for XXL formats.

There's no way to avoid that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 1:35 AM, Zilthy said:

My question is, does the 2x12 give enough 'thump' that I won't miss a 4x12 so much?  

I finally used the 212 with the band and I'm very pleased.

I tested several Irs I've loaded in the cab and sounded really good to me. 

I've added an eq with +3dB @ 80hZ to get a feel closer to a 4x12.