Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Go manual now available

phil_m

• phil_m pinned this topic

Thanks Phil. Great news.  Any idea when the editor will be ready ?  Do you know if the release date is still on schedule for April ?  Think the release of manual is a good sign release will be on or near scheduled April release date.

16 minutes ago, marhil said:

Thanks Phil. Great news.  Any idea when the editor will be ready ?  Do you know if the release date is still on schedule for April ?  Think the release of manual is a good sign release will be on or near scheduled April release date.

Retailers should be getting their first shipments in April, yes. It appears that all of the units in those shipments are already spoken for in the way of pre-orders, though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 11:01 AM, marhil said:

POD Go Edit is available now, but as with HX Edit, it won't really do anything unless you have POD Go connected.

• 6 months later...

I just bought and registered my POD Go. Simple question: I've owned a lot of Line 6 gear over the years, right back to the original 'vintage' POD, and they always came with paper manuals/booklets, usually an owner's manual and a Pilot's Guide. I didn't get anything like that with the POD Go, only the warranty, Firmware and Cheat Sheet paperwork.
Was the box missing the manuals, or are they only available online? (Sometimes it's faster and easier to flip through a book.)

Thanks...

14 minutes ago, windowman said:

I just bought and registered my POD Go. Simple question: I've owned a lot of Line 6 gear over the years, right back to the original 'vintage' POD, and they always came with paper manuals/booklets, usually an owner's manual and a Pilot's Guide. I didn't get anything like that with the POD Go, only the warranty, Firmware and Cheat Sheet paperwork.
Was the box missing the manuals, or are they only available online? (Sometimes it's faster and easier to flip through a book.)

Thanks...

The full manual is only available online. The only printed documentation that comes in the box is the Cheat Sheet, as you said.

• Like 1

Thanks, Phil. That's what I thought. To be a further PITA, I'll probably want to replace the power supply with something a little more heavy duty and definitely a longer cord.

Would you happen to know what I'd be looking for there or if Line 6 sells a better, more durable option?

• 11 months later...
On 10/6/2021 at 7:17 AM, rarellano said:

When 1.3 manual version?

I doubt there will be a 1.3 manual. There was a 1.2 manual because it coincided with the release of the POD Go Wireless. But typically, Line 6 only releases new manuals for major number releases. Any relevant information on the use of the new features with the 1.30 update are described in the release notes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 9:56 PM, phil_m said:

I doubt there will be a 1.3 manual. There was a 1.2 manual because it coincided with the release of the POD Go Wireless. But typically, Line 6 only releases new manuals for major number releases. Any relevant information on the use of the new features with the 1.30 update are described in the release notes.

They really should though - there's several new functions in the POD Go itself (meaning, not in PG Edit) which aren't documented in the patch notes (which is relatively hard to find as it is, and unless Google starts helping out, will become lost to time), and most people won't know how to use them without looking at Youtube videos (even the Line 6 one doesn't show how to trigger most actions). PG Edit's manual probably got an update for that exact reason - to explain how to trigger the new features.

2 hours ago, skryptus said:

They really should though - there's several new functions in the POD Go itself (meaning, not in PG Edit) which aren't documented in the patch notes (which is relatively hard to find as it is, and unless Google starts helping out, will become lost to time), and most people won't know how to use them without looking at Youtube videos (even the Line 6 one doesn't show how to trigger most actions). PG Edit's manual probably got an update for that exact reason - to explain how to trigger the new features.

Oh, yes, I forgot about that… They do update the manual for POD Go Edit with every firmware update, so that will include all the relevant new features. They don’t update the hardware manual because of international regulations regarding translation and having translated manuals available for dozens of languages.

I think those regulations only apply to the manual included with the device (at least in the EU), and even that one is not followed to the law (there should be a manual, or whatever they include as such, in the language of the countries it's sold in, but I live in Portugal and I don't get a portuguese pamphlet.. Not that I mind). As a rule, that one's never updated unless to reflect actual model changes, at least that I heard of. 

But for the online available manuals, there aren't such restrictions (again, at least in Europe, and especially when the company is based in the US and has no website dedicated to the European customers like some companies do) - most tech companies only have online manuals in English plus half a dozen more languages. 

15 hours ago, skryptus said:

I think those regulations only apply to the manual included with the device (at least in the EU), and even that one is not followed to the law (there should be a manual, or whatever they include as such, in the language of the countries it's sold in, but I live in Portugal and I don't get a portuguese pamphlet.. Not that I mind). As a rule, that one's never updated unless to reflect actual model changes, at least that I heard of. 

But for the online available manuals, there aren't such restrictions (again, at least in Europe, and especially when the company is based in the US and has no website dedicated to the European customers like some companies do) - most tech companies only have online manuals in English plus half a dozen more languages. 

This is what Eric Klein (the Line 6/YGG Chief Product Architect) said about it - 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/page-3242#post-29615341

It's all translation costs. If we only needed to do English, I'd already have written a 500-page behemoth for everyone to peruse on the toilet. Instead, trade law legally obligates us to provide content-identical manuals for any hardware we manufacture in TWENTY-SEVEN languages. The money we spend every year on manual translations could pay for additional engineers, and we'd much prefer the latter.

For whatever reason, software doesn't have the same stipulations, so the manuals for HX Edit and Helix Native get updated every single rev.

TL;DR: I'm not happy about it either.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...