Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Boot Failure-Entered Update Mode

DynamicNugZ92

hi if anyone could help me it would save me some time because all i wanted to do was update my new helix lt and get to recording and jamming im not savy with recording and the guy at guitar center never explained that this pedal board would be such a hassle i followed forums unistalled everything related too line 6 and re downloaded everything try different things nothing someone please help because if not im just gonna return it and get my money back and try to get a axe fx 2

If you're trying to upgrade to 2.82 from a pre-2.80 firmware, seeing that warning is part of the update process. You should see a dialog box where you can press OK for the update to proceed. If you're not seeing that box, try shutting down Line 6 Updater, and try doing the update again. It should go through. You may want to try a different USB port and/or USB cable if possible.

On 3/11/2020 at 3:59 PM, DynamicNugZ92 said:

hi if anyone could help me it would save me some time because all i wanted to do was update my new helix lt and get to recording and jamming im not savy with recording and the guy at guitar center never explained that this pedal board would be such a hassle i followed forums unistalled everything related too line 6 and re downloaded everything try different things nothing someone please help because if not im just gonna return it and get my money back and try to get a axe fx 2

First thing that I need to mention is, when seeking assistance from the users of this forum, it is a great help to supply as much relevant information as possible. For example what computer and operating system you are using and what version number of the firmware you are currently using and are tying to update to. Help us to help you.

You seem to have adopted the idea that your situation is due to the “guy at GC” or Line 6 making things “such a hassle” rather than something you may have inadvertently done incorrectly. To succeed you need to follow the update instructions exactly and if you feel that it may be beyond your capabilities, you could well try getting a fourteen year old kid to do it for you.

For a solution you might like to try following the link supplied by “Peter” in his post above. You could also try typing “Boot Failure” into the search box at the top of the page and follow any of the many replies to similar issues. I usually jump to help out anyone with problems regarding their Helix, but even though I understand your frustration, I seem to detect a real bad attitude. Maybe you would like to reappraise your first post.

As for returning the unit for your money back, do you seriously think that you would be able to manage a software upgrade on a Fractal Axe FX 2?

"Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" 

THIS IS NORMAL. DO NOT FREAK OUT, TAKE A PHOTO, AND THEN POST IT ONLINE BECAUSE EVERYONE WILL MAKE FUN OF YOU FOR NOT READING THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/helixhx-282-release-notes-r928/

5 hours ago, DynamicNugZ92 said:

i ended up returning it and i read that installing any software on internet explore for line 6 can corupt the files when downloaded i have figure out this pedal since i have gotten another and works perfectly thanks for the help though

Glad to hear that you have got it figured out and now you are a happy Line 6 user. Have fun with the new toy.

I got my Helix this morning and I started the update procedure and the exact same thing happened,, "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" and Line 6 Updater showed nothing,, my Helix was not detected in the Updater,,, even though it WAS detected when I started the update procedure to v2.82.

I restarted the Helix and my PC several time to no avail.

This was really nerve wracking, I thought I bricked my Helix without hearing how it sounds.

The solution was change the USB port from the front of my PC to the back, and restart Line 6 Updater,, then it appeared and I continued the update normally.

The strange thing is I started the update from the front USB ports.. but they stopped working in the middle of the update WTF~!

The front USB ports working perfectly fine with everything I used them for up till now.

Line 6 should really stress the importance of using the back USB ports of the PC while updating,, or fix their Updater software which definitely broken in that regard.

On 3/17/2020 at 4:25 PM, Ilya-V said:

The solution was change the USB port from the front of my PC to the back, and restart Line 6 Updater,, then it appeared and I continued the update normally.

Welcome to the realisation that the front USB ports on many PC boxes actually function as a USB hub. It’s one BIG thing that Line 6 state about USB - avoid using a hub.

File under Weird and Mysterious”  digital modelling stuff, along with the fact that your printer may work fine on that very long cable, but your Helix won’t play nice. Fun, ain’t it?

It's not funny when you almost have a heart attack bricking your brand new Helix before hearing a single note out of it.

At the very least they should stress the importance of using the back USB ports in red bold letters.

5 hours ago, Ilya-V said:

It's not funny when you almost have a heart attack bricking your brand new Helix before hearing a single note out of it.

At the very least they should stress the importance of using the back USB ports in red bold letters.

No, it is not funny, but I seriously doubt that you would “brick” your Helix, it is built like a tank. You’re dealing with software which controls the hardware, if it screws up, simply reinstall the software. Now, an electronic or mechanical failure is a different matter, although Line 6 repairs are very good.

As for stressing the importance of USB connections - well, that’s not exactly a secret. At the bottom left hand corner of this page is a black dot containing a white question mark in a white circle, click on that and scroll down to the “Common Product FAQ” then you should see the link named “USB connection issues”.  From that link you can find another link to an article named “USB Audio Troubleshooting”.

Or, save yourself the hassle - you could simply follow this link to the same Knowledge Base article:

Oh, yeah - it was first posted to these forums way back in 2006, so it was a known issue 14 years back and, as it hasn’t been changed since then, I guess the advice still stands.

Hope this helps/makes sense.