Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Computer wont talk to Helix LT

Helicksher2

Hi All' 

I'm totally new to Helix, just got an LT. I've downloaded the latest version of HX Edit, plugged in my USB Cable to the Helix and computer. The computer makes that "you just plugged a USB device into me" noise but when I run HX Edit I get a "No Device Connected" message.

I know the cable and port are good because I've just been talking to my Fractal FX8 using all the same gear.  Is there some trick to this or should it just start talking. I've tried rebooting the computer, rebooting the LT, firing up HX Edit with the LT already connected, firing up HX Edit, then plugging in the LT. No joy :-(

This is not a brand new unit but the guy I bought it off has updated it to 2.82 so clearly it was working for him.

What am I missing? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running Win10.

Cheers

I understood that the drivers were installed automatically when you installed HX Edit, am I wrong about that? If so, where do I get the drivers from, I can't find them on the Line 6 site (This is not surprising though, I also can't see that bottle of beer in the fridge, you know, the one sitting right at the front in plain view :-) )

30 minutes ago, Helicksher2 said:

I understood that the drivers were installed automatically when you installed HX Edit, am I wrong about that?

You are right.

Disconnect the Helix and reinstall HX Edit (when you get to the options section of the install, leave them all checked).

I would also try annother port (sometimes the Helix is a little picky)

I've got the same problem, Helix LT with 2.81 firmware, HX Edit 2.82. Tried reinstalling it, reinstalling the drivers, so far nothing worked.

I think it's a problem with HX Edit, the Helix works fine as an USB audio soundcard. I wonder if some Windows update might have broken the software somehow. 

7 minutes ago, Tom067 said:

I've got the same problem, Helix LT with 2.81 firmware, HX Edit 2.82. Tried reinstalling it, reinstalling the drivers, so far nothing worked.

I think it's a problem with HX Edit, the Helix works fine as an USB audio soundcard. I wonder if some Windows update might have broken the software somehow. 

Have you tried a different USB cable?

I've tried almost all my motherboard USB ports, none make HX Edit work. I don't believe it has to do with the USB specifically, because it looks HX Edit crashes when it sees the Helix. The device is correctly recognised in Windows and I can use it as an USB soundcard, so it seems to be fine.

So a little update on this. I noticed that my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 soundcard had a similar problem to the Helix, the firmware updater and ASIO control panel didn't work anymore.

I checked the Device Manager and found out that the Focusrite devices all had the event "Device not migrated". After trying to reinstall the drivers without success, I performed a system restore.

After that, I reinstalled the drivers and the soundcard was back to normal. The Helix though, no budge. Line 6 Updater can see the device and update it, so I updated it to the 2.82 firmware, but HX Edit still crashes when connecting to the Helix LT. I noticed that in Device Manager there is a line with Device not Migrated as well, so I suspect it is a similar issue to my soundcard.

I've seen the same thing in other threads here, unfortunately they were left unresolved: https://line6.com/support/topic/47763-hx-edit-no-device-connected-problem-help-please/

https://line6.com/support/topic/46308-hx-edit-crashing/

The telltale sign that something is very wrong is that HX Edit displays a transparent window even when the Helix is powered down and disconnected, instead of the normal black empty screen that I used to get before, when I didn't have Helix connected. 

At this point I'm wondering if I should just reinstall Windows altogether, but I'd prefer to avoid it and see if there are any other options out there.

Well it appears that even though the HX Edit software, during installation, asks you if you want to load the HX Drivers, you still seem to need to go and load them separately. Well this is what happened to me anyway. So I went back to the downloads page and found them, downloaded them and installed them. Now it works faultlessly. I've loaded the software on to my laptop and two desktops and have had no issues.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions. 

On 3/14/2020 at 8:16 PM, mikehendo said:

Well it appears that even though the HX Edit software, during installation, asks you if you want to load the HX Drivers, you still seem to need to go and load them separately. Well this is what happened to me anyway. So I went back to the downloads page and found them, downloaded them and installed them. Now it works faultlessly. I've loaded the software on to my laptop and two desktops and have had no issues.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions. 

Which driver version did you install, 1.91? I tried to reinstall them but it didn't work. 

That would be some sort of driver conflict, used to get that with an old soundcard some time ago. I don't have anything like that installed so I doubt it matters. It's just weird that it was working pretty nicely a week ago and now it doesn't. Same USB cable, direct to motherboard USB ports... doesn't seem to make a difference.