Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Important Safety Information for G10/G10S/G10T Owners

phil_m

13 hours ago, danny6869 said:

So, after having purchased a shiny new Yamaha THRII, I am looking to buy a G10T to go with it.  I found a vendor with one in stock.  Should I just buy that one, and update the firmware, or should I wait for a proper refresh to be released?  Is that actually going to be happening any time soon?  or is Line 6 busy with other covid-19 related things??

(I really am trying to be patient...but...I can't)

As much as I'd like to say otherwise, I'd look for something else if I were you. If you order a new one it's gonna come with the new firmware whether you like it or not and the battery life is significantly reduced from what it used to be. To L6's credit, they replaced my unit when the update reduced my battery life from 6+ hours to less than 3 hours... unfortunately the firmware "fix" simply doesn't allow the battery to charge to full capacity anymore, and my new one is behaving just like the old one. After just a little over an hour of playing, I'm down to one green bar on the display from a "full" charge, whereas in the past the display would indicate a "full" 3 bars for more than 2 hours.

Maybe this was a case of "there's no 'good' solution, so we're doing what we gotta do under the circumstances", I have no idea... all I know is that the product doesn't behave the way it used to, at least not for me. And that's a shame, because I liked it.

It works fine, and it sounds good... it just doesn't do it for very long anymore. When, or even if this will ever be addressed again is anybody's guess... and like anything else, there's no guarantee that any further updates will be forthcoming. And even if something is in the pipeline, they're unlikely to announce it in here.

Just my 2 cents, and ymmv... it's your call.

This is cord related so I hope this is the right place to ask. Bought my G10S 11/19 and just heard about this. I followed all instructions and everything went smooth but as you can see in the picture mine came with a 9v 5a power supply. There is no USB cord. Does this even apply to mine, and if it doesn't then it should be stated in the beginning to save me a lot of time, but I digress. Anyways, if I do need to follow through, what cord do I use? I haven't had any problems, everything works fine. Thanks for any help I can get.

Line6_G10S.jpg

13 minutes ago, zaz090 said:

This is cord related so I hope this is the right place to ask. Bought my G10S 11/19 and just heard about this. I followed all instructions and everything went smooth but as you can see in the picture mine came with a 9v 5a power supply. There is no USB cord. Does this even apply to mine, and if it doesn't then it should be stated in the beginning to save me a lot of time, but I digress. Anyways, if I do need to follow through, what cord do I use? I haven't had any problems, everything works fine. Thanks for any help I can get.

Line6_G10S.jpg

You don't have anything to worry about. The USB cable involved in the recall was an accessory that was sold separately.

23 hours ago, phil_m said:

You don't have anything to worry about. The USB cable involved in the recall was an accessory that was sold separately.

That's what I thought but better safe than sorry. Thanks for your Answer!!

• 1 month later...

I got the safety email, followed the instructions, updated the firmware on both transmitter and receiver. Now the charge only lasts about 15 minutes and then dies. This did not happen before and I could play a full evening session with it. Whats happening? Has anyone else experienced this disaster?

So, I had updated both parts of my G10, one failed, was left with non-functioning brick with red pulsing lights.  I opened a ticket, followed their 'try again' instructions, different cable, different computer etc, and was eventually referred to the service center in the UK (and they confirmed that although well out of warranty, there would be no charge to me).  They don't list an email address which is odd these days, but I rang them, got the address to send my unit to.  COVID19 lockdown happened while it was in the post, they shut, they then returned weeks later and found a Post Office card through their door, assumed it had been returned to sender.  A few weeks later I chased it up online, saw it was still in their local mail depot, arranged redelivery.  Sorted.  A week after that fuss, I got a call today to say that a replacement unit is being sent out.  Let's see if it's my old one back from the dead (don't think so, they said replacement), same model with new firmware and bad battery life, or something new that will perform as it should...   I am NEVER updating this thing again!

So don't throw them away, do open a ticket and see what happens.

1 hour ago, br_campbell said:

Let's see if it's my old one back from the dead (don't think so, they said replacement)...

Not likely... with stuff in this price range, it's usually more cost effective to just give you a new one, as opposed to fixing a faulty unit.

same model with new firmware and bad battery life.

That's exactly what I got...

or something new that will perform as it should...

Don't hold your breath...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Not likely... with stuff in this price range, it's usually more cost effective to just give you a new one, as opposed to fixing a faulty unit.

That's exactly what I got...

Don't hold your breath...

Yeah that's what I'm expecting.  Better than a dead brick, though, and should tide me over to decide on an upgrade!

On 3/20/2020 at 3:05 AM, meshubben said:

@Line6Tony What do you mean by new ? Are they just "old" hardware with latest firmware ? Is line6 aware of the the poor battery life with the latest firmware ?

I am having the same issue. I have two G10, updated both of them. Both are having much worse battery life than before. At least 4 times worse. I would typically play between 1-2hours a day, and before FW upgrade it would last me 4-5 days at least. Now I need to recharge them after single day 

10 hours ago, bigboki said:

I am having the same issue. I have two G10, updated both of them. Both are having much worse battery life than before. At least 4 times worse. I would typically play between 1-2hours a day, and before FW upgrade it would last me 4-5 days at least. Now I need to recharge them after single day 

Welcome to the club. They had a problem with melting batteries, and this is "fix"... it is what it is, and it ain't gonna change.

21 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Welcome to the club. They had a problem with melting batteries, and this is "fix"... it is what it is, and it ain't gonna change.

If that is the case, they should recall whole product and return the money spend on it.

My units perfectly worked for me until I stupidly upgraded both :(

13 hours ago, bigboki said:

If that is the case, they should recall whole product and return the money spend on it.

I agree with you... but that isn't gonna happen either. Get a BOSS WL-50 and call it a day. Normally I never update anything without looking for fallout from the early adopters... but this time I just went ahead and did it. Lesson learned.

I do not even use mine anymore.  The battery life is so bad and I do not want to leave the amp on to keep it charged.  The product should be recalled and replaced.  Nice to get the $18 for the cable but now I also have a $99 brick for a transmitter AND there will be no replacement charging cable.  Using an old school cable now.  I think if I ever do get another wireless system it will NOT be Line6.

I've opened a ticket and stated that the equipment is now useless and asked what they were going to do about it. This is Line 6 UK. We shall see. What really annoys me, is the fact that the thing has worked perfectly for more than two years.

• 1 month later...

You know what I want? I still want a refund. A refund for the piece of garbage that is the Relay G10S. Having worked with electronics all my life. Having spent 20 years working on machines from IBM to Dell and HP. There is more to this whole fiasco than Line is admitting. Hardware failures are dominoes waiting to fall. I would be willing to bet a fortune that this particular issue goes hand in hand with crappy sub par performance of all the relay devices. This is just a way for Line to mitigate the damage. 

• 2 months later...

I have a G10 and I'm very satisfied with it. I have noticed the safety notice stating G10's should be updated to newer firmware to fix charging issues.

But until now I haven't experienced such charging issues. So should I update or leave it as it is? I have always learned "if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it".

I have also read multiple topics about several issues after updating the G10. So I am very reluctant to update my G10 as I have no problems now and I really am not waiting for problems after an update.

Can someone please advise me in this?