Jump to content
phil_m

Important Safety Information for G10/G10S/G10T Owners

Recommended Posts

https://line6.com/g10recall/

 

Please note that even though the link is labeled "recall", the recall only applies to the USB charging cable, which is an accessory that's sold separately from the systems themselves , not the G10 hardware itself. There are firmware update instructions for the transmitter in the link.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmmm...not so impressed to see an important safety warning for my Relay G10 that requires a firmware update and then to discover that the updater will not install on my Mac, which is on Catalina

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jc_x_c said:

Mmmm...not so impressed to see an important safety warning for my Relay G10 that requires a firmware update and then to discover that the updater will not install on my Mac, which is on Catalina

 

 

Updater should work on Catalina according to this:

When you say it won't install, what exactly is happening?

 

I'd recommend opening up a support ticket if you continue to have problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, jc_x_c said:

Mmmm...not so impressed to see an important safety warning for my Relay G10 that requires a firmware update and then to discover that the updater will not install on my Mac, which is on Catalina

 

 

What error message did you get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too am experiencing issues downloading updates on Catalina 10.15.3

 

Here's the error message

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 10.15.13.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DJTanner said:

I too am experiencing issues downloading updates on Catalina 10.15.3

 

Here's the error message

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 10.15.13.png

 

I believe if you right click on the icon for the installation package wherever you have it saved, you can click "open", and then you should be shown a dialog box where you can choose run. You may have to enter your Mac password in order for it go through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I followed the instructions and did the update and now my receiver is flashing red - why?  My transmitter is solid green which means it is fully charged.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tjmaclean said:

I followed the instructions and did the update and now my receiver is flashing red - why?  My transmitter is solid green which means it is fully charged.  

TJ, we're sorry you're running into trouble. Please register your G10 and create a ticket at www.Line6.com/support/tickets so we can look into it. Please make sure to include any error information the updater displayed, if any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done - registered and ticket created.  fyi there were no error messages during install.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accomplished the update ( G10S)  but it wasn't clear if the transmitter had to be pushed all the way into the unit to the charge position or not.  Eventually I updated it with it pushed all the way in.

Also noticed when done I had to move the frequency knob off of Auto to a numbered channel and then back before it put out sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indianrock2020 said:

Accomplished the update ( G10S)  but it wasn't clear if the transmitter had to be pushed all the way into the unit to the charge position or not.  Eventually I updated it with it pushed all the way in.

Also noticed when done I had to move the frequency knob off of Auto to a numbered channel and then back before it put out sound.

 

There are two updates... one for the transmitter and one for the receiver. L6 Updater won't recognize the transmitter until it's fully seated in the receiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Line 6 recall is providing no information on a USB cable that has tested safe for use with the Relay G10 to replace the one we are asked to destroy. So I brick the unit and you give me $18 in return? Or I roll the dice and buy some cable that may or may not be a fire hazard? WTF guys!? You replace the faulty part with a good one - or you take the whole thing back and refund all costs. That's how it works.

 

Clearly Line 6 isn't providing a replacement to avoid future liability. If we buy our own cable it's our problem if it catches fire. If the floor unit is pulling excessive current for the cable provided, why is it safe for any other random cable I can buy? It isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Figured that out eventually... got both updated... That's when the little oddity with the frequency selector occurred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mrmyles said:

The Line 6 recall is providing no information on a USB cable that has tested safe for use with the Relay G10 to replace the one we are asked to destroy. So I brick the unit and you give me $18 in return? Or I roll the dice and buy some cable that may or may not be a fire hazard? WTF guys!? You replace the faulty part with a good one - or you take the whole thing back and refund all costs. That's how it works.

 

Clearly Line 6 isn't providing a replacement to avoid future liability. If we buy our own cable it's our problem if it catches fire. If the floor unit is pulling excessive current for the cable provided, why is it safe for any other random cable I can buy? It isn't.


The USB charging cable in the recall is not the cable that comes with the unit. It was an accessory that was sold separately for $15. See the image below:

 

71ZyGt7gwpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Line6 going to manufacture replacement charging cables?  Nice to get the money refunded for sure - but I got the cable for a reason in the first place.  Would sure like to get a replacement!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 8:58 AM, mjkellerii said:

Is Line6 going to manufacture replacement charging cables?  Nice to get the money refunded for sure - but I got the cable for a reason in the first place.  Would sure like to get a replacement!

 

Hi. Unfortunately, we don't plan to replace the charging cable with a different version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this mean Line 6 will start selling the transmitters again?  I broke my transmitter just before this all went down and couldn't find them in the stores anymore.  I miss my G10!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New G10 transmitters and systems will be in stores likely after next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 @Line6Tony What do you mean by new ? Are they just "old" hardware with latest firmware ? Is line6 aware of the the poor battery life with the latest firmware ?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 2:05 AM, meshubben said:

 @Line6Tony What do you mean by new ? Are they just "old" hardware with latest firmware ? Is line6 aware of the the poor battery life with the latest firmware ?

 

There should not be poor battery life with the new firmware. I have not experienced that with my G10S. If you are, open up a support ticket so Line 6 can help you out.

 

I believe the transmitters that are going back to retailers are the ones that the stop was placed on, just with the updated firmware applied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My support ticket has been updated, as I have asked information about the diminished autonomy

 

Quote

The maximum capacity was reduced from ca. 8 hours before the update to around six hours But in your case there's an issue with the battery (if the update is applied to an already diminished battery this can happen) So the whole transmitter should be replaced

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that I am not the only one experiencing the post FW update poor battery life.

 

I appreciate receiving the email from Line 6 regarding the FW update and safety alert. Did the update without issue; it was a simple >10 min 2 step process. 

 

However, as apparently others are reporting, since doing the update my G10 transmitter is losing its charge faster than before the update.

 

I can barely get 2 hours of play time before the transmitter goes from fully charged (3 greens bars) to 1 green bar. One charge will never last me through a gig. I never had to recharge during a gig before the update.

 

Hey Line 6, is there a future update that will give me back the 4+ hours I need to get through a gig? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mxk116 said:

I see that I am not the only one experiencing the post FW update poor battery life.

 

I appreciate receiving the email from Line 6 regarding the FW update and safety alert. Did the update without issue; it was a simple >10 min 2 step process. 

 

However, as apparently others are reporting, since doing the update my G10 transmitter is losing its charge faster than before the update.

 

I can barely get 2 hours of play time before the transmitter goes from fully charged (3 greens bars) to 1 green bar. One charge will never last me through a gig. I never had to recharge during a gig before the update.

 

Hey Line 6, is there a future update that will give me back the 4+ hours I need to get through a gig? 

 

Are you going just by the bars on the receiver, or has your transmitter actually started blinking red as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason I'm asking about whether you're going from the indicator on the receiver versus the actual transmitter indicator, btw, is that I noticed today that on my receiver, it was down to one last red LED (not blinking yet), but I was still able to play for another 1.25 hours. Even then, my transmitter LED hadn't started blinking red. So perhaps the indicators are just out of sync?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 8:21 AM, Line6Tony said:

New G10 transmitters and systems will be in stores likely after next week.

 

So has there been a transmitter hardware revision or not?

What was the purpose of the entire G10 lineup hardware recall if all that was needed is a firmware update?

 

I bought a G10S a few hours ago, and would really appreciate a sincere reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kenzo_aus said:

Unresponsive G10T after Update

 

I updated G10T through my Spider V60 amp using my ipad and the Line 6 app.  I went away and came back and their was a message on the ipad that the updater had failed.  Left it for an hour just in case it was ‘thinking’, but not change.  Nothing would budge from that screen. So restarted and ran it again and it seemed to go okay.  However, when i plug the G10 into my guitar, it goes green, but is silent.  I am not getting any sound.  

 

If i plug the G10 into the amp, it recognizes its there and says it has 1.04 on it and the amp, 1.02.  

 

When i charge it on the amp, the green light on the G10 flashes and the charging icon shows it is charging, but it does this continuously and doesn’t stop. Even when the green light on the G10 goes solid.

 

I loved my G10T now it doesn’t work. How do I fix this please?

 

Ken

 Do you have access to a Mac or a PC at all? It sounds like the failed update is probably causing problems.

PS - I think I accidentally deleted your post. I was trying to delete a post of mine, and somehow yours was selected. The original post of yours is in my quote above, though. Sorry about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ilya-V said:

 

So has there been a transmitter hardware revision or not?

What was the purpose of the entire G10 lineup hardware recall if all that was needed is a firmware update?

 

I bought a G10S a few hours ago, and would really appreciate a sincere reply.

 

No hardware update, just a firmware update.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received the email and ran the updater.  Receiver has updated, but the transmitter update gets to about 90% and then fails - I've followed the instructions to the letter, and tried on both Mac and Windows, same result.  What next?  Had the G10 for several years and haven't had any issues at all.  Transmitter is on 1.02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, br_campbell said:

Received the email and ran the updater.  Receiver has updated, but the transmitter update gets to about 90% and then fails - I've followed the instructions to the letter, and tried on both Mac and Windows, same result.  What next?  Had the G10 for several years and haven't had any issues at all.  Transmitter is on 1.02

 

If you never had any heat issue, just don't do it! It will kill the battery life down to 50%, and you can't go back from there.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PierM said:

 

If you never had any heat issue, just don't do it! It will kill the battery life down to 50%, and you can't go back from there.

 

 

Thanks - wish I'd seen those threads before I ran the updater!  Transmitter now won't pair to receiver.  Guess it's ticket time.  Either they fix it, or I get hold of an older FW file for the receiver and reflash, or I'm switching to another brand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, br_campbell said:

 

Thanks - wish I'd seen those threads before I ran the updater!  Transmitter now won't pair to receiver.  Guess it's ticket time.  Either they fix it, or I get hold of an older FW file for the receiver and reflash, or I'm switching to another brand...

 

Good luck finding the old firmware... but should you accomplish the impossible,  I'll take a copy. This "fix"is... well let's just call it "underwhelming".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow, close call, the email we got from Yamaha/Line6 was really confusing and misleading.  I'm glad I read more carefully and I didn't destroy the USB power cord that came with my  G10 unit. 

 

I'm curious, what the heck was the purpose of the recalled "Line 6 Relay G10T USB Charging Cable" anyways?   It has USB on on end but some kind of 1/8" female mini plug on the other end.  What did that female end even attach to on a G10?  Doesn't make sense why anyone would have paid extra for this "accessory".

 

71ZyGt7gwpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, garykob57 said:

Oh wow, close call, the email we got from Yamaha/Line6 was really confusing and misleading.  I'm glad I read more carefully and I didn't destroy the USB power cord that came with my  G10 unit. 

 

I'm curious, what the heck was the purpose of the recalled "Line 6 Relay G10T USB Charging Cable" anyways?   It has USB on on end but some kind of 1/8" female mini plug on the other end.  What did that female end even attach to on a G10?  Doesn't make sense why anyone would have paid extra for this "accessory".

 

71ZyGt7gwpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

 

It was helpful if you had multiple transmitters and wanted to charge one transmitter while you were using the receiver with the other one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah.  It was also helpful if you got the transmitter inly with a Spider V - as you could charge the G10 without having to leave the amp powered on.  So now I either have to buy a transmitter - or a new G10S system?  Sucks!  Line 6 should manufacture a replacement cable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, after having purchased a shiny new Yamaha THRII, I am looking to buy a G10T to go with it.  I found a vendor with one in stock.  Should I just buy that one, and update the firmware, or should I wait for a proper refresh to be released?  Is that actually going to be happening any time soon?  or is Line 6 busy with other covid-19 related things??

 

(I really am trying to be patient...but...I can't)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...