Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reference Help - 80's rock tone - technique cleanup

themetallikid

So (don't judge me too harshly) I had a craving for some White Lion while at work today. And the only album I know is the first one, don't really even know about the band really just the two main singles off of it and growing up the guitar work always stood out.  Now that I listen to it, I listen to tone a lot more and technique and things like that.

So this guy is all over the neck with his work (to my ears at least)….I always dial in too much gain to cover for my playing deficiencies.  Tracks 3 and 4 have some tone that I love...it doesn't sound overly gainy but has the nice crunch...but enough gain they can do the tapping/whammy tricks stuff.

Can someone recommend me some settings on an amp model that will get me close?  I'm assuming the 2204/2204 Modded would be my start point...but if I was to cop the gain structure of this album...where would my settings start or be around.  

YES I could play around with this, but I end up dialing in more than I need to satisfy my playing. And I wanna work the other way, match the tone more and work on my playing techniques....

No judging by me - Vito Bratta is my favorite 80's player! I'm guessing you mean the album PRIDE, which was their second (and best) album. But also check out the third album BIG GAME, which had the awesome tune "Little Fighter" on it. The first and fourth albums were nowhere near as good. OK, now I gotta go break out my CDs...

Yes Pride was the name of it. As I said I was too young to enjoy that era of music 'properly' listening or activity wise, lol......but 'Wait' was my first exposure to them.  Bought the album at a Goodwill or something on a whim and loved the guitar work on the rest of it.