Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thinking of getting rid of my Fender amp after getting a Helix LT. Any recommendation?

molul

I just bought a Helix LT and, while I wasn't thinking of using the amp models, I'm starting to change my mind. I've been able to get rid of some of my pedals so this might be another improvement. 

However, I've never played without an amp so I don't really know what would I use instead. I'd rather not use the same PA system I use for voice and keyboards in my band, but a separate "something" ^_^U

Any recommendation (at around 500€ maximum, if possible) would be greatly appreciated :)

PS: Helix ROCKS!

Ive used a headrush 112,a powerstage 170 with a blackstar 212 cab and now Im trying a katana mkii 50 112 speaker and imo I like the guitar cabs with the duncan or the katana better.The headrush is good I just like the guitar cabs a little better.I dont follow the you should use and amp cab with a non frfr speaker,I use amp sim and it sill sounds good.

This was not a huge transition for me since I got into modeling bit by bit over the last 10 years, but I can understand how it can be tough for some people making the big leap all at once.  But here are some important touchstone points to bear in mind.

First, modeling is all about going from a live stage sound to a live studio sound.  If you're familiar with working in a studio using only headsets, you'll understand the difference.  If you've attended any large, professional concerts in the last 20 years you've heard it.  A lot of people get hung up on the sound of their amp on stage behind them which is not the sound your audience hears if you push your instruments through a PA.  They hear the mic'd version of that sound, just like they do in concerts or on recordings.  You can use certain approaches such as using a power amp and standard guitar cabinet to retain that live stage sound to some degree with the Helix, but it will entail certain limitations in your use of the Helix that can complicate they way your patches need to be constructed as well as complicates your overall setup.  The easiest and most straightforward way of doing things is to embrace the difference rather than fight it as have most professional concert artists whether they use modeling or not.  By and large they're all using in ears for monitors and therefore are not hearing their amps, they're hearing their amps through the monitoring system which is the mic'd version of the sound and the same sound the audience is hearing.

That doesn't mean you have to have in an ear monitoring system.  Basically any stage monitoring system these days produces the same studio or mic'd sound of the amp when you feed the Helix system to the PA console.  That doesn't mean you can't have a regular backline for stage sound.  For example, I use a Yamaha DXR12 mounted on a half height pole as my backline.  In those cases in which the venue is such that we only use the PA for vocals, my setup basically provides a backline that's equivalent to an extension of the PA system for my guitar.  So in essence my setup and presets are the same regardless of whether the instruments go through the PA or not.

That brings us to the key point of what do you use on stage for your monitoring system?  Some people are more comfortable with a flat response cabinet setup such as a powercab, some like myself prefer a PA oriented powered speaker, and others might prefer in-ears and all of those choices come down to personal preferences.  What is consistent is that the sound produced by the Helix on stage will be dependent upon your choice so it might not make a whole lot of sense to use the cheapest output device for a premium modeler as that will make a difference.

Just some key thoughts to bear in mind....

Thanks very much for all the info :) I gott guess I'll investigate for quite a while. I'll start by testing on my voice PAs to see how it sounds, and then I'll get a dedicated powered speaker. A light one, I hope, as what I most want to achieve is not having to carry the 20kg of my fender hot rod deluxe xD